Turn on thread page Beta

AQA - Chemistry B (Single, Higher) next week.... watch

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else dreading it? I messed up on the AQA (single, higher) Biology B exam and I thought AQA did not focus broadly on the course but instead concentrated only on a select few areas (the ones I was worst at, typically!).

I hope Chemistry isn't the same. Anybody have any revision tips for this exam? I hate exams worth 80% of your total marks, I get so nervous and then forget everything I learnt!

ReputationRep:
    When you say "Single" do you mean separate Sciences? Or Single Award? But yeah, either way, I'm sort of dreading it. I'm doing it for A-Level as well. I messed up on the Biology one too. I think you hit the nail on the head with your analysis of it as well - very linear focus.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sorry I meant the separate award. I'm doing it for A-Level too (I want to do Biology as well, but won't unless I get an A or A*). But nothing will stop me doing Chemistry next year (well, nothing except my school not letting you do your A-Level choice without a B or higher!)

Good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    I predicted A* for all the Sciences, and I did used to think they were kind of a speciality of mine, but ahem, after the utter failure that was Biology. I'll probably get a B. Gutted, I'm not gonna lie. Biology was supposed to be the Science. I've got 29/30 for Chem coursework though, so hopefully that'll be an advantage for this exam.

Good luck to you too.

ReputationRep:
    I got 27 for Chemistry coursework but 29 for both Physics and Biology. I was predicted A grades for all of them, I know I won't get an A* but was really sure of an A (not anymore after Biology). Luckily though, we do OCR Physics - and there are two separate papers (one of which is 7 days after my second-to-last exam so I should have plenty of time to fully revise for it!).

ReputationRep:
    I did well in my chem and bio CW but not so well in my physics. I'm quite worried about this.

ReputationRep:
    Which exam board are you doing for Physics? Which course?

ReputationRep:
    I fu cked up in Physics coursework too, and am thus, also worried. Especially as it's my weakest Science. I didn't do that well in Biology cwk either. (Chem - 29/30, Bio = 26/30, and Phys = 23/30!!!), so it's worrying. I'm doing AQA Physics. I'm not sure about the spec, but it's probably B if Chemistry is B.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I'm doing AQA Chemistry on thurs too, not too worried though. What did you guys find hard about the bio?? I thought it was ok (appart from the MMR question which I kind wittered on!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Oooh I'm doing AQA Chemistry on thurs too, not too worried though. What did you guys find hard about the bio?? I thought it was ok (appart from the MMR question which I kind wittered on!)
    Where do I start?! The bloody bird question at the end annoyed me, as did the rediculous wording and confusing layout of the sensory/relay neuron question. I felt the wording and explanation fo the questions was very poor, yet what they were looking for was probably very basic. Funnily enough, the MMR question is the only one I found okay! (seemed like an English Comp. exercise to me! ....It's always nice introducing some English comprehension exercise and basic maths/graph questions into Biology exams )

ReputationRep:
    Zhivago ~ why do you suddenly have two warning levels?!

ReputationRep:
    lol o yeh, but hes offline now, i like chem and bio, but hated phys, our teahcer was soo crap we gave in our courswork easter yr10(2004) and he came back to us a week before study leave end of april (2005) saying he needs to see TEN PEOPLE about their coursework, luckily i wasnt one of them, but talk about lazy he hadnt marked them for a yr, and makes people rush to adjsut stuff

ReputationRep:
    Zhivago ~ why do you suddenly have two warning levels?!
    I was naughty. I swore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zhivago)
    I was naughty. I swore.
    Tut tut tut

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaspray)
    Which exam board are you doing for Physics? Which course?
    AQA triple science.

(Original post by zhivago)
    I fu cked up in Physics coursework too, and am thus, also worried. Especially as it's my weakest Science. I didn't do that well in Biology cwk either. (Chem - 29/30, Bio = 26/30, and Phys = 23/30!!!), so it's worrying. I'm doing AQA Physics. I'm not sure about the spec, but it's probably B if Chemistry is B.
    Yeah, I got in the low 20s I think for physics. God, I can't even remember, but I was disappointed after trying so hard. I wanted to redo it, but didn't have time in the end because I had so much other CW to do. :rolleyes: Physics is my worst science too. I actually know n0thing. I've had the same physics teacher since year 7 and she never teaches what we need to know. I sometimes found tests and HW confusing, even when I learnt from my notes, so I gave up and learnt from the revision guide instead.

My chemistry teacher is nice, but never made us work and it was too easy not to focus. My biology teacher was strict, but good and forced us to do lots of tests last term which WAS my entire revision and helped me so much in the exam.

What are your science teachers like?

ReputationRep:
    Biology - had a ****ing legendary one. Amazing. Taught me all the knowledge ever. Then changed in year 11 to an, ahem, interesting one. Basically she was nice, but ****ing crap. Utter crap.

Chemistry - Fit! Good, but rambles on far too much, no control over the class. Young. Sit off lesson really.

Physics - very good, but also one of the old and wise types. Bores you sometimes with his extensive knowledge. Made me a bit sleepy,.

ReputationRep:
    Biology - Fanatical young liverpool fan, and so obese it looks like it might kill him. I'm talking XXXL clothes and triple chin here. A bit boring but fairly safe

Chemistry - Mardy and patronising middle aged woman. Boring beyond belief, stresses at us all the time and can't control the class.

Physics - Generally boring but safe middle aged bald man. Tries too hard to be funny, but ok as a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Biology - Absolutley dreaful. We spent two terms on Homeostasis and missed out half of the course. The less teaching he does, the better as far as he is concerned.

Chemistry - Friendly and funny but not a brilliant teacher. He's about 65 though so is a bit old fashioned with his teaching style....

Physics - I don't like him but he's a good enough teacher. At least he sticks exactly to the syllabus and doesn't drift off. Nothing annoys me more than a teacher wondering of the syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    I really do hope the paper is good. I really need an A* cos I wasnt to study Medicine at University!
    All my teachers are really good and I think they have taught me well - fingers crossed!

Good luck to you all!

ReputationRep:
    I'm working my way through the syllabus, referring to the Revision Guide when I need clearer explanations. Worked for Biology

Physics is the one I'm fearing. Stupid school giving us a crappy STUDENT teacher to teach us since just before Easter. :rolleyes: :mad:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.