Is it wrong to purposely seek out role models in your life? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
For instace, a woman of a black ethnicity purposefully seeking out good role models, who are also black, to feel better about themselves?

My housemate thinks it's suss and I should just concentrate on looking up to successful people in general, but I honestly do not see what is wrong with going to a website which has stories about black women making it in the mathematics world etc.
lordbonney
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
So long as its not stalkerish then I cant see whats wrong with it. If its encouraging you to improve yourself and be the best you can be then why not? Just dont become obsessive about it, thats a bit odd.
danbrown87
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Personally, I think having role models can be really good for you.
Anonymous #1
Lol no way, not obsessive in any way

It's just I know who I am and tbh I live with a very narrow-minded person atm. Hoping to move in a few weeks, fingers crossed!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by danbrown87)
Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. Personally, I think having role models can be really good for you.
Thanks hun, they're all positive role models IMO.

E.g. a PhD student, a scientist etc.
fallen angel9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It can be good I suppose. Personally I couldn't care less if my role model was a black woman or a white boy around my age but there you go.
Sakura-Chan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by lordbonney)
So long as its not stalkerish then I cant see whats wrong with it. If its encouraging you to improve yourself and be the best you can be then why not? Just dont become obsessive about it, thats a bit odd.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not but I'm pretty sure the OP meant seek out as in find them to be inspired by, not literally find them :p:

I personally think it's a really good idea if it'll make you feel more confident about your abilities etc
Teenamja
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sakura-Chan)
I can't tell if you're being serious or not but I'm pretty sure the OP meant seek out as in find them to be inspired by, not literally find them :p:

I personally think it's a really good idea if it'll make you feel more confident about your abilities etc
I totally agree. Having a role model is great as it shows us that something is actually achievable, rather than being left doubtful as to whether we can really make something of our lives, especially if there are lots of negative people or negativity in general around us. Role models themselves probably had role models, and most of them are strong, unique and compassionate people, and why wouldn't anybody want to be like that?
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nah, positive role models are brilliant. I have a few myself. Ryan Giggs is one, for showing a level of commitment and professionalism not seen often in the Premier League anymore, and Scroobius Pip, for his fantastic teachings. I have others too!
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by fallen angel9)
It can be good I suppose. Personally I couldn't care less if my role model was a black woman or a white boy around my age but there you go.
i'm a white boy around your age

can I be your role model? :awesome:

and to OP, no i don't think it's wrong although i dont think forcing yourself to have a role model wont help much tbh...wait until someone comes along

or one day, you may be a role model yourself :yep:
ebam_uk
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When the student is ready, the teacher will appear!
fallen angel9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anon the 7th)
i'm a white boy around your age

can I be your role model?
:awesome:

and to OP, no i don't think it's wrong although i dont think forcing yourself to have a role model wont help much tbh...wait until someone comes along

or one day, you may be a role model yourself :yep:
Course you can. :awesome:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (163)
39.09%
No - but I will (22)
5.28%
No - I don't want to (30)
7.19%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed