Turn on thread page Beta

Edex AS Module 3: Do Uni's look at your module marks for Phys? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.
    I'm planning to apply to do physics at Uni - hopefully even Oxbridge. I've just taken Edexcel Physics AS. Modules 1 & 2 went fine, but on module 3, Topics (Astronomy) I mucked up. See below for details, but suffice to say I lost 7 to 9 marks. This wouldn't be much on the normal modules, but Topic paper is only 30 marks total, so 9 marks is a good 30% lost. I'll still probably give an A for the overall AS due to the first two modules, but would Universities look at the individual module marks? I heard a rumour that Cambridge do but Oxford don't, is this true?

Details of error: the last 3 questions relied on some information on the Sun, including the radius which was in km; I read it as m. The first of the questions which included the radius was just calculating surface area; I'll probably get method marks for that one. The second one, it was a 'show that [whatever] is around 300' type question; I of course got the wrong answer, result of which I spent the last 5 minutes trying to work out what was wrong, and failed to answer the last question (Wein's law) entirely.

ReputationRep:
    No universities do. However, oxbridge will look at your personal statement to see if the teachers write "he/she has near to 100% in each module bla bla bla" it increases your chances in getting in significantly.

ReputationRep:
    Hm.. I heard that oxbridge (Both oxford AND cambridge) DO look at your module scores.. I may be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess_Sedai)
    Hm.. I heard that oxbridge (Both oxford AND cambridge) DO look at your module scores.. I may be wrong though.
    Yes both oxford and cambridge generally request modular marks. Other universities do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simxp)

Details of error: the last 3 questions relied on some information on the Sun, including the radius which was in km; I read it as m. The first of the questions which included the radius was just calculating surface area; I'll probably get method marks for that one. The second one, it was a 'show that [whatever] is around 300' type question; I of course got the wrong answer, result of which I spent the last 5 minutes trying to work out what was wrong, and failed to answer the last question (Wein's law) entirely.
    I feel your pain....how annoyin.

ReputationRep:
    For Cambridge, it varies from college to college.. For Trinity I got asked ALL my module marks!

ReputationRep:
    On the college open days I went to most colleges at Carbridge wanted module marks

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge have a separate application form which requests module results - Oxford doesn't: at least not as a university-wide thing. When I applied to Brasenose College, Oxford, for physics, they didn't ask me my module results either before or during interview. I had mentioned the 95%+'s that I got in my personal statement, but modular results were never referred to.

ReputationRep:
    oxford phone your college for them.. or at least one college did. it was subtle until the department had to phone one kid to ask for his because they'd lost it. cambridge are more upfront, you write it on a seperate form

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.