The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ant87
has anyone who got rejected first time round, from all four choices for medicine, gone on to successfuly reapply the next year? and what did you do to fill up your time and improve your profile for applying during your unexpected gap year?

thanks.xx

Hey, a friend of mine was in the same position. He didn't really have time to improve the work experience he'd done before reapplying, so instead he wrote about what he would do. He spent 3 months working in a medical station in Australia and volunteered with VIDES. He also changed his PS a bit. He wrote more about his strengths and weakenesses, how he thinks he will cope with a career in medicine, his desired career path, how his work experience has benefited him and his percieved downsides of the profession.

He ended up getting 3 offers and starts at Newcastle this September.
Reply 2
Blates as
Hey, a friend of mine was in the same position. He didn't really have time to improve the work experience he'd done before reapplying, so instead he wrote about what he would do. He spent 3 months working in a medical station in Australia and volunteered with VIDES. He also changed his PS a bit. He wrote more about his strengths and weakenesses, how he thinks he will cope with a career in medicine, his desired career path, how his work experience has benefited him and his percieved downsides of the profession.

He ended up getting 3 offers and starts at Newcastle this September.

Im coming Manchester (i hope!) whats it like?
Reply 3
AtSnIaB-42
Im coming Manchester (i hope!) whats it like?

Manchester is awesome! PBL can be hard work but thats really just down to how much work you do. The social side of the course is great (if you get good PBL groups) theres always stuff going on. The Medics Ball was brilliant.

You get a fair amount of lab and some boring lectures but on the whole its pretty good. Dissection is good - did you get shown around the DR on your interview? The first four weeks is preperation for PBL and you have to sit through some mind-numbing lectures. You also get introduced to the "Manchester Spiral of Knowledge" - a real treat!
Reply 4
Blates as
Manchester is awesome! PBL can be hard work but thats really just down to how much work you do. The social side of the course is great (if you get good PBL groups) theres always stuff going on. The Medics Ball was brilliant.

You get a fair amount of lab and some boring lectures but on the whole its pretty good. Dissection is good - did you get shown around the DR on your interview? The first four weeks is preperation for PBL and you have to sit through some mind-numbing lectures. You also get introduced to the "Manchester Spiral of Knowledge" - a real treat!

COOOOOL. We only got to see the outside of the DR. What sort of stuff do you do during lab work?
Reply 5
ant87
has anyone who got rejected first time round, from all four choices for medicine, gone on to successfuly reapply the next year? and what did you do to fill up your time and improve your profile for applying during your unexpected gap year?

thanks.xx

Hey there
I got four rejections the first year i applied and I applied second time round with my grades and got a place.
Basically wrote in my ps what i was going to do this year, I did loads of volunteer experience, worked in a hospice, worked in an old peoples home all this stuff is full time. I also had a work experience placement planned abroad which would have been excellent if my plans hadnt flopped lol
but basically improved my ps and got a lot of experience. Now of ocurse im earning the dosh for uni.
Good luck to y'all

Angel M
xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending