ITS Account and windows live mail Watch

James21090
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Atm I use windows live mail to view email, can someone guide me through setting up my new account ([email protected]) with live mail since there is only guides for outlook on the site.
Thanks very much!
KaramelRose
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ooh, where's the instructions for Outlook? As I use Outlook and have been trying to find the instructions but to no avail.

Sorry I can't help on the Windows Live front though...
James21090
(Original post by KaramelRose)
Ooh, where's the instructions for Outlook? As I use Outlook and have been trying to find the instructions but to no avail.

Sorry I can't help on the Windows Live front though...
Here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/i...t/selfservice/

I think that is what the guide is for, let me know if it works as i am tempted just to switch to outlook if i don't get any solutions
KaramelRose
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by James21090)
Here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/i...t/selfservice/

I think that is what the guide is for, let me know if it works as i am tempted just to switch to outlook if i don't get any solutions
Thank you! Will have to try it out when I get home from work - will let you know how it goes!
Sparkling_Jules
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think that is for staff email. I don't think students can get their email any way other than through webmail but I could be wrong.

Edit: And I am http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/i.../faqs-smail/10
TMDaines
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Sparkling_Jules)
I think that is for staff email. I don't think students can get their email any way other than through webmail but I could be wrong.

Edit: And I am http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/i.../faqs-smail/10
I've got mine set up on my iPod Touch already! :p:
Vikaman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TMDaines)
I've got mine set up on my iPod Touch already!
Didn't work for me, when I click on "Check Name" it stalls and then says cannot connect.

I'll try the other method.
kingggg
Report 9 years ago
anyone knows how to do this on mac?
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You need to set up your mail client to connect to a new account using IMAP. The documentation for this fits your particular client, and you should probably use its help.

Then use the information on here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/i...smail/pop_imap to fill in the fields. (Use IMAPS if possible, rather than POPS, which sucks). As it points out, you'll have to use a different SMTP server depending on where you live.
KaramelRose
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I managed to hook up my .ac.uk email to my Outlook last night, but only to receive email, I can't send them from my warwick email. I used POP3 though, so if I try and configure it to IMAP will that work better?
James21090
(Original post by estel)
You need to set up your mail client to connect to a new account using IMAP. The documentation for this fits your particular client, and you should probably use its help.

Then use the information on here: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/i...smail/pop_imap to fill in the fields. (Use IMAPS if possible, rather than POPS, which sucks). As it points out, you'll have to use a different SMTP server depending on where you live.
Thanks. Where will I be able to find my SMTP?
estel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I managed to hook up my .ac.uk email to my Outlook last night, but only to receive email, I can't send them from my warwick email. I used POP3 though, so if I try and configure it to IMAP will that work better?
There are lots of good reasons to use IMAP rather than POP3 (really, you shouldn't be using POP if you have any choice at all), but it won't fix your ability to send email.

In order to send email, you need to add YOUR OWN ISP's SMTP server details to the connection. If you have another account set up on your client, just use whichever SMTP server that uses.
KaramelRose
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by estel)
There are lots of good reasons to use IMAP rather than POP3 (really, you shouldn't be using POP if you have any choice at all), but it won't fix your ability to send email.

In order to send email, you need to add YOUR OWN ISP's SMTP server details to the connection. If you have another account set up on your client, just use whichever SMTP server that uses.
Thank you! That's really helpful = )
Hopefully I can get it 100% up and running tonight then. I'm right in thinking that when I get to Warwick campus, I'll have to change the Outgoing Server anyway won't I?
estel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thank you! That's really helpful = )
Hopefully I can get it 100% up and running tonight then. I'm right in thinking that when I get to Warwick campus, I'll have to change the Outgoing Server anyway won't I?
Yes you will
Vikaman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by estel)
Yes you will
Oh, that's why the IMAP isn't sending anything from here in Singapore...

I was thinking I must be doing something dastardly stupid.
estel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vikaman)
Oh, that's why the IMAP isn't sending anything from here in Singapore...

I was thinking I must be doing something dastardly stupid.
IMAP has nothing whatsoever to with sending emails. IMAP is concerned only with receiving them and downloading them from a web server.
Vikaman
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by estel)
IMAP has nothing whatsoever to with sending emails. IMAP is concerned only with receiving them and downloading them from a web server.
Then something is wrong with what I am doing them, because it receives emails well, but doesn't send
estel
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Vikaman)
Then something is wrong with what I am doing them, because it receives emails well, but doesn't send
Look at your ISP's website. They likely run a SMTP server that you can use.
Failing that, look here: http://www.e-eeasy.com/SMTPServerList.aspx
sk88
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As soon as I set up my ITS account, I set my squirrel mail to forward to my hotmail, because i check my hotmail everyday..I think this is what the OP was referring to?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise