Help to quit smoking Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So baiscally i've been smoking for about 2 years now. At first it was just a mixture curiosity and boredom. I thought i wouldnt get hooked, i was naive in believing that.

I started to smoke on a regular basis as i found it helped supress my appetite as i was insecure about my weight (not that i was fat) i was afraid that i would become fat, not that im being shallow i've just always had a fear of loosing control of myself and over eating. Ive ended up loosing far too much weight while smoking, that i find it hard to put on weight now, so that i look healthy, and so i need to stop smoking.

Now im finding it extemly difficult to quit, as most of my family smoke, and so theres not a short supply of cigarettes around.

Ive tried in the past to quit on many occasions, and each time i let myself down by giving in. Ive promised my mum that i wont buy any cigarettes and while im trying to keep that promise, the smoker in me finds loopholes and so i bribe my sister and brother to give me some when i get really anxious. And i've resorted to having to hide away and smoke.

What im asking is has anyone else managed to kick the habbit and quit? If so, how? (besides from the obvious of not having a cigarette, i mean did you use patches, etc.)

I don't smoke as much now, ive managed to cut down, and so i have a max of 3 cigarettes a day, (morning, afternoon, and before bed)

Id be willing to try patches, gum, or what ever you can buy off the counter, i just don't know what to get which will help.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't find patches or anything useful. It just made me think about smoking, but maybe it will help you. Its very hard to quit if you really don't want to. You really do have to quit, and for yourself, not for anyone else.
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Visit you GP they will be able to give you advice and resources to help you, im not sure but they may be able to offer you free nicotine patches (but will need some back up on that).
a_t
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Erm, I quit for about 9 months, then relapsed >_< exams and all that
dita_parlo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I smoked for over ten years and have been quit for 10 months now. I smoked 20 a day. You will relapse (it takes a smoker something like 6 or 7 serious attempts to actually stop) but keep perservering at it. I used the patches and couldn't have done it without. For the first month I stayed away from pubs and clubs cos I felt it would be too much for me. Then I used gum as well as the patches during really stressful times.

It is hard, and even now I sometimes get cravings for them. I have tried to emerse myself in a healthy lifestyle (diet/exercise/moderate drinking) and that has helped my willpower too.

You have only been smoking for 2 years, if you don't stop now think how much harder it will be for you after 5/10/20 years of smoking. You can do it, it will be hard I won't lie, but it will be worth it.
friendly_fiend2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've quit for a year now. I personally wouldn't reccomend using nicotine patches as that just prolongs the suffering. IMO you need to go cold turkey to break the physical addiction. Once you've gone a week you have to say to yourself ''I've gone this far and don't want to repeat it''. Don't drink any alcohol while trying to quit either as that will make you crave.
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
For the mental addiction, try some herbal ciggarettes (no nicotine), experiment with a few different brands, some taste allright and you can get a hit of sorts if you remove the filter.
TheGimpMan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sew your lips up LOL
VeryRandomGirl
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I didn't find any of that helpful, I just went cold turkey for about six months and for the past year I've only really smoked whilst out if I was offered them, but I wasn't a massive smoker in the first place
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I really don't know what to do. Wish i did have the ability to go cold turkey, but i keep making excuses why i shouldnt quit right now. And i know that its now or never, i don't think im that far gone and addicted as such, but i mainly smoke when im bored, after a meal and when i get really angry. It sort of calms me down.

Basically atm i have to do everything as my mums been abroad for about a year, and so i have to make everybody food/clean up/ do the dishes/laundry/and i have to look after my younger sister, and make sure all the bills,etc are paid ontime, along with uni which is starting soon. And so sometimes i do get very p*ssed of at the fact that im left to do everything for my family, when i have an older sister who doesnt lift a finger, and thats where the smoking comes in, it acts as a reward, and stop me having a good old rant at my family.

I guess ill go pick up some patches tommorow, and see if that helps. Doubt ill be able to go cold turkey, but ive cut down to 3 cigarettes a day, and ill try and see if i can go with just one a day or hopefully none.

Can anyone reccoment which patches i should get?
friendly_fiend2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I tried cutting down but it never works because you're never in the frame of mind of quitting. It'll get to the weekend and you'll have a drink and end up smoking a pack / pouch as you aren't a non - smoker.

Seriously go cold turkey, you have to quit somepoint, better sooner then later.

Good luck.
Jesska xD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go cold turkey.

I have re-lapsed but i gave up for just over a month until i was offered them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (82)
39.23%
No - but I will (9)
4.31%
No - I don't want to (13)
6.22%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
50.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise