Maximising my chances Watch

Smileawaythethunder
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, bit of a long post coming up, I hope you can bear with me!

As a result of poor health last year I ended up dropping out of sixth form - the plan was to work for a year, study with the Open University and then return to sixth form this autumn. Unfortunately as tends to happen the best laid plans fall through and I'm still working and studying with the Open University.

I'm still very keen on the idea of 'real' university and have spoken to some admissions tutors about English Literature (which I know, is very competitive at the best of times!) Whilst some of them effectively rejected me out of hand, others, including some fairly prestigious universities, were very encouraging about applying as I stand now. I currently have 60 Open University credits and am studying towards 60 more. Oxford, York, UEA and Manchester were all very encouraging and suggested that I was capable of making a competitive application, but I am quite conscious that I may be setting my sights a little high! What would your opinions be on how worthwhile it is to apply to these places?

My other concern is that without the support of a school/college I'm going to be at a disadvantage - particularly regarding my personal statement. I'd really appreciate some other views on how worthwhile it is for me to apply, specifically to the better universities, and about how to maximise my chances of getting to interview - I know from job interviews that they're a strong suit.
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Smileawaythethunder)
Hi, bit of a long post coming up, I hope you can bear with me!

As a result of poor health last year I ended up dropping out of sixth form - the plan was to work for a year, study with the Open University and then return to sixth form this autumn. Unfortunately as tends to happen the best laid plans fall through and I'm still working and studying with the Open University.

I'm still very keen on the idea of 'real' university and have spoken to some admissions tutors about English Literature (which I know, is very competitive at the best of times!) Whilst some of them effectively rejected me out of hand, others, including some fairly prestigious universities, were very encouraging about applying as I stand now. I currently have 60 Open University credits and am studying towards 60 more. Oxford, York, UEA and Manchester were all very encouraging and suggested that I was capable of making a competitive application, but I am quite conscious that I may be setting my sights a little high! What would your opinions be on how worthwhile it is to apply to these places?

My other concern is that without the support of a school/college I'm going to be at a disadvantage - particularly regarding my personal statement. I'd really appreciate some other views on how worthwhile it is for me to apply, specifically to the better universities, and about how to maximise my chances of getting to interview - I know from job interviews that they're a strong suit.
No, if you've done well on the OU courses you are not necessarily setting your sights too high, and you should not count yourself out at all.

There are plenty of resources on this site to help you. Check out the uni and course specific forums for advice on choices and how to strengthen your application. The PS Help forum can provide reviews for your PS. The OU should be able to provide an academic reference for you. You'd apply as an individual which means adding in the reference provided by your referee yourself but that's not a problem. There are systems in place to make sure you aren't making it all up

The other forum you might want to look at is the 'mature' students sub-forum in General University Discussion - one is counted as a mature student at 21, after all.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.89%
No - but I will (6)
3.73%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (84)
52.17%

Watched Threads