Critical Thinking Watch

kateexxbaybee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My college offers Critical Thinking to anyone who had 10 A*s or A's ... I have been offered it but i'd just lyk to know if anyone has done / doing it ... and whether there is an advantage to having it or would i just be putting extra pressure on myself unnessercarily ??

(oh btw my college only offers it for AS ) x
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i did it and hated it

would not advise it at all

but it's up to you

I got a C at AS for it btw ://
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
critical thinking is pointless - it apparently helps with the BMAT/LNAT but tbh i don't think its much of an advantage - i got an A in the AS but still royally messed up the BMAT. Meh.

i was forced to do it at sixth form too, but if it was optional i wouldn't have done it and might have instead picked a proper 5th AS.
fahadalhasan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would advise against it, Critical Thinking is not really regarded as an A-Level or AS at most universities and what grade you get won't count towards the requirements for university in most cases.

Same with General Studies.
rhianna610
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i did it because we had to in year 12. it was a pointless waste of my time and i stopped going. I got a c with no revision and four other good grades for A-level, meaning my uni didn't even look at it and most think it's a waste of time as far as i'm aware so NO DON'T DO IT!!!!

ahhhh i hate that subject! :eek3:
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why for only people with As?

All Universities I looked at accepted it as a full A level. It is regarded as being a better A level than General Studies. But if you're going for the top then don't bother if you think it might take time away from your other studies.

It's extremely useful, I found I applied it to all my other subjects, from Art through to Psychology, and would definately reccomend doing it. Learning the proper rules of analysing argument, what is relevent or not as evidence, and how to construct arguments of your own is a great skill to have.
Medicine Man
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Might i just add that in theory critical thinking should work as it should teach you to analyse arguments and all that palaver, but the exam itself doesn't do that - what it does is it gets you to think the way the exam board markscheme wants you to think just so you can pass.

So yeah, good idea in theory, poorly executed in practice IMO.
Fuzzpig
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Medicine Man)
Might i just add that in theory critical thinking should work as it should teach you to analyse arguments and all that palaver, but the exam itself doesn't do that - what it does is it gets you to think the way the exam board markscheme wants you to think just so you can pass.

So yeah, good idea in theory, poorly executed in practice IMO.
I would agree with that:yep: The A2 paper especially.

There are also a lot of terms to learn, though I found As very easy, (strong A), taking it through to A level seemed really hard. (I got a U in one of the papers leaving me with a C over all lmao)

So I'd say as you can only take it at As, and As was very easy (to me), take it, though you may find it more useful to bring out skill-wise in your other subjects than as a grade.
Spectra
Report 9 years ago
I did critical thinking. It really required very little effort, we had 3 lessons a fortnight and did not really do much in them. None of us did any work for the exams and most came out with As. It wasn't very interesting but it is afterall an AS and since you said you're taking it as a 5th it'll just be something nice to have =)
Btw gratz on your GCSEs xx
Oh yea but the book is expensive to buy, had to pay 15 pounds =O
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise