worriedmum Watch

lauren maynard
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
need to find a good uni for bright but not very academic upper sixth boy - thinks he might want to do either geog or criminology (!) will do a gap year but i think the best he could do in a levels is 3 Bs (and that would be a miracle) where should he look? parents are foreigners but he grew up in england - can he apply as a foreign student? (he has dual nationality) woud that help his chances?
hannahhi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hello

There are some useful sub-forums here on TSR which you could have a look at to give you some ideas

-Geography and Earth Sciences
-Criminology

And of course the wiki section

eg. Choosing a Subject

3 Bs is a very good result at A Level and he'd have plenty of options I'm sure. I'm not sure about the foreign student part, and not really sure where to guide you but I'm sure someone else could help.

Good luck
lauren maynard
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
thanks hannahh i'll try those sites. everyone seems so helpful and friendly on the tsr - not like football chat forums i can tell ya!
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't think I can add much more to the advice that hannahhi's already given, but welcome to TSR! :hello:

:tsr:
luonnotar
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Applying as an International student may have adverse financial effects to be honest. The Uni I'm studying at are charging me £3,225, which is standard and covered by the student loan. International students are being charged upwards of £9,300, and if he applies as an international student then I don't think he'd be entitled to a student loan.

As hannahhi said though, 3 Bs at A Level is really good, it's better than I achieved and I didn't have a problem when applying. Criminology degrees usually ask for between 220 and 300 points, depending on the institution. Geography looks to be between 240 - 320 points, but having a look at the UCAS website may help him decide as well, as it'll give him an idea of what universities offer those courses, and what they're asking for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads