help =[ hp pavilion 6500 dead! Watch

luciet2009
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
last night i was happily surfing the net,, then next minute, it just powered off and died. i left it until the morning thinking it had just overheated and would turn on when it had cooled down (this has happened before) but tried it this morning and nothing. when i press the power button, theres a little lightning bolt icon bottom left of my laptop and it just flickers four times and thats it. this is the same whether i have the ac charger plugged in or not, and when plugged in the ac charger used to have a blue ring around where it was plugged in and charge the laptop when it was off, but no blue ring either.

arghhh, can anyone help??
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
sounds ******

i suggest you invest in a laptop cooler next time

I play quite a few games on my laptop (same on was you or maybe mines a 6600) which would, without a cooler, take the laptop to 60-70 degrees but with the cooler, the laptop remains at 40 or there abouts when it's working hard
luciet2009
Rep:
?
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
sounds ******

i suggest you invest in a laptop cooler next time

I play quite a few games on my laptop (same on was you or maybe mines a 6600) which would, without a cooler, take the laptop to 60-70 degrees but with the cooler, the laptop remains at 40 or there abouts when it's working hard
well thanks for the confidence. i have a little fan that i use, and when it turned itself off it was cool. and its not even my laptop anymore, which makes the need to fix it greater. it might be the battery or ac charger (ive already had to replace the ac charger once) but dont wanna fork out for them if its not going to solve the problem.
nadnerb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Sounds like the power supply is broken.
Wiggle the plug about and see if that helps.

I've had 2 of my HP power supplies break, the first had a dodgy connector and had to be plugged in a certain way for it to work and the second one the actual power supply just broke.
nadnerb
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
BTW, the flashing blue light just means there's not enough battery to turn on.
So the fact it does this suggests the laptop is ok and the power supply is at fault.
luciet2009
Rep:
?
(Original post by nadnerb)
BTW, the flashing blue light just means there's not enough battery to turn on.
So the fact it does this suggests the laptop is ok and the power supply is at fault.
Thanks, ill order yet another ac adapter see if that does the trick, got alot of important documents on there, so im glad it seems its just a power fault.
there's too much love
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by luciet2009)
Thanks, ill order yet another ac adapter see if that does the trick, got alot of important documents on there, so im glad it seems its just a power fault.

I'm a hypocrite when saying this but, back them up.
luciet2009
Rep:
?
(Original post by there's too much love)
I'm a hypocrite when saying this but, back them up.
good point. my own fault i suppose.
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A good investment may be a surge protector, as it's recommended that you have computer equipment plugged into one. It could be that a power surge has damaged tha ac adapter, I unplug phones/PCs etc if we have a power cut. Just a tip, I'm not sure how much one is, though.
luciet2009
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kevmeister)
A good investment may be a surge protector, as it's recommended that you have computer equipment plugged into one. It could be that a power surge has damaged tha ac adapter, I unplug phones/PCs etc if we have a power cut. Just a tip, I'm not sure how much one is, though.
ok ill have a look, aren't some extension cables surge protected?
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by luciet2009)
ok ill have a look, aren't some extension cables surge protected?
Yes, I have my laptop plugged into one right now. They cost a little bit more than your average extension cable.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
also, with surge protection extension leads, the cheap ones dont have any warranty.
but, for example, you look at some of the belkin ones, they have like £500 000 warranty on connected devices

here's a cheap belkin:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/45265
STRESSED SARAH
Report 9 years ago
ive got a dv 6000 and well with mine its the battery needing to be replaced that creates the same prob for me.....getting a new batt hp batteries arent brilliant arghhhhhh
re-animator
Report 9 years ago
One fix which does work occasionly for this kinda of problem is holding down the power button when the battery and ac lead are unplugged, it clears out all the capacitors or sumin. Just hold it for a few seconds, then plug everything back in. It's worth a go
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by re-animator)
One fix which does work occasionly for this kinda of problem is holding down the power button when the battery and ac lead are unplugged, it clears out all the capacitors or sumin. Just hold it for a few seconds, then plug everything back in. It's worth a go
correct.
dell told me to do it for 20 seconds, just to make sure:p:
re-animator
Report 9 years ago
sadly everytime i have done it f**k all happens oh well
luciet2009
Rep:
?
panic over, it was the ac cable that needed replacing AGAIN. thanks for your help everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads