The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Chrrye
I think youll find youre beyond help if you chop of someone's hand and partially cut their neck.

Tourniquet for the arm may delay bleed out but there's no fixing the neck :eek:

you make a valid point .... either way, i wouldnt want to be the student mopping the blood :smile:
Reply 121
spex
Pure ignorance passed off as knowledge. Actually the self defense laws in this country protect you very well in situations like these. Katanas are illegal anyway here though so you would run into trouble for that, but killing a burglar shouldn't even land you in court.

Ask yourself just what the **** would be running through your mind when you're woken up in the dead of night and confronted by a hulking man with malice in his eyes and a balaclava over his face coming at you. If you had the coherence of thought enough to say, hmm "force but not too much force" then you're a better man than most. A death is tragic and all, but i draw the line at feeling sorry for somebody who breaks into my home at night with unknown but malevolent motivations. Describing it as murder is just stupid and it's quite naive to assume that none of the students lives were endangered. He could have been carrying anything. I'd rather not take the chance wrestling with someone who might have all kinds of **** up his sleeves when i've got a katana in my hand.

Like they protected the farmer that shot and killed a burglar? Good one.
Reply 122
Lol, I totally misread that as "student kills burglar with Katakana"

I never thought written Japanese shapes could be so powerful :p:
Reply 123
Good for him.

The burgler made a decision to break into this guys house well aware what the consequences might be. Most homes in America own a weapon and he accepted the risk. The student was well within his rights to defend his property.

Stories like this are the reason im getting a US citizenship when i finish uni and moving to Florida, which has the best self defence laws in the world. If this had happened in the UK that student would have been ******.
Reply 124
Luca118

You mean the one that shot the child who was running away in the back from 20 feet away? Self defense laws only apply to self defense. Imminent danger, tony martin, was not in.
Reply 125
spex
You mean the one that shot the child who was running away in the back from 20 feet away? Self defense laws only apply to self defense. Imminent danger, tony martin, was not in.

He was protecting his property from a group of pikey's/gypsies/travellers? (im not sure what the pc term is nowadays, nor do i care) who had been harrasing him for months with death threats and bricks through windows etc... The fact we in Britain now criminalise the victims in these cases disgusts me. It was his property he should be allowed to defend it. It is up to the criminal to decide wether to risk the consequences of a crime, it shouldn't have to be the victim who decides for him.
Reply 126
this is natural selection, your stupid enough to lunge at someone with a samurai sword then evolution doesnt want you around anymore.
Reply 127
spex

The teenager, that tried to burgle him? "Child" he was 16 from what I have read, don't use his age to protect him, he tried to steal, he protected his property.

He shouldn't have to tried to steal from the guy, and paid the consequences, I don't see how anyone could feel any remorse, not enough people accept the consequences of their actions, fortunately this lad didn't have a choice..
Reply 128
Aeolus
He was protecting his property from a group of pikey's/gypsies/travellers? (im not sure what the pc term is nowadays, nor do i care) who had been harrasing him for months with death threats and bricks through windows etc... The fact we in Britain now criminalise the victims in these cases disgusts me. It was his property he should be allowed to defend it. It is up to the criminal to decide wether to risk the consequences of a crime, it shouldn't have to be the victim who decides for him.

Agreed to be honest, if you can make the decision to attempt to steal someone's property then you should be mature enough to accept the consequences, death or otherwise.
Reply 129
Aeolus

I'm fully in favour of people being allowed to defend their home by any means (and believe it or not so is the law), but i shouldn't need to say that shooting someone in the back while they're running away has crossed that line by a long way. The threat was gone, the aggressor retreated, so what difference really is there between gunning someone down in revenge and hunting them down later on and shooting them then?
this is natural selection, your stupid enough to lunge at someone with a samurai sword then evolution doesnt want you around anymore.

Truth.
Reply 131
spex
I'm fully in favour of people being allowed to defend their home by any means (and believe it or not so is the law), but i shouldn't need to say that shooting someone in the back while they're running away has crossed that line by a long way. The threat was gone, the aggressor retreated, so what difference really is there between gunning someone down in revenge and hunting them down later on and shooting them then?

Well it was on his property, so it's not really like gunning him down elsewhere in revenge, that would require intent to murder rather than defend, which he was still technically doing no matter if the lad looked like he was retreating or not. Plus, i wouldnt say it was revenge. I mean, he has testified to the campaign he was subject to by those guys. How can you or i understand what kind of mental state he was in. I personally doubt he aimed that gun with a clear mind and intent to murder a minor. It's not like he could see clearly either.

However i do agree that he crossed the line. But i don't agree he should have been charged, seeing as the intruder was still on his property.
Decapitation's never very nice.
Absolute legend. Quentin tarantino eat your heart out.
Reply 134
EnthusiasticEnthusiast
Damn, who the hell defends themselves with samurai swords these days :s-smilie:

My uncle has a Beretta 92f by his bed, and he lives in the UK..I hated studying law and seeing burglars get let off whilst the people who were beingburgled, tormented and prosecuted had to put the pieces back together.
Break into my house, get the wrath of me. Simple.

Also - LOL @ the smoking ban + burglary. If you smoke and a burglar comes into your house while you are having a fag, the burglar can prosecute you.
Luca118

i was wondering how long it would be before someone brought that little thing up

you might want to go back and re-read that case - if im recalling the correct one the farmer in question shot a burglar who was in the process of getting the hell out of dodge. The farmer shot him in the back as he attempted to escape.

spex

if i remember correctly tony martin's case is unique in that in the strictest sense he did not kill either of them - barras the one who died did so because no one reported the injury niether martin or the accomplice.

Incidently in Ireland 2004 a man Padraig Nally committed a similar crime but the murder charge became manslaughter and that was quashed in 2006 at a retrial
RemadE
Also - LOL @ the smoking ban + burglary. If you smoke and a burglar comes into your house while you are having a fag, the burglar can prosecute you.

you have got to be kidding me!!!!!
http://www.wbaltv.com/video/20942059/index.html

Lol, this was all over the local news. Gotta love Baltimore.
Reply 138
Maybe it's just how I was raised, but I honestly feel that as soon as you step into someones house with the intent to steal something (however big or small) - all 'rights' you may have disappear. The owner has every right to injure / kill you.

Oddly enough I actually have a Katana in my room that was handed down to me!
Reply 139
As i said with the farmer who shot the burglars.

This is what you get if you rob ****.

Burglars should not be robing **** this is what they get.

Latest

Trending

Trending