Higher English Critical essays Watch

stefany-a
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
We have been doing lord of the files I keep getting 10/25 the highest I have got is 13/25 and I have no idea how to improve , my teacher is never in and he doesn’t tells us what the examiner is expecting anyways I am really worried about my low mark on these essays and tomorrow we are moving on to ‘holy willies prayer’.

any advice ?
LuhLah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Note: This is just a dud guide. I might be totally wrong, and that is defo not a real quote from 1984.

Well, your introduction would include basically the question you are going to answer, a really basic plot line and obviously the book title/author.

And then for your essay points, it should be something like this:

Point: "(Always include a joining sentence from the previous paragraph) As well as using the symbolism of the glass paper weight to purvey the theme of rebellion, the author also uses the symbolism of the telescreens to purvey the theme of conformity"

Evidence: "(basically the quote, keep it short and simple) The telescreens watched Wilson and tracked his every movment"

Evaluation & Analysis: "The use of personification where the "telescreens" watched Wilson really show how privacy is really limited in Oceania. Tracking connotes how careful people must be when they have to do things within their own privacy. This promotes the theme of conformity because it purveys how limited people are in their actions, so they must put on a facade..."

So when making your points, remember PEE (Point, Evidence, Evalulation and Analysis.)

Your conclusion should basically just sum up the essay.

*waits to be corrected*
jackwka
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From my brief experience of higher english so far, the key to any good essay is to ANALISE in great depth. When writing an essay there is no wrong answer, providing you have sufficient evidence. Analysis gives you a real chance to show of your level of english.

As for the grades, I wouldn't be that upset. It's only September and you have got 13/25? Your already passing? Just think where you'll be in May.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (404)
37.72%
No - but I will (82)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (75)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (510)
47.62%

Watched Threads