is anybody NOT IN HALLS??? Watch

amy25
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I'm doing an Access course and couldnt get any loans so had no choice but to stay at home and commute in. is anybody else in this situation???

worried about freshers that i'll miss out!!! x
Buckinghamshire
Report 9 years ago
Hiya, I'm in the same boat, I went through clearing and got a place at lcc but by that time, all affordable accommodation had gone which I'm really bummed about. Looking at the cost of train season tickets at this moment in time and I'm hoping I'll be able to sleep on someone's floor for freshers...
Jayde
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm commuting in by choice, much cheaper than halls and it doesn't take too long on the train... I would just get distracted if I lived in halls, might change my mind by next year and try and get a house share with people but that's next year.
DeadLetter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I was offered halls, but since I am doing a masters I have to self fund, and the halls they offered were way outside my price range.

As such I need to commute (as the train fare from home works out far cheaper).

But oh well 2 hours to get in each day is not to bad i guess=/....and when I get a job in london I should be able to afford a flatshare.
Aiko
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DeadLetter)
I was offered halls, but since I am doing a masters I have to self fund, and the halls they offered were way outside my price range.

As such I need to commute (as the train fare from home works out far cheaper).

But oh well 2 hours to get in each day is not to bad i guess=/....and when I get a job in london I should be able to afford a flatshare.
From what I can remember, you're required to attend for three whole days of the week, the other two, including the weekend, are intended to produce work? I also suspect the scheduling will be even less during the second year. In that respect, commuting is not too bad, even though two hours by train is rather long.
DeadLetter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Ah so it is three days? I had heard that from another, but I wasnt exactly sure.

Well that will make things easier, though its still my intention to live there sooner then later.

Just need to find that job
Aiko
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DeadLetter)
Ah so it is three days? I had heard that from another, but I wasnt exactly sure.

Well that will make things easier, though its still my intention to live there sooner then later.

Just need to find that job
The timetable may have changed since then. I coincidentally had a friend on your course when I was at CSM, under the 'Digital Media' pathway, and that was his timetable.

I've also recently heard that Catton Street, the campus your course was at, has recently been sold in preparation for the big move to King's Cross. I'm assuming you've heard about this? You will be at either Southampton Row or Back Hill. To be honest, I only went to the Catton Street campus once and it was just a small old fashioned building, near Southampton Row. It's a good thing that the course has moved from here.

Finding work in London should be viable. I would suggest looking on the University's job section. It's actually one of the best for this line of work:

http://www.arts.ac.uk/student/creati...ortunities.htm

If the timetable is three 'whole' days, the extra two will give you more time to work part-time in order to supplement living out. Good luck. :smile:
DeadLetter
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I recently found out I am at Back Hill. Also yes the idea is to use those 2 days to do part time work =), thanks again for your help Matisse.
mai09
Report 9 years ago
Anybody need a place to stay for uni? im looking for someone to take over my contract with for the Arcade halls, price is £130 a week including all bills and fast internet. 8mins from Holloway tube station great location for all london unis.

if your interested let me know asap!
imonlynapping
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't worry about it too much, the majority of people on my course (also UAL) commute from home- in my class of about 20 only about 3 are in halls. Turning up to yourself is obviously going to be nerve wracking but most people are in the same boat and wanting to make friends. Also UAL freshers events are notoriously crap so even if you didn't go you wouldnt be missing out on much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads