Turn on thread page Beta

Physics / Chemistry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok I am so so so so sorry for asking questions about AS level choices so many time but I am so confused!

I have the smallest inkling that I might want to be a doctor but i have a lot of doubt(and I know I need Chemistry for this) but I have to make a choice between Chemistry and Physics. Now, I really really enjoy Physics and would love to do it for AS (I think I will regret giving it up) and I find it relatively easy, on the other hand I find Chemistry quite boring and slightly more difficult than Physics. Should I go for Chemistry on the basis that I might need it for a possible future career but might not enjoy or for Physics which I know that I will really enjoy and do well in?

ReputationRep:
    Physics is a great subject, as is chemistry. I would do both plus maths, then a competely different subject if i were you - business, economics, or english, that kind of thing.

Keep your options open. I had decided that I wanted to do Computer Science fairly early on in my AS's, then decided I wanted to do Physics the day after my A-level results came out - a decision I've never regretted.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you do them both? Your other three choices can't be set in stone.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely want to do Biology, because I find it really interesting, and Maths and English so basicly it is between the two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    I definitely want to do Biology, because I find it really interesting, and Maths and English so basicly it is between the two.
    English!?! It sounds as if the sciences are your best bet. Never mind - do what you will enjoy. I regret taking geography in place of physics every day (sniff).

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Ok I am so so so so sorry for asking questions about AS level choices so many time but I am so confused!

I have the smallest inkling that I might want to be a doctor but i have a lot of doubt(and I know I need Chemistry for this) but I have to make a choice between Chemistry and Physics. Now, I really really enjoy Physics and would love to do it for AS (I think I will regret giving it up) and I find it relatively easy, on the other hand I find Chemistry quite boring and slightly more difficult than Physics. Should I go for Chemistry on the basis that I might need it for a possible future career but might not enjoy or for Physics which I know that I will really enjoy and do well in?
    University courses are increasingly flexible and relatively few have specific demands about what A levels are studied. However, you should be aware that Medicine, Veterinary Science and Dentistry will require 2 science full A Levels with Chemistry and Biology to AS Level at least; Engineering, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry at the most competitive universities will be easier to get into if Further Mathematics has been studied at AS and if possible A Level; Economics applicants should have at least an A in GCSE Mathematics and studying it to AS Level would be a distinct advantage; finally Psychology (an increasingly popular university course) needs a science at AS Level at least and Mathematics would also be helpful because of the emphasis on statistical analysis in Psychology degree courses.

ReputationRep:
    AS Level Chemistry is essential for a degree course in Medicine and Environmental Science and full A Level Chemistry for Pharmacy and Chemistry degree courses. A good Chemistry degree is accepted as a powerful entry into many professions e.g. law, banking, the city, research chemist, management, politics! It is accepted that the Graduate Chemist is literate, numerate and highly scientific and in itself a Chemistry degree is an excellent training in clear logical imaginative thinking. The graduate Chemist`s skills are highly marketable.
    Physics is much respected at University entrance. It is required for the Physical Sciences and Engineering. It is useful for Medicine, given the extent of technology used in that field. The financial institutions appreciate the clarity of thought and numeracy developed by Physics; lawyers, too, are in need of colleagues with training in science. Physics has much to offer those who want their futures involved with practical ways of helping other people and, equally, those who wish to understand Nature in as fundamental a way as possible.
    It's up to you,good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, I really dont want to do Chemistry, it looks too difficult! But I know that that ruins any chance that I have of being a doctor...aww I dont know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    Sigh, I really dont want to do Chemistry, it looks too difficult! But I know that that ruins any chance that I have of being a doctor...aww I dont know what to do.
    Aww chem aren't so bad, I never enjoyed it that much at gcse but am loving it at as atm, lol sooo much more than bio *dont seem to be clicking to well with all the parrot learning in biology*

ReputationRep:
    i assume these choices are for next year( ie are u in in year 11?)?
    well anyway, i think physics is great if you do maths too, since mechanics will be a piece of cake and physics has a lot of easy maths (eg basic rearranging formulas and trig.) i would say physics is much more interesting (especially if you do cosmology imo). but why not take 5 subjects for 2 or 3 weeks to see what u really like? i guess that;d mean bio,math,english,chem and physics then drop whichever is worst (oh yeah also chem and bio go kinda quite well ie you'll probably do biochemistry in both?) but if you do maths, aah physics will be so easy sometimes..
    [also if you are in yr11 then why not see what you get in gcses (and sorry if you are not in yr11)]

ReputationRep:

Personally i really don't see why you should do chemistry if you prefer physics.....when it comes down to it you should really be thinking about careers that make use of the subjects you enjoy most.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to come back to this, but I still dont know what to do.

I Just got my mock results back and I got 84% in Chemistry and 87 % in Physics which didnt help my choices. I am fairly sure that i will take English Literature now, I got 91 in my mock and I find it really enjoyable and will find it a change from the other subjects. So now I am just torn between Chemistry and Physics, I am also fairly certain that I might turn to Chemistry, but so many people have said that if I dont enjoy it that much I will have a really tough time getting good grades. Can anyone tell me how difficult AS Chemistry is, particulary if I dont enjoy it THAT much (at least as much as Physics)??

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to come back to this, but I still dont know what to do.

I Just got my mock results back and I got 84% in Chemistry and 87 % in Physics which didnt help my choices. I am fairly sure that i will take English Literature now, I got 91 in my mock and I find it really enjoyable and will find it a change from the other subjects. So now I am just torn between Chemistry and Physics, I am also fairly certain that I might turn to Chemistry, but so many people have said that if I dont enjoy it that much I will have a really tough time getting good grades. Can anyone tell me how difficult AS Chemistry is, particulary if I dont enjoy it THAT much (at least as much as Physics)??
    Hey there,

I was reading ur thread when it hit me that i had exactly the same dilemma when i was in ur position... Physics or Chem?! Except a) i enjoyed chem just as much as physics and it was probably my better science of the two and b) i didnt have a great ambition to be a doctor.
    Anyway, i chose chem and tho i was A* standard at GCSE and enjoyed it, i cant help thinking it was the worst mistake i ever made cos a) i dont particularly enjoy and b) i am struggling at it so much its laughable. I honestly wish i took physics insted esp as the maths in that always made more sense to me... and needless to say, its affected my grades significantly. (Actually my best subjects at GCSE have turned into my worst at AS/A Level) um... in ur case, i would go for physics cos if you enjoy it then u'll never find it tedious even when things get tricky and there's the maths side too which'll help. However, if u really wanna be a dr, then u'll have to take chem... Why not take both if u want?
    Hope that helps..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Keep your options open. I had decided that I wanted to do Computer Science fairly early on in my AS's, then decided I wanted to do Physics the day after my A-level results came out - a decision I've never regretted.
    Lol, nice.

ReputationRep:

if u want to be a doctor, chemistry is crucial...so if u give it up u wont be able to become one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Physics is a great subject, as is chemistry. I would do both plus maths, then a competely different subject if i were you - business, economics, or english, that kind of thing.

bingo

that is EXACTLY what I did

physics cos i enjoyed it, chemistry because i needed it, maths because I had to have it, and economics as a contrasting subject

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.