Posting mail to my hall Watch

CS_Prodigy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hey guys, i've got a question about buying stuff on the internet; if we send the package to our own hall, where will it be sent to? (the pigeon hole??) and is the address the hall address?
jhs08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If it's a letter it'll go in your pigeon hole. If it's a parcel/package, you can collect it from the hall office. Address is your hall address with your name obviously. You get all this info when you arrive, dont worry.
CS_Prodigy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by jhs08)
If it's a letter it'll go in your pigeon hole. If it's a parcel/package, you can collect it from the hall office. Address is your hall address with your name obviously. You get all this info when you arrive, dont worry.
thanks mate
Christian_j
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If you're doing Computer Science, I guess you'll be in Newark or Southwell?

Even if you're not, this info can be for anyone that is:

As said, post will appear in your pigeon hole in the JCR - if a parcel arrives you'll receive a little slip in your pigeon hole that tells you that you have a package waiting for you. You can only collect your parcel from the post room in Southwell (even if you're in Newark) in the room to the left of the entrance at exactly 6:30pm.

Make sure you take photo ID or student card or they won't let you pick it up.

Be aware that as good as the porters are, package slips can arrive in your pigeon hole days after your package arrives so if it's something important then just keep on top of it. Bear in mind that slips and post do/does get taken out of pigeon holes by naughty students, so if there's anything really important coming by post that isn't 100% necessary for your uni life, get it sent to your home address.

Also, note that even if you spot your parcel being delivered and run down to get it, you still won't be allowed to pick it up if it reaches the office before you get there, they'll tell you it has to be processed. So if possible, intercept it before the delivery guy has the chance to reach the hall office.
Dijobla
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Christian_j)
If you're doing Computer Science, I guess you'll be in Newark or Southwell?

Even if you're not, this info can be for anyone that is:

As said, post will appear in your pigeon hole in the JCR - if a parcel arrives you'll receive a little slip in your pigeon hole that tells you that you have a package waiting for you. You can only collect your parcel from the post room in Southwell (even if you're in Newark) in the room to the left of the entrance at exactly 6:30pm.

Make sure you take photo ID or student card or they won't let you pick it up.

Be aware that as good as the porters are, package slips can arrive in your pigeon hole days after your package arrives so if it's something important then just keep on top of it. Bear in mind that slips and post do/does get taken out of pigeon holes by naughty students, so if there's anything really important coming by post that isn't 100% necessary for your uni life, get it sent to your home address.

Also, note that even if you spot your parcel being delivered and run down to get it, you still won't be allowed to pick it up if it reaches the office before you get there, they'll tell you it has to be processed. So if possible, intercept it before the delivery guy has the chance to reach the hall office.
I'm guessing that all the pidgeon holes are open and shared, ie, no locks. Have you really known other students to take or steal post/slips?
Christian_j
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dijobla)
I'm guessing that all the pidgeon holes are open and shared, ie, no locks. Have you really known other students to take or steal post/slips?
The pigeon holes are in the JCR and are all open - I have known important post and cards not to arrive and I've heard people saying their post had been nicked - I was suspicious about that setup and never had anything sent to my hall anyway so it never happened to me that I know of but it's just a thing to be wary of.

Unfortunately you should never underestimate what drunk students are capable of - the JCR is locked at night for this reason but most students drink during the day as well so it still happens - these are people who will have hall fire alarm wars where they sneak into each others halls and set the fire alarm off multiple times in one night - I remember last year the Newark fire alarm went off 4 or 5 times between 2am and 5am in one of the exam weeks, boy did everyone Newark and Southwell get a telling off in the Atrium that night! :yep:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Nottingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Fri, 13 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (515)
37.56%
No - but I will (107)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (656)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise