If someone Dropped out after 3 years of medicine Watch

_khan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Is there an option to be awarded a BSc in Medicine if you decide to drop out after 3 years? Does this vary for different universities or does the same rule apply to all? If after 3 years you dont get a BSc do you get another degree type?
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I vaguely remember that some places give you a BMedSci or equivalent :unsure:
Annaconda
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I believe that for the traditional courses you do get a degree like that, not sure how it works for the integrated ones though
Tyraell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I believe at my university you can do a academic conversion course at the end of three years and go 'to the cutting edge of a field of your choice', or whatever. Don't know how good it is. We also get a BA after three years too, though.
terpineol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We get a Bsc(hons) after three years whatever. You can then do a runner with it if you wish.
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by terpineol)
We get a Bsc(hons) after three years whatever. You can then do a runner with it if you wish.
You really do make it sound like a smash and grab job when you describe it like that.
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by _khan)
Is there an option to be awarded a BSc in Medicine if you decide to drop out after 3 years? Does this vary for different universities or does the same rule apply to all? If after 3 years you dont get a BSc do you get another degree type?
At my university you would get awarded a BMedsci if you exit the course after Year 4. I don't think you would get anything if left after Year 3.

At most unis you would get a Bsc or BMedsci either after the 3rd or 4th years.
Chiko 1001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends where you go. The unis that still use preclin and clinical years would do this anyway.
alexis 123
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Warrior King)
You really do make it sound like a smash and grab job when you describe it like that.
This made me chuckle :rofl:
zer0nis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
if you drop out of medicine you become an internationally recognised RnB star. fact.
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zer0nis)
if you drop out of medicine you become an internationally recognised RnB star. fact.
I suppose being known in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and amongst Asian communities in Britain, Canada and the USA counts as international enough for Jay-Sean but sadly not enough for me to warrant dropping out of medical school for.

Although I was a bit peeved I missed the deadline for applying to become an extra in the new Harry Potter film. A Hollywood career almost beckoned :p:
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexis 123)
This made me chuckle :rofl:
I could imagine someone turning up in a balaclava to the graduation ceremony and snatching the degree from the Dean's hand and jumping out through the window into a Nissan Micra and speeding off into the distance.
_khan
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thank you appreciate the responses
EmersonDrain
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I heard that some places boot you out with a BSc Medical Sciences if you fail your third year med school exams and can't progress. I suppose it's reassuring that you don't leave with nothing.
916-CALL-TURK
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I suppose being known in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and amongst Asian communities in Britain, Canada and the USA counts as international enough for Jay-Sean but sadly not enough for me to warrant dropping out of medical school for.

Although I was a bit peeved I missed the deadline for applying to become an extra in the new Harry Potter film. A Hollywood career almost beckoned :p:
:lol:, just remembered this comment.

Feel like you're eating your words, yet? :smug:

EDIT: That was my old account, btw
metallica nutter
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by zer0nis)
really? :sogood:
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by 916-CALL-TURK)
:lol:, just remembered this comment.

Feel like you're eating your words, yet? :smug:

EDIT: That was my old account, btw
ERM why would I be eating my words?
graemematt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That description only applies to orthopaedics
metallica nutter
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by _khan)
No.

However what i think you can do is since you've passed 2 years of medicine you can do the final year of another science degree and be awarded a BSc

This would be the same as intercalating as some medics do
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
At Cambridge you get the normal Cambridge BA degree after three years - same as anyone doing any course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (441)
37.89%
No - but I will (88)
7.56%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.87%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (555)
47.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise