Perfect laptop for moi??? Watch

Trik5t3r
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello everyone!

So I'm looking to buy a laptop for university. I've been researching quite a lot and I jus simply couldnt decide which one to go for.

I absolutely love this new Samsung R720-AS01UK
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsu...UK/version.asp

But its a little bit too expensive for me as i need to buy like a case, anti virus software, etc..

So I've seen this other model Samsung R720-FS03UK
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsu...UK/version.asp

However this one has less data bus speed and less cache memory. Does this affect a lot like speed and stuff?

If there's another laptop you could recommend for me then that would be wonderful. (My friends told me not to get HP-bad support, Dell-tends to use cheap parts, ACER-jus dont so i'm looking for samsung or asus and don't suggest macbook as i cant afford it)

I will use it for occasional film watching, an also occasional gaming (recent games). Also I do DJing when I have free time so I run lots of programs which means it needs to be quite fast and lots of memory for my music storing.

so 4GB Ram, 2GHZ CPU or more, at least 250HDD and long battery life could be a bonus

Thanks
Cypher_Aod
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i strongly recommend that you don't get a 17" laptop - it'll make it a HUGE pain in the ass to carry around with you to lectures/out'n'about.

and at your budget, there's no reason not to get a HP, Dell or Acer.

getting a dell at your budget is a good idea - you get a much better spec for the money.
ma2k5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Firstly, ignore whatever your friends have said.

Secondly, for the use you have described, the best option is a dell studio 15. I know people will recommend HP here or otherwise, but, you won't get as good as a graphics processor as that on the Dell for a good price.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dells...107ad62e865d16

This dell, has a better graphics processor then both those you have stated (and is cheaper). It has a better processor then your 2nd link. For an extra 70, you can get the 1920/1080 display for extra own.

Their is a 17'inch version, the studio 17 on dell - but they come with a weaker graphics card - and are more expensive - so seems like a waste.

If you can afford £800, I would go for SXPS 16 - but I guess you wanted something around £500'ish.
MarcD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Dell really did suprise me. I've been anti-dell since I got a dell pc back in 2000, but when I was searching around for laptops last year for the start of uni, I thought I'd give them another chance. I'm glad I did. It's been extremely reliable, runs beautifully. I can even run games no problem, EVEN CRYSIS at a decent 70ish fps and 1280 x 1024 on my 24" monitor which I got hooked up to it. As for games like half life 2 and TF2, it copes no problem and runs smoothly. Oh and HD films/videos play smoothly too.

Not to mention the fact it looks sleek and smart, I had mine in a microsatin blue finish.

Here's the specs, not quite as much RAM as you require (and bear in mind this was a year ago), but obviously you can customise to increase this:

Base
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache)
Memory
2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
Video Card
256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650 (Its not a chip, but an independent card, hence the gaming capability)
Hard Drive
250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive

It was £539 including delivery.

Not sure about battery life though, I believe its about 3 hours.
Hal Emmerich
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I did alot of research like you and found the Samsung R522 was the best one to go with. I recommend this laptop, it has many features and costs about £555 from dabs.co.uk

Okay so the Samsung R522 has a intel core 2 duo T6500 2.1GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 320GB hard drive, 512MB ATI graphics card, 1.3 megapixel camera, dvd writer. Oh and it looks nice too

http://www.dabs.com/products/samsung...samsung%20r522
ma2k5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MarcD)
Dell really did suprise me. I've been anti-dell since I got a dell pc back in 2000, but when I was searching around for laptops last year for the start of uni, I thought I'd give them another chance. I'm glad I did. It's been extremely reliable, runs beautifully. I can even run games no problem, EVEN CRYSIS at a decent 70ish fps and 1280 x 1024 on my 24" monitor which I got hooked up to it. As for games like half life 2 and TF2, it copes no problem and runs smoothly. Oh and HD films/videos play smoothly too.

Not to mention the fact it looks sleek and smart, I had mine in a microsatin blue finish.

Here's the specs, not quite as much RAM as you require (and bear in mind this was a year ago), but obviously you can customise to increase this:

Base
Memory
Video Card
256MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650 (Its not a chip, but an independent card, hence the gaming capability)
Hard Drive

I am surprised a 3650 handles Crysis that well :eek:
MarcD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ma2k5)
I am surprised a 3650 handles Crysis that well :eek:
Believe me so was I! I was expecting the usual games like TF2 to run on regular settings, because they're not too spec-hungry, but when crysis ran as well as it did I considered myself very lucky!
alexsheppard11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
+! for the dell studio
Trik5t3r
Ok so lots of people likes dell so i've done few research and read few reviews and dey seem to have mixed reactions on dell studio 15.

Lot of people said its good and worth money but others are saying dey are having 'blue screen', overheats easily n stuff.

Is dell really reliable? and how good is the customer service?
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Trik5t3r)
Ok so lots of people likes dell so i've done few research and read few reviews and dey seem to have mixed reactions on dell studio 15.

Lot of people said its good and worth money but others are saying dey are having 'blue screen', overheats easily n stuff.

Is dell really reliable? and how good is the customer service?
http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptop...-6in-Laptop/p1

9/10
Trik5t3r
Is dis Dell Studio 1555?
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home...s=ukdhs1&s=dhs
Trik5t3r
Is dis dell studio 1555?
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home...s=ukdhs1&s=dhs
Trik5t3r
Ok so i did the personalize thing n it came out as £868.01;
Dell Studio 15
PROCESSOR - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P7350 (2.0 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 Cache)
HARDWARE SUPPORT - 4Yr In-Home Warranty Support
LCD - 15.6in Widescreen Full High Definition (1920x1080) WLED with TrueLife
MEMORY - 4096MB 800MHz DDR2
GRAPHICS CARD - 512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570

However for the samsung one i posted earlier it's got
Samsung R720-AS01UK
PROCESSOR - Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology P7350 (2.00GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 Cache)
WARRANTY FAST GUARD - 3 Years Collect & Return
LCD - 17.3in WSXGA LED (1600 x 900) Gloss
GRAPHICS CARD - ATI Radeon HD 4330 512MB
WEIGHT - 2.88kg (Lightest 17in laptop)
n its £856.75

so dey both cost d same are quite similar bt obviously different company. Which one would you suggest?
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Trik5t3r)
Ok so i did the personalize thing n it came out as £868.01;
Dell Studio 15
PROCESSOR - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P7350 (2.0 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 Cache)
HARDWARE SUPPORT - 4Yr In-Home Warranty Support
LCD - 15.6in Widescreen Full High Definition (1920x1080) WLED with TrueLife
GRAPHICS CARD - 512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570

However for the samsung one i posted earlier it's got
Samsung R720-AS01UK
PROCESSOR - Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology P7350 (2.00GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 Cache)
WARRANTY FAST GUARD - 3 Years Collect & Return
LCD - 17.3in WSXGA LED (1600 x 900) Gloss
GRAPHICS CARD - ATI Radeon HD 4330 512MB
WEIGHT - 2.88kg (Lightest 17in laptop)
n its £856.75

so dey both cost d same are quite similar bt obviously different company. Which one would you suggest?
with the dell studio, did you:
pick the £599 model
up the warranty
up the screen
change to a 9 cell battery?

things to note:
you may find text on that screen very small. however it will provide the most detail
the 9 cell battery sticks out the bottom a bit. this improves ventilation, but may hinder portability in laptop bags/sleeves

as for warranty, i wouldnt personally bother, as i would usually have sold it and bought a new one by then:p:
but then again, in the old days i had a 3 year next day warranty, and it was very useful
Leighthesim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i agree with the warrantee thing- also don't worry about the cost of anti-virus software as there are several good free ones about (Avast and AVG are the ones i know of the top of my head)
I too am looking for a laptop as my poor three year old acer is starting to become a pain will miss it the only thing is i don't want vista, i either want windows 7 or xp so i have to wait a while.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Leighthesim)
i agree with the warrantee thing- also don't worry about the cost of anti-virus software as there are several good free ones about (Avast and AVG are the ones i know of the top of my head)
I too am looking for a laptop as my poor three year old acer is starting to become a pain will miss it the only thing is i don't want vista, i either want windows 7 or xp so i have to wait a while.
well, you're not going to realistically get xp now.
as for 7, most companies will give you a free upgrade to 7 when it is released, if you buy something with vista on (apart from home basic)
Trik5t3r
(Original post by alexsheppard11)
with the dell studio, did you:
pick the £599 model
up the warranty
up the screen
change to a 9 cell battery?

things to note:
you may find text on that screen very small. however it will provide the most detail
the 9 cell battery sticks out the bottom a bit. this improves ventilation, but may hinder portability in laptop bags/sleeves

as for warranty, i wouldnt personally bother, as i would usually have sold it and bought a new one by then:p:
but then again, in the old days i had a 3 year next day warranty, and it was very useful
yeah £599 with 4 years in-home warranty, 1920x1080 HD screen n jus 6 cell battery as i want to but in d sleeves.

any reason why u r choosing dell?

well im thinking of using this for at least 3 years u see. i need the one which is more reliable and good customer service cause i dont want to phone them like million times explaining problems
Leighthesim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by alexsheppard11)
well, you're not going to realistically get xp now.
as for 7, most companies will give you a free upgrade to 7 when it is released, if you buy something with vista on (apart from home basic)
i could always find an install cd and use the key from the back of my current lappy , but i think it will be easier waiting for windows 7 or getting a lappy with free windows 7 upgrade with vista premium on, but i have to wait till i get paid (to see how much of my overtime i am paid) till i can start looking anyways.
Danny_777
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ma2k5)
Secondly, for the use you have described, the best option is a dell studio 15.
This isn't true at all. An Inspiron with same spec but will be a lot cheaper.
Danny_777
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by MarcD)

Base
Memory
Video Card
Hard Drive

I got the same specs but with a Geforce 8600 GT graphics card for £320 new from Euro PC
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.94%
No - but I will (46)
6.78%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.52%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (317)
46.76%

Watched Threads