?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
xxx
Gallium
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yes you have realistic offers. been out of education so long and coming back in with flying grades shows real dedication and unis will look high upon that
dawgnut
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeh

I don't think many mature students apply? But you are probably one of the few who went back to study getting your brain in gear, they would certainly commendate that.
kw2012
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think you have a realistic chance although oxford may reject you on the basis of you're lack of A*'s
Salparadise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
xxx
beatleboar
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah because you are a mature student etc. you have a really good chance especially if you can take A2 maths in a year , I would say you have a real good shot at top unis.
Jinxy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Go for it, you're grades are very good well done for such improvement. Good luck with your application!
Malsy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I bloody hate how GCSEs are always an obstacle for some deserved people.
_MaThs_
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Believe it or not, I didn't get a single A in my gcse's only 2 B's and the rest C's but still managed to get ABBC. I know my grades are not good enough but I still got into Warwick .

My point is, A-levels are much much more important than GCSE's, as long as you have 5 GCSE's A*-C

Your GCSE's are fine, I wish I could get 5 A's
KiiNGofLONDON
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Salparadise)
Thanks for the positivity. I would be very happy to recieve an offer from any of the institutions I've listedso several rejections wouln't crush me. The fact that I worked for a sub-prime mortgage firm between school and college may pique their interest too.
Looks like we're competing for places!

Yeah I think, as someone else suggested, the commitment to academia displayed by you coming back and acing your AS's really puts you in good stead! Good luck!
Salparadise
Rep:
?
xxx
Salparadise
Rep:
?
[xxx
Salparadise
Rep:
?
xxx
KiiNGofLONDON
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah good luck to both of us. I wonder what fraction of PPE applicants is present or has at least lurked this site. The Oxford contingent is huge! Did you know Mancheste only has 22 places? Thanks for the support
Yeah and 213 applicants last year!
SSDas
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by _MaThs_)
Believe it or not, I didn't get a single A in my gcse's only 2 B's and the rest C's but still managed to get ABBC. I know my grades are not good enough but I still got into Warwick .

My point is, A-levels are much much more important than GCSE's, as long as you have 5 GCSE's A*-C

Your GCSE's are fine, I wish I could get 5 A's
What course are you doing at Warwick?
_MaThs_
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by SSDas)
What course are you doing at Warwick?
engineering , hence they accepted my low grades
Piricad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, it sounds very reasonable. Although for some reason a load of people on TSR are convinced that A*s at GCSE are everything.

I can't believe any educated academic would be so stupid as to have a blanket A* policy and as you clearly have ability and academic success in quite diverse subjects I don't see what they would want GCSEs to prove.
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am a mature student who left school 4 years ago with medicore GCSEs (see sig). Having returned to education last year I have gained A's in Economics,Eng Lit, Critical Thinking ,Eng Lang and History and am taking Econ,Lit and History to A2 and taking up AS Maths (and perhaps A2).My predictions are also in my sig.

I am considering applying for Politics Philosophy and Economics at the following:

Manchester AAB
York AAB
Edinburgh (Phil and Econ) AAA-BBB ( I tick several of the social engineering boxes so perhaps a sympathetic offer)
Oxford AAA
Warwick AAAb

Does this seem realistic?
Check out the PPE 2010 thread:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...2#post20834772

and the PPE version of TAELT:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=916175

But I think you want a safety uni you can bank on getting an offer from. And currently you have 4 of the 5 most competitive PPE unis Plus Edinbirgh who are widely holistic and hence nobodies banker. So that would suggest keeping 4 of your 5 and then adding in a safe option.
Salparadise
Rep:
?
xy
Paulwhy
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Thanks for the advice Paul. I'm thinking of changing Warwick for eiither Southampton or Exeter as they both as Entry reqs of ABB for PPE permutations. However if I stick with the current lineup and get rejected by all 5 I could reapply with full A levels next year and take F.Maths and Chemistry AS strengthening it further. I would has lost another year of my life but would have a solid application if my grades stay at the current level.
If you go aggressive with your uni choice then you should apply to Gap year employment schemes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (211)
39.66%
No - but I will (35)
6.58%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (250)
46.99%

Watched Threads