The Student Room Group

Missing offers

If an offer is missed by one grade, after phoning up the university and asking if they will still take you, will you get a definite reply on results' day?

I'm thinking that this might vary from university to university.. but I'm just slightly confused.

I could be going on holiday quite soon after the results come out, but if I miss my offer I will obviously have to remain at home for a while to talk to various university type people if I miss the offer by one grade.

Has anyone experienced dropping a grade and had to face a similar situation?

Scroll to see replies

I heard that the university has usually decided whether or not to accept you before results day because they get your grades earlier, so you should get an answer straight away when you ring up. I don't think it should take more than day as they'll be keen to get everything sorted out quickly. I hope you don't need to know this because you meet your offer though
Reply 2
Yes I think they have usually decided -- they definitely get your grades early but I don't know if they get your UMS marks :confused: so if you only miss by a bit you can phone them and beg :redface: From what I've heard this is usually decided within the day (but I'm not sure if this is the case 100% of the time) but if you want to appeal over your marks then thats obviously going to take longer. But I have yet to go this :frown: -- hopefully you won't have to :smile:
Reply 3
It's usually decided. However, I had to wait til the day after to find out.

You don't normally get a chance to phone upo and beg though. Most unis seem to have the phones manned by students, who are therefore only able to tell you what the computer says. This leaves the admissions staff to decide on people who missed their offers/Clearing people etc.
Ah, thankyou. I think I've already picked myself up a C and if I pick up another C then I'll have missed out on my first offer so.. argh *panics*.

I would have prepared an emotional begging speech (with cries of woe, gentle weeping etc) for the admissions staff on the phone, but going by what Juno just said, it would be slightly pointless. Ah well :p:
Reply 5
If it happens call them - For my first degree I needed BBD for my first choice and got ADD - they still took me :smile:
Reply 6
When I was at Lancaster open day the guy said as part of his talk that if anybody missed the offer to phone right away and a decision will already have been made, because they get the results early. But not sure if all unis will have final decisions ready.
Reply 7
Most will have - Universities get your results 5 days before you do...
last year my mate missed her first choice by a grade, she rang the uni but cudnt get thro (the lines were all full) so our head of sixth sent an email to the uni and kept trying as well. finally he managed to speak to some addmissions person, who said they would reconsider her 'since schoo obviously believed in her ability' and she ended up gettin in!so my advice wud be to enlist the help of a teacher/head of sixth form! but im sure it wont come this - good luck!xx
Reply 9
I am also worried about missing my offer. :frown: I hope they still let me in though.

I saw somewhere that someone missed their offer my 100 points and they are still let in. :eek: In addition, I saw another thread somewhere that someone got in with just 100 points! Those people are lucky!

Fluffy
Most will have - Universities get your results 5 days before you do...

Will they call us if we got accepted, or can we just check UCAS track 5 days before results day?
Reply 10
trev

Will they call us if we got accepted, or can we just check UCAS track 5 days before results day?

Nope - Nothing happens that you see until Results day.

UCAS track is turned off a day or two before to allow results to be put thru in good time, and is usually put back on again the day after/or late afternoon of results day...
Reply 11
Fluffy
Nope - Nothing happens that you see until Results day.

UCAS track is turned off a day or two before to allow results to be put thru in good time, and is usually put back on again the day after/or late afternoon of results day...

Alright then. O yeah, we will get a letter from UCAS to see if the firm or insurance uni accepts us anyway. :redface:

How come uni's get the results 5 days before results day, and UCAS don't get them 5 days before results day? :confused:
I missed my offer by one grade and it took the uni 7 days to cancel their offer. I kept phoning and emailing them but all i got was them saying they would get back to me as soon as possible.
Reply 13
trev
How come uni's get the results 5 days before results day, and UCAS don't get them 5 days before results day? :confused:

UCAS do get your results - it's they who pass them on to the relevant universities.

Just because you don't find them out for a while after, is not the same as them not having them.

They (UCAS and Unis) get them sooner as by results day they are expected to have made the majority of their decisions.

You will not finsd out until results day at the earliest though - the Universities are bound by [not sure if it's law or moral code] not to tell you if you phone up before results day, so I wouldn't try that :wink:
Reply 14
Fluffy
UCAS do get your results - it's they who pass them on to the relevant universities.

Just because you don't find them out for a while after, is not the same as them not having them.

They (UCAS and Unis) get them sooner as by results day they are expected to have made the majority of their decisions.

You will not finsd out until results day at the earliest though - the Universities are bound by [not sure if it's law or moral code] not to tell you if you phone up before results day, so I wouldn't try that :wink:

So I guess we will know if we get accepted after results day on the 19th or a week after that? :redface:
Reply 15
trev
So I guess we will know if we get accepted after results day on the 19th or a week after that? :redface:

You should know if you're accepted on results day. It's obvius that if you make your offer you will be accepted, so you don't need to do anything.

If you miss your firm by a few grades then either phone them up or check UCAS track. You should get an answer that day, but sometimes they don't decide until later. If you phone really early in the morning you may have to phone back later.

If you don't get in your firm and have missed your insurance, phone them or check UCAS track.

If you don't get in either, then you have to do Clearing. I was so optimistic I bought an Independent before I got my results.
Reply 16
just a quick query because i'm becoming increasingly paranoid about this - on my ucas form it says i am doing four a levels yet my offer is AAB. I've dropped one of the A levels without telling the uni, but i should still be able to meet my offer with the three subjects i am still taking. The university won't get annoyed with me for dropping a subject and not telling them? They can't refuse me can they if i still make my offer? gah. xx
Reply 17
mousey
just a quick query because i'm becoming increasingly paranoid about this - on my ucas form it says i am doing four a levels yet my offer is AAB. I've dropped one of the A levels without telling the uni, but i should still be able to meet my offer with the three subjects i am still taking. The university won't get annoyed with me for dropping a subject and not telling them? They can't refuse me can they if i still make my offer? gah. xx

I don't want to panic you but you must contact your uni ASAP and tell them that you've dropped a subject. When I went to a university talk at my firm choice they said that last year a girl who had an offer of AAB had dropped her 4th subject, but they rejected her after results despite the fact that she got AAA, because the offer had been made on the basis that she obtain AAB from 4 subjects, not 3. That's just Liverpool's policy for some reason, but I suggest you contact your uni ASAP.

Good luck and don't worry it will probs be ok :smile:
Reply 18
red_roadkill
I don't want to panic you but you must contact your uni ASAP and tell them that you've dropped a subject. When I went to a university talk at my firm choice they said that last year a girl who had an offer of AAB had dropped her 4th subject, but they rejected her after results despite the fact that she got AAA, because the offer had been made on the basis that she obtain AAB from 4 subjects, not 3. That's just Liverpool's policy for some reason, but I suggest you contact your uni ASAP.

Good luck and don't worry it will probs be ok :smile:

I've heard the same of other medical schools too.
Reply 19
PQ
Technically they can only get away with that if either the offer specifies 4 A levels OR you fail to inform them in advance of results day that you've dropped an A level.

If the offer specifies 3 A levels and you tell them before results day then they're contractually obliged to take you if you meet that offer.

If you don't tell them that you've dropped an A level then you invalidate the declaration on your UCAS form and give them an opt out which allows them to reject you despite meeting the conditions of the offer (the offer is based on the contents of the UCAS form being accurate - if circumstances change and you don't inform them ASAP then the UCAS form and conditional agreement is no longer binding).

But hang on, isn't dropping a subject the same as just failing or getting a U. They can't reject you if get a U in a subject but still manage to meet your offer with your other subjects, since they haven't specified what grades they want for each subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending