Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Technically they can only get away with that if either the offer specifies 4 A levels OR you fail to inform them in advance of results day that you've dropped an A level.
    Exactly...

ReputationRep:
    anyone know if Unis get your UMS score, to see how much you missed a grade by?

(Original post by spangletastic)
    If an offer is missed by one grade, after phoning up the university and asking if they will still take you, will you get a definite reply on results' day?

I'm thinking that this might vary from university to university.. but I'm just slightly confused.

I could be going on holiday quite soon after the results come out, but if I miss my offer I will obviously have to remain at home for a while to talk to various university type people if I miss the offer by one grade.

Has anyone experienced dropping a grade and had to face a similar situation?
    It depends on whether you have a good reason for dropping grades.

Universities will take mitigating circumstances into account even after results day. I have known of students who have had to cope with traumatic family circumstances and those who were suffering from illness whilst taking exams that have been accepted eventually even after being rejected initially.

You can appeal against grade results from exam boards or against unis refusing to accept you. Up to 50% of appeals on latter cases are successful!

ReputationRep:
    when you say you ring uni admissions do you ring the actual admissions person for your course or the general admissions number? i guess its important to take these to college on results day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchiBoi)
    when you say you ring uni admissions do you ring the actual admissions person for your course or the general admissions number? i guess its important to take these to college on results day
    I imagine the universities will have a number of dedicated telephone lines on results day...these will probably be published online.

ReputationRep:
    *toddles off to email Nottingham*

ReputationRep:
    Well, i just phoned them because i thought that would be quicker, and the admissions woman has said that it doesn't matter that i've dropped a subject as long as i meet my offer. She said i didn't have to tell UCAS, so it all sounds ok. She just recommended that i email Nottingham so they have a record of me dropping it. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    It depends on whether you have a good reason for dropping grades.

Universities will take mitigating circumstances into account even after results day. I have known of students who have had to cope with traumatic family circumstances and those who were suffering from illness whilst taking exams that have been accepted eventually even after being rejected initially.

You can appeal against grade results from exam boards or against unis refusing to accept you. Up to 50% of appeals on latter cases are successful!
    I don't really have any mitigating circumstances. I just don't think I've performed particularly well in the some of the exams I've already taken.

I'm slightly worried about the nosedive that I've taken between AS and A Level. At AS last year I got AAAB (and a C in general) but this year I'll be lucky to BBC.. maybe the admissions people at the university will think I didn't put enough effort into my work this year or something *panics*

Is having an inadequate brain a mitigating circumstance?! I hope so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spangletastic)
    I don't really have any mitigating circumstances. I just don't think I've performed particularly well in the some of the exams I've already taken.

I'm slightly worried about the nosedive that I've taken between AS and A Level. At AS last year I got AAAB (and a C in general) but this year I'll be lucky to BBC.. maybe the admissions people at the university will think I didn't put enough effort into my work this year or something *panics*

Is having an inadequate brain a mitigating circumstance?! I hope so.
    As long as you meet the offer, you would get in. According to your offers, one of htem is BBc, so if you are lucky to get BBc, you would get in for sure, Some people tend to fal la grade afte completing their A2's.

ReputationRep:
    DO you mean in these exams you would lucky to get BBC, because if you're just talking about your A2 exams it might not be so bad when added to the As you got in AS. Your AS grades might pick you up if you know what i mean? xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    UCAS are actually considering having UCAS track up and running from 7am on results day this year - so many people will know whether they've been accepted or rejected (or no decision has been made yet) before they get their grades.

The uni's recieve the results on the Sunday before results day. If you've met your offer or missed by a long way then they should have made up their mind and communicated it to UCAS by the end of Wednesday - which means it'll show on track on Thursday morning. If you've only missed by a small amount though the uni may take a while longer to decide - they'll be working as fast as they can but they are often dependant on finding out how their insurance applicants have done (ie whether the applicants who've got them as insurance get accepted/rejected by their firm choice).
    has this been confirmed about it being on track! . that would be great.. atleast then we would be prepared when we go get our results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mousey)
    DO you mean in these exams you would lucky to get BBC, because if you're just talking about your A2 exams it might not be so bad when added to the As you got in AS. Your AS grades might pick you up if you know what i mean? xx
    Yep, I know what you mean.

But I think that with my AS and A Level results combined I'll only end up getting BBC if I'm lucky. I just don't quite know what's happened to my exam technique this year, it's completely gone.

I only need 150/300 this year in Politics to get an overall B, but I'm actually doubting that I'll even get that seeing as I haven't even started revision for it yet as I've been so preoccupied revising for other subjects (not that it seems to have really paid off, )

Oh well, I'll just have to wait until August to know what's going to happen for definite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's still being finalised between UCAS and schools - schools and colleges don't want track coming online early because they think that students need to be in school with teachers who will help them if they find out they've been rejected/haven't been accepted.

If it wasn't for the schools kicking up a fuss UCAS would have been releasing status's first thing on results day for years.
    I think its a realy good idea.. never mind! .. we will have to go into school anyway to pick up our results so it wouldnt matter!

ReputationRep:
    My friend's ex missed his Manchester offer by two grades. He phoned them on results day, but didn't receive a decision (you're in) until the following Monday.

ReputationRep:
    was the grade he dropped, the subject he wanted to study??

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.