Is my friend lying about diabetes? Watch

Keyblade92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
My friend has said today he may be diabetic, and to see if he is the doctors are telling him to eat high sugar meals for a week, and then no sugar meals for a week, and see what the effects are. This doesn't sound right. Do you think he's lying? Don't they do blood tests instantly for diabetes?

Thanks guyz, much love :yep:
~ Purple Rose ~
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They would do either a blood or urine test. They would definitely not tell a potential diabetic to eat high amounts of sugar!
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
He is either lying, misunderstood what the doctor had told him or has a seriously doggy GP.
WhatAboutYe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
They would do either a blood or urine test. They would definitely not tell a potential diabetic to eat high amounts of sugar!
Ha ha, this.
emvard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Keyblade92)
My friend has said today he may be diabetic, and to see if he is the doctors are telling him to eat high sugar meals for a week, and then no sugar meals for a week, and see what the effects are. This doesn't sound right. Do you think he's lying? Don't they do blood tests instantly for diabetes?

Is your friend... a rat?
coldfusion
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Could be a misunderstanding cos doctors will ask for urine/blood samples after certain times. Eg one in the morning pre food, one after consuming several energy drinks, etc. Never for a week though.
Yekim_8
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
haha it would make very interesting viewing if these tests were put into practice.
Neo Con
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hmmmm. No. I think if he is diabetic he would have been peeing loads and also he would have been losing weight and drinking lots too. And his doctor should have asked about that and done a urine dipstick or summin.
eden
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
err no. when my gp suspected diabetes he sent me for a fasting blood test. to check fasting blood sugar, and also checked urine for sugar and ketones. this was before further fasting blood sugar and hba1c test to confirm the diagnosis.

i really hope your friend is either lying or has misunderstood what the gp said. i suggest you advise him to go back see another gp, and ask for tests to be run
martin101
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Hmm well if your friend is diabetic it would most likely kill them doing that, and if by chance it didnt, I cant see how it would be diagnostically helpful. If you think about it if the doctor sees them afterwards all hes going to see is someone whos blood sugar is in their boots. Standard diagnostic tests for diabetes are done on overnight fasting blood sugar levels
alis-volat-propiis
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Nope. They would do an instant blood glucose test/urine test on him and if it was high they would send him straight to hospital to a diabetes centre. NO doctor would ever tell a potential diabetic to eat high sugar meals for a week as if they were diabetic this could potentially put them in to a coma. Sounds to be like your friend is either winding you up or this doctor is a complete loon.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (316)
37.44%
No - but I will (66)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (62)
7.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (400)
47.39%

Watched Threads