PPE Advice Watch

Isabella___
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, I was just wondering what anyone thinks is a sufficient amount of books to mention in a personal statement for Oxford?
I have mentioned three, and they are all economics with a slight political bent, and I'm feeling it won't be enough. Will they be concerned that I haven't taken the time to read around in philosophy?
Thanks very much in advance
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It isn't the number of books you mention, it is what you say about them which counts. There seems to be a common myth that if one includes numerous book titles then the admissions people are going to be impressed, when they are not if all the applicant has done is name dropped them. You need to ensure that you're actually giving an opinion on the things you've read, analysing them and perhaps agreeing/disagreeing with certain points or ideas using other things you've read. It is not enough to simply say 'I have read a book about cows. It taught me all about how they live on a farm and I think it was a good read', you need to go way beyond that for it to mean anything.

Also remember that the more texts you include, the more texts it gives Oxford to question you on further in an interview, so you'd need to know them all inside out.

Moved to the main social science uni forum - PS help is the place to post your PS once it is finished then we can give you some feed back on things such as your reading. So if you'd like a review just post back in PS help and we can take a look
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.69%
No - but I will (100)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (622)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise