Empire: Total War- some questions Watch

hattilongsoks
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi

Hope I'm posting in the right forum.
I don't know anything about computers or computer games really just to let you know, so sorry if i ask some very stupid questions.

I'm wanting to buy my boyfriend Empire: Total War for his birthday.
He has a fairly decent PC at home and a decent laptop for uni. It's an hp laptop with windows vista and he got it last year before uni started.

He keeps telling me Empire: Total War wont work on his laptop but will on his pc. But i'd really like him to be able to play the game whenever he likes (despite the fact im quite scared he might get obbsessed and forget about his degree lol!)

It's not a massive issue if he can just play it at home i guess, but i dont understand how an older pc can be better than a laptop?

I offered to buy him a game card but he said they cost loads...does anybody know how much and can any body tell me if there are any cheaper alternatives to game cards? Like could i buy him an external harddrive or something for the game?

So in short want to buy my bf that game for his laptop...will it work?

he really wants the game and i'd love to get him it, so any help with this would be amazing thank you!

p.s. found the specification but i still don't really know if a laptop has the right things and space. also if anybody has this game can you let me know how good it is too?
Habal
Report 9 years ago
Do you know if he has modded his laptop since he got it? It is a lot harder to do that to a laptop (and PCs are better for gaming. They're bigger for a reason (not meant to be patronising)), so if you know the make and the name you could try looking it up on HP's website.

Most laptops have a 'fixed' graphics card which are usually rubbish for gaming, so your boyfriend is probably right. (In which case, sorry)

The game is pretty awesome though, so if you had your heart set on getting it and he can play it on his pc anyway, go ahead and get it. It's 20 quid in gamestation atm, though if you shop around it might be even cheaper elsewhere.

The main problem with PC gaming is, unlike consoles, not all games will run on all pcs, and pcs are often outdated after a few months, so keeping up-to-date can be a pain.

PS, did you find the specs of his laptop, or the game?
hattilongsoks
Rep:
?
(Original post by Habal)
Do you know if he has modded his laptop since he got it? It is a lot harder to do that to a laptop (and PCs are better for gaming. They're bigger for a reason (not meant to be patronising)), so if you know the make and the name you could try looking it up on HP's website.

Most laptops have a 'fixed' graphics card which are usually rubbish for gaming, so your boyfriend is probably right. (In which case, sorry)

The game is pretty awesome though, so if you had your heart set on getting it and he can play it on his pc anyway, go ahead and get it. It's 20 quid in gamestation atm, though if you shop around it might be even cheaper elsewhere.

The main problem with PC gaming is, unlike consoles, not all games will run on all pcs, and pcs are often outdated after a few months, so keeping up-to-date can be a pain.

PS, did you find the specs of his laptop, or the game?

hey thanks so much for your reply and you weren't patronising at all.
right that has made it clearer and he said he wouldn't mind playing it on his pc when he's at home (probs better that way since he said he'd get addicted to it!)

i found the game spec which you probs already know but it's:
As for the specs, here's what you'll need as a minimum in order to play the game:

OS - XP or Vista 32
Processor - Intel 2.4ghz or equivalent
RAM - 2GB (Vista) 1GB (XP)
GPU - 256MB Card, DirectX 9.0
HDD Space - 15GB

'cos i'm so completely computer illiterate i can only find the spec of a similar model
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...dTypeId=321957

but i still don't have a clue! anyways dont think it'll work but i can try and get it for his pc. it's harder to find out his pc stuff but i might just ask his mum secretly!

thanks for your help anyways
ourlastmemory
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't buy it, take it from me, you will never see your boyfriend again :zomg:
hattilongsoks
Rep:
?
(Original post by ourlastmemory)
Don't buy it, take it from me, you will never see your boyfriend again :zomg:
haha yeah he did tell me this

he actually said if i buy him total war it will be the equivilant of him buying me jonny depp or basically a prettier, better boyfriend haha

so yeah, maybe it's good itll only work on his pc at home :/ i'm not sure!
Lefty Leo
Badges: 10
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hattilongsoks)
Hi

Hope I'm posting in the right forum.
I don't know anything about computers or computer games really just to let you know, so sorry if i ask some very stupid questions.

I'm wanting to buy my boyfriend Empire: Total War for his birthday.
He has a fairly decent PC at home and a decent laptop for uni. It's an hp laptop with windows vista and he got it last year before uni started.

He keeps telling me Empire: Total War wont work on his laptop but will on his pc. But i'd really like him to be able to play the game whenever he likes (despite the fact im quite scared he might get obbsessed and forget about his degree lol!)

It's not a massive issue if he can just play it at home i guess, but i dont understand how an older pc can be better than a laptop?

I offered to buy him a game card but he said they cost loads...does anybody know how much and can any body tell me if there are any cheaper alternatives to game cards? Like could i buy him an external harddrive or something for the game?

So in short want to buy my bf that game for his laptop...will it work?

he really wants the game and i'd love to get him it, so any help with this would be amazing thank you!

p.s. found the specification but i still don't really know if a laptop has the right things and space. also if anybody has this game can you let me know how good it is too?
Empire Total War is a ripoff, fails at stategy and is an awful representation of tactics.

Get him Europa Universalis III or Hearts of Iron II if he's a strategy gamer (or Victoria if he wants an economics and industrialization erection), or get him one of the various Cossacks series of games if he's a tactics nut. As a bonus they work on even lower end PCs pretty well (although if i were to be honest i haven't played cossacks games for YEARS. I'm not even sure they're released under the same title anymore :lolwut:)

ETW is a pile of *****. Don't listen to any game critic that tells you otherwise. Unrealistic, unsatisfying and childishly simple garbage.

However, if your bf isn't a .. well, an arrogant jackass like me who considers himself above oversimplistic unrealistic overhyped poop and is just out for some fun, get him Empire Total War, although it is certainly not worth the money investment. It's pretty fun for a few days, before the various wipeouts of the Portuguese or the Dutch within twenty turns begins to take its toll on your historical accuracy obsessed mind (or mine, in this case).
EnthusiasticEnthusiast
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lefty Leo)
Empire Total War is a ripoff, fails at stategy and is an awful representation of tactics.

Get him Europa Universalis III or Hearts of Iron II if he's a strategy gamer (or Victoria if he wants an economics and industrialization erection), or get him one of the various Cossacks series of games if he's a tactics nut. As a bonus they work on even lower end PCs pretty well (although if i were to be honest i haven't played cossacks games for YEARS. I'm not even sure they're released under the same title anymore :lolwut:)

ETW is a pile of *****. Don't listen to any game critic that tells you otherwise. Unrealistic, unsatisfying and childishly simple garbage.

However, if your bf isn't a .. well, an arrogant jackass like me who considers himself above oversimplistic unrealistic overhyped poop and is just out for some fun, get him Empire Total War, although it is certainly not worth the money investment. It's pretty fun for a few days, before the various wipeouts of the Portuguese or the Dutch within twenty turns begins to take its toll on your historical accuracy obsessed mind (or mine, in this case).
QQ
Lefty Leo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by EnthusiasticEnthusiast)
QQ
You want me to form a queue? :unsure:
EnthusiasticEnthusiast
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You want me to form a queue? :unsure:
Literally, QQ is a set of crying eyes. However, given its usual context in online games, it is usually assumed to mean "Cry more noob."
Lefty Leo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by EnthusiasticEnthusiast)
Literally, QQ is a set of crying eyes. However, given its usual context in online games, it is usually assumed to mean "Cry more noob."
LOL alright :p:

TBF, nobody would disagree that when it comes to "pro"ness, Paradox games take the cake at long term considerations, planning, foresight and take much more "skill", as if one needs such in excess quantities (you do, but it's not like playing a game is designed to be inherently challenging), to play than tripe like ETW.

I'm not actually crying in anger and revulsion at ETW. I didn't even buy it, i just torrented it. And even then it wasn't worth it. Maybe i should cry in remorse at the bandwith i wasted downloading it :bawling:
bigmo7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

TBF, nobody would disagree that when it comes to "pro"ness, Paradox games take the cake at long term considerations, planning, foresight and take much more "skill", as if one needs such in excess quantities (you do, but it's not like playing a game is designed to be inherently challenging), to play than tripe like ETW.

I'm not actually crying in anger and revulsion at ETW. I didn't even buy it, i just torrented it. And even then it wasn't worth it. Maybe i should cry in remorse at the bandwith i wasted downloading it :bawling:
I did the same, I played it once after I got it, now it's just taking up 12gb of space on my Hard drive....what a waste....
Lefty Leo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bigmo7)
I did the same, I played it once after I got it, now it's just taking up 12gb of space on my Hard drive....what a waste....
Yeah i'm still saving it on mine on the offchance that one day i'm high or something and instead of getting more high or watching some really bad on TV and finding it hilarious, i'll want to play ETW, but then if i was high and i wouldn't have it installed i would go like crazy and be tripping badly. Just saving it for that remote possiblity.

TMI? :ninja:
ozzyoscy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Age doesn't especially matter regarding being able to play a game.

The important things are what type of OS it has (Windows XP, Vista, Windows 98 etc.), the speed of the processor, the size of RAM and the quality of the graphics card.

I bought a PC 3 years ago, yet I could buy a new laptop now and it wouldn't be as powerful as my PC.
hattilongsoks
Rep:
?

Cheers for this review.... bit worried now cos he is totally history obsessed, knows practically everything about politics and history and loves hard-core stratedgy games!

So i'll check out the ones you've recommended. 'Europa Universalis III or Hearts of Iron II' and Victoria. I guess i can find out myself but would they work on a pretty simple laptop like his? or are they more pc games? it doesn't matter i'd just like to know.

thanks for everybody elses help too
White Zenith
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

I had a similar feeling after first playing it, and it was only when I got into it a bit more that I realised how excellent it actually is.

For sure the campaign is stupidly easy once you have established yourself, and the AI is horribly stupid.
The thing that makes me love it is the actual battles. From a visual perspective they are awesome, seeing 4000 or more men on the battlefield firing at each other, with the smoke drifting through the trees etc is awesome. As are the naval battles in terms of the 'wow' factor.

From a campaign perspective, many others are superior in almost every way, but they don't touch the Total War series for the actual battles.
QwentyJ
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hattilongsoks)
Cheers for this review.... bit worried now cos he is totally history obsessed, knows practically everything about politics and history and loves hard-core strategy games!

So i'll check out the ones you've recommended. 'Europa Universalis III or Hearts of Iron II' and Victoria. I guess i can find out myself but would they work on a pretty simple laptop like his? or are they more pc games? it doesn't matter i'd just like to know.

thanks for everybody elses help too
All games have settings where you can run them as low as possible so that they should be able to run on a lower/older end computer. E:TW is one of these. Being an Ancient Historian and Archaeologist, I have enjoyed all the games in the Total War series. E:TW is quite accurate in its history and representation, but for the game to be popular and game playable, they've had to sacrifice a few things so that the game sells well. EUIII and HOI2 are very accurate games, but they are for the absolute strategy buff. Different way of playing and all that, generally, something I wouldn't play because they don't fit my type of ideal game play.

You could also just buy him an issue of PC Gamer and let him make up his own mind up. Generally though, the games in he TW are worthwhile, so I don't think he'll be dissapointed.
TheBlindestPilot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get him to go on this site and select ETW. - http://beta.systemrequirementslab.com/srl/

It's the new version and only in beta at the moment, but still does the trick.
Lefty Leo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by White Zenith)
I had a similar feeling after first playing it, and it was only when I got into it a bit more that I realised how excellent it actually is.

For sure the campaign is stupidly easy once you have established yourself, and the AI is horribly stupid.
The thing that makes me love it is the actual battles. From a visual perspective they are awesome, seeing 4000 or more men on the battlefield firing at each other, with the smoke drifting through the trees etc is awesome. As are the naval battles in terms of the 'wow' factor.

From a campaign perspective, many others are superior in almost every way, but they don't touch the Total War series for the actual battles.
Even that is flawed :p:

Not a single battle in history has had two sides with exactly the same "quantities" of troops (balanced out for numbers, obviously, ie, a cap of regiments, not literal troop quantities). And even so, the numbers themselves are so small what you're actually seeing is a very minor skirmish, whereas the battles in actual history, atleast ones of similar significance, would have involved 10x the troop quantities (or more) over a much much larger area.
White Zenith
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Even that is flawed :p:

Not a single battle in history has had two sides with exactly the same "quantities" of troops (balanced out for numbers, obviously, ie, a cap of regiments, not literal troop quantities). And even so, the numbers themselves are so small what you're actually seeing is a very minor skirmish, whereas the battles in actual history, atleast ones of similar significance, would have involved 10x the troop quantities (or more) over a much much larger area.
I'm not talking from a historical accuracy point of view of course. I'm talking pure enjoyment of the actual game.
Perhaps you get your kicks from the attention to historical detail of games, but I and the majority of gamers do not. If you are a historian, this isn't the game for you, and it doesn't necessarily pretend to be. It's about troop control on a huge scale, fighting (by RTS standards) huge cinematic style battles. And on these fronts it delivers more than any other.
Lefty Leo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by White Zenith)
I'm not talking from a historical accuracy point of view of course. I'm talking pure enjoyment of the actual game.
Perhaps you get your kicks from the attention to historical detail of games, but I and the majority of gamers do not. If you are a historian, this isn't the game for you, and it doesn't necessarily pretend to be. It's about troop control on a huge scale, fighting (by RTS standards) huge cinematic style battles. And on these fronts it delivers more than any other.
It's pretty un entertaining to be able to fend off three to four enemy armies in one territory with one reinforced army and decent generalship. I think in games like these AI quality is one of the hugest factors, which is missing in ETW :p:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (499)
37.83%
No - but I will (101)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (90)
6.82%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (629)
47.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed