when does your course start? Watch

madima
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
for second years and above: when does your course start? (i would love you more if you studied engineering and replied.)
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Erm, how about 1st week?:erm: Most second-years will have to be back in 0th week, though, because of collections.
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by madima)
for second years and above: when does your course start? (i would love you more if you studied engineering and replied.)
Everybody's lectures start in 1st week. That's why it's called 1st week. And you have to be back in Oxford by Thursday of 0th. Same for everyone, regardless of term, year or course.
henryt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm guessing you might be referring to the 4th year Chemists, and other scientists who have extended terms, but if not, then everyone's course begins on the 13th October.
This has the differing term dates for each of the special cases.
madima
Rep:
?
(Original post by hobnob)
Erm, how about 1st week?:erm: Most second-years will have to be back in 0th week, though, because of collections.
whoa... collections after prelims? most subjects have those?

(Original post by Bekaboo)
Everybody's lectures start in 1st week. That's why it's called 1st week. And you have to be back in Oxford by Thursday of 0th. Same for everyone, regardless of term, year or course.
i meant 1st week then .

(Original post by henryt)
I'm guessing you might be referring to the 4th year Chemists, and other scientists who have extended terms, but if not, then everyone's course begins on the 13th October.
This has the differing term dates for each of the special cases.
thaaat's what i was looking for. thanks.
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh I get you. I didn't realise you were asking for the dates for 1st week - sorry

And no, only sadistic tutors set michaelmas collections for 2nd year, although plenty do for 3rd
madima
Rep:
?
Oh I get you. I didn't realise you were asking for the dates for 1st week - sorry

And no, only sadistic tutors set michaelmas collections for 2nd year, although plenty do for 3rd
ah i see. thanks for that. i doubt i'd be getting collections in third year if i'm doing finals in the second though.
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends how engineering finals work... Do your second year finals cover everything taught in second year, or is some of the material examined in third year?
madima
Rep:
?
i honestly have no clue lol.
cpchem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Engineers don't have second year exams, do they?

Hehe... my year always managed to avoid Michaelmas collections - they like us
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
What's with these crazy michaelmas collections some colleges seem to do :confused: . You haven't even learned any stuff yet...
cpchem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
What's with these crazy michaelmas collections some colleges seem to do :confused: . You haven't even learned any stuff yet...
Michaelmas collections for second/third years etc. :tongue:
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You read the bit that said "second year" right? Most subjects don't just teach you for one exam and expect you to forget it over the summer. Knowledge is cumulative :yep:
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cpchem)
Michaelmas collections for second/third years etc. :tongue:
You read the bit that said "second year" right? Most subjects don't just teach you for one exam and expect you to forget it over the summer. Knowledge is cumulative :yep:
Yes, second year, i know :p: . Gawd some don't let up do they? You'd have thought passing first year exams would be enough! Could be rational i suppose though, although i don't believe there are any collections held at my college to speak of. Maybe Law and Classics, not sure.

My response was also partly in reference to the Brasenose 2nd year medics who have a collection when they get back on ... what we will be taught the coming year. Nothing about last years stuff at all. Interesting method of teaching anyway.
cpchem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, second year, i know :p: . Gawd some don't let up do they? You'd have thought passing first year exams would be enough! Could be rational i suppose though, although i don't believe there are any collections held at my college to speak of. Maybe Law and Classics, not sure.

My response was also partly in reference to the Brasenose 2nd year medics who have a collection when they get back on ... what we will be taught the coming year. Nothing about last years stuff at all. Interesting method of teaching anyway.
Well, no... not really. If what you're doing is a continuation of prelims work, then it makes sense to ensure that you're still up-to-speed on it after the insanely long summer vac. It helps in the organisation of teaching, to some extent.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Engineers don't have second year exams, do they?
Those about to start their second years will.
Mayfly
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Slightly off-topic - I don't know how it goes for sciences, but I remember freaking out about my first ever collections in HT08 in the hall outside the JCR, and a third year history student who was smoking outside asking "Who is your tutor?" then when I responded, excitedly saying "Oh! I've failed a collection for *tutor's name*!"

And I never worried about them again.

Seriously though, you won't have collections this term...don't start worrying about the ones in second year for a while
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well, no... not really. If what you're doing is a continuation of prelims work, then it makes sense to ensure that you're still up-to-speed on it after the insanely long summer vac. It helps in the organisation of teaching, to some extent.
Come to think of it, chemistry would be one of the few subjects that would have that continuation though wouldn't it? Artsy subjects especially seem to be very modular.
cpchem
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Come to think of it, chemistry would be one of the few subjects that would have that continuation though wouldn't it? Artsy subjects especially seem to be very modular.
Well, most of the sciences do.
mja
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
First year lawyers sit Mods before Easter, so they have Michaelmas collections on the papers they took in Trinity (after Mods).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads