Applying to Geology 2010-predicted grades lower than entry requirement Watch

ting_tina
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, I'm going to apply to Geology in 2010.
I'm predicted an ABB but in Imperial the entry requirements is an AAB, I was told by my tutor that I would instantly get a rejection because I don't have the predicted grades for the entry requirements and was advised not to apply. Should I apply anyway?

The other unis I'm thinking of applying to are:
UCL-ABB
Manchester-BBB
Leicester-BBB
Edinburgh-BBB OR Royal Holloway-BBC

Thanks
lets_make_some_music
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its worth a try
what other things have you got that make you stand out as an applicant?
Muckamuck
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Totally apply. Maybe Oxford too? Their entry requirements (as you probably know) are only AAB as well. Your other unis look like decent choices, and I'd expect you to at least get a couple of offers. Remember: "seldom does a person exceed their expectations". Or something. Good luck with it all.

PS - It largely depends on what levels you're taking at the moment. i.e. Maths, Geography and Physics would probably stand you in better stead than Media Studies, Dance and Geology.
taheki
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Geology was on Extra at Imperial this year.. so you've got a good chance of being considered. People have got into Imperial with less than the required grades in the past (albeit only for the less popular courses).
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As long as you're a good candidate, Imperial will take a look. ABB is one grade off - they'll at least give a sincere look at your application. If Imperial is where you really want to go [have you checked it out, yet?] then my advice is to go for it.

Unis recognise that predicted grades are often a load of cobblers.

As for your other choices - they're all very solid. My advice is to not risk putting both UCL and Imperial down - pick one or the other. They are both extremely competitive, and will be more so for 2010 entry than ever before. That way you can leave a space for another one of the BBB universities and hedge your bets.
ting_tina
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Muckamuck)
Totally apply. Maybe Oxford too? Their entry requirements (as you probably know) are only AAB as well. Your other unis look like decent choices, and I'd expect you to at least get a couple of offers. Remember: "seldom does a person exceed their expectations". Or something. Good luck with it all.

PS - It largely depends on what levels you're taking at the moment. i.e. Maths, Geography and Physics would probably stand you in better stead than Media Studies, Dance and Geology.
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure on whether to apply, because my tutor 'strongly' advised me not to!

I'm currently doing Chemistry, Biology and Geography at A Levels and I did Geology at AS Level.
Muckamuck
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ting_tina)
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure on whether to apply, because my tutor 'strongly' advised me not to!

I'm currently doing Chemistry, Biology and Geography at A Levels and I did Geology at AS Level.
Yeah, nice A Levels. It's up to you; take your tutor's advice on board but don't let her decide for you. Oxford is perhaps overambitious but I don't think Imperial is at all.
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You might as well try it. You can definitely get those other unis so it's only one choice down if you don't get it anyway!
epoch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just apply in a way you have nothing to loose.Contrary to popular belief not many student use all there alloted UCAS slots and hence only mau choose 3 universities hence it is worth putting it on especially if you would like to go there because you will kick yourself if you do get the grades!

Tbh Geology is not a popular subject which is paradoxical as it has very good job and research prospects as well as pay. That said this means that clearing places often appear and grades boundaries are quite low. Alot of departments will also interview e.g. Bham interview all applicants which is a great way tp get your grades reduced.

In other words apply and dont listen to people who constantly put you off.I would have never have got a PhD place if I had listened to some of my lecturers where as others motivated me to apply and two offers followed.....
HigginsWJR
Report 9 years ago
I find myself in a similar situation. Predicted A(Geog) C (Economics and Biology) and i have applied for Geology to Liverpool, Leeds, Cardiff, Southampton and Birmingham which are all asking for BBB. Advice please ?
Thanks
hothedgehog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
work hard to get those Cs up... you're 2 grades off... i know you've got the A but you've still got the 2 Cs floating around. If i were you i'd apply to one or 2 of those and then look around for some with lower grade offers. Just to be safe really.
User544981
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hi im applying for pharmacy and my predicted grades are BBC not BBB would i still get an offer
all the unis im thinkin off applyin to are askin for BBB
would i get an offer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (432)
37.47%
No - but I will (88)
7.63%
No - I don't want to (79)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (554)
48.05%

Watched Threads