what do they mean? Watch

sssgeni
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
So I've been told multiple times from all subjects that at A-level in addition to classwork and homework we need to do 'wider reading' and 'self-directed study'. My question is... what is that? I don't really know what else to do apart from the classwork, homework and going over my class notes and reading the relevant textbook pages. I get the impression that they're asking for more than this. Any ideas?
Holamigo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Maybe they mean looking more into some topics by yourself - searching the internet & library...even if it's not given as homework.
gmartin2k8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get Background Information To The Topics You Are Looking At, Dont just rely on the specification and the textbook... READ AROUND IT! ie if ur doing disease; Research Pandemics, Endemics, Case studies etc to get a better general knowledge of the topic. The better educated you are on your topic the better you will do on your exam whether it is 100% parallel to the spec or not! [obviously this doesnt work with all subjects ie maths lol]
Good Luck
x
pm me if u need any more info on this!
iheartlaw
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by sssgeni)
So I've been told multiple times from all subjects that at A-level in addition to classwork and homework we need to do 'wider reading' and 'self-directed study'. My question is... what is that? I don't really know what else to do apart from the classwork, homework and going over my class notes and reading the relevant textbook pages. I get the impression that they're asking for more than this. Any ideas?
Hi ssgeni,

"wider reading" and "self directed study" concerns you using your initiative to read around the subject. This regards you searching online or in a library for articles on a topic that you have studied. This is your "wider reading" into the area to develop your understanding into it. "wider reading" can also be considered to reading "around the subject" and getting ahead. It's basically more reading on whatever you're studying or intending to study (a topic in a subject).

Enjoy your reading!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (260)
38.86%
No - but I will (46)
6.88%
No - I don't want to (49)
7.32%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (314)
46.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise