can you still do well without going to all your lectures? Watch

Holli2011
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
i am moving to university in just over a week to do business studies, and i am looking at my job options. I like my current job though to keep it up it would mean working all day sunday and monday - now i might have lectures on mondays but i dont know til i get there. Before i make my decision over whether it is possible for me to do, can you still do well and miss lectures? Im quite good at learning from making my own notes, so if its possible to learn things from lectures out of a textbook then i guess i could do it, but having never been to university before i have no idea what lectures are like. Just wanted some general pointers, and yes i gather that to miss them is bad, i just want to know how bad.. as in is it manageable to still do well
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends on the course. Personally, I've missed loads of lectures and I don't think it's made a significant difference to my grades.
Holli2011
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
Depends on the course. Personally, I've missed loads of lectures and I don't think it's made a significant difference to my grades.
so you think for example if i missed mondays lectures every week, but made effort to catch up what i miss it wont make a difference?
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Holli2011)
so you think for example if i missed mondays lectures every week, but made effort to catch up what i miss it wont make a difference?
It really depends on your course and you'd need to ask someone who already does it. I know I've had modules in History, for instance, where I know rarely going to lectures made no difference whatsoever, in others I've attended most of them because the information is so relevant. I would really try to avoid missing them every week if possible, though.
Libtolu
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A bloke i know doing a masters in economics said his mate at undergrad never went to any lectures he went to maybe 3 or 4 over the course and he got a first, he said its all about the work you put in outside lectures.

If you're sittin around bumming you'll fail but if you read and **** you will do fine.
ancientone
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not that simple. If you have a module on the day you work you will probably miss a large number of sessions and will therefore fail that module. Most universities have attendance regulations
Simon117
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Libtolu)
A bloke i know doing a masters in economics said his mate
Are you deliberatly parodying anecdotes or is this a happy accident?
XxJaninexX
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You might have a seminar or something that day so they would notice and you wouldnt get the personal feedback that i found very useful. You uni may take a attendance, my course at my uni doesnt but other courses do and people have had letters and meetings about missing lectures, and that was far from every week.
Shady05
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some lecturers take registers so they know exactly who is attending. Alot of lecturers put there notes on the university info portal or what ever thy use anyway so you can always access them. But yeh im sure you can still do well if you do not attend them all, but im sure most people would suggest you attend!
Funny Ways
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
Seems a bit pointless though. Your spending / investing thousands of pounds and years of you life on this, the extra money you make won't make up for the money you waste i'd imagine.
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No job, and I mean no job is worth you risking your final degree grade, TBH.

Give it up, and find another job that fits in with your life at university.
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Shady05)
Some lecturers take registers so they know exactly who is attending. Alot of lecturers put there notes on the university info portal or what ever thy use anyway so you can always access them. But yeh im sure you can still do well if you do not attend them all, but im sure most people would suggest you attend!
It would take half the lecture to run through the list with us, and we're a small year! Also, I think the lecturers would riot if they were made to do that.
Jason1990
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
change your hours if necessary?
Shady05
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cpchem)
It would take half the lecture to run through the list with us, and we're a small year! Also, I think the lecturers would riot if they were made to do that.

No, I mean we have to sign in on the way into the lecture theatre. they don't actually read out the list. However, this then makes people sign them in if there not even there!
cpchem
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Shady05)
No, I mean we have to sign in on the way into the lecture theatre. they don't actually read out the list. However, this then makes people sign them in if there not even there!
Yeah, it's a pretty easy system to fool :p: - I think there would be riots if they tried that sort of thing here
Anon the 7th
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
yeah, some people probably could
Venom123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
WHy risk it?
midas
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Venom123)
WHy risk it?
This.

(OT: Your signature wins at life)
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Some of my lectures are spot registered, meaning you don't know when they'll do it so you turn up to all of them. If you are registered not present, they send you a warning by email. If you don't have a valid excuse you get an official departmental warning. Three of these and they start capping your end of year marks.

Why pay 3k per year not to turn up?
touchofclass
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's not too bad to miss a few lectures (it's first year afterall, at least half of the people on my course missed quite a few), especially if there's some sort of portal thing where you can just read over the essay notes.

Ideally though you don't want to be missing seminars, as the discussion with class is something you can't replicate easily in your own time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise