Quick athletics question... Watch

prudentstudent
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
A book I'm looking through has this listed as an exercise:

"6x100 strides Speed medium/rest 1 minute"

Am I being really stupid or does that just mean run 100 paces six times with a 1 minute rest?

If so, why not just list an actual distance?

Cheers
deazle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by prudentstudent)
A book I'm looking through has this listed as an exercise:

"6x100 strides Speed medium/rest 1 minute"

Am I being really stupid or does that just mean run 100 paces six times with a 1 minute rest?

If so, why not just list an actual distance?

Cheers

its 6x100METRES, strides ("strides" = focusing on technique) - not very clear I agree!
So yeah, 6x100m (with 1minute recovery between each) the reason it's strides and not sprinting is that 1min is VERY short.
Syrokal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Because the rest's in between are to give you time to recover, even though it states 100 strides i would presume it should be done at a 80% maximum pace, and smashing out 600 strides is well over 1k and at that kind of pace can mess you up, pace exercises are done in the end to focus on technique.
prudentstudent
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by deazle)
its 6x100METRES, strides ("strides" = focusing on technique) - not very clear I agree!
So yeah, 6x100m (with 1minute recovery between each) the reason it's strides and not sprinting is that 1min is VERY short.
I see- thanks!

So, strides as in.. focusing just on your body position, nothing else? Does that include arms, head position, chest position, that kind of thing?

Also, it says medium pace - what kind of 100m time should that be?
deazle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by prudentstudent)
I see- thanks!

So, strides as in.. focusing just on your body position, nothing else? Does that include arms, head position, chest position, that kind of thing?

Also, it says medium pace - what kind of 100m time should that be?
Yeah, focusing on everything of course! But yes, running style and flow rather than just getting from A to B as fast as possible.

There's not a set time, but say 1.0-1.5 seconds slower than PB pace.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise