Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
For my As I got
RS (ethics and philosophy)-A
Psychology-B
Biology-C
English Lang&Lit-D ( oh dear!)
So that is ABCD
Since I'm planning to do International Relations, I dropped Biology as it seemed the least relevent subject. Plus I hated it.

I know that I could have done much better last year and I am capable to get at least ABB/AAB at the end of my A2s. I'm retaking one of my psychology modules, as I wasn't very far off from an A and retaking my English cw. I did really well in my biology exams as I got B in both modules but my practical asignment earned me an E dropping my grade all the way to a C :mad:.

But I heard universities will use my AS grade during the admission process. This sucks because I'm planning to apply for LSE(AAB) and
University of Nottingham (AAA). Do you think that I even stand a chance with such rubbish AS grades?
joeahuja
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
you don't have to put yur AS grades on your UCAS aplication if you don't want to....I didn't........but just ask yourself, do u seriously think you can achieve these grades...if the answer is yes, go for it.....but if you kid yourself your only gonna hurt yourself in the end!!
starts in A - ends in A
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
their final decisions depend on your final Grades, thats when you will find out which uni will accept you and dw i dint get very good grades for AS either jus work hard this year you should be fine
Murray Hewitt
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can either go all out for it and risk it not coming off or you can play it safe with some less prestigious uni's or whatever. Or you could mix it up and apply to a couple of good ones and a few back ups.

Depends how confident you are that you can achieve the grades you need.
kha-jay
(Original post by joeahuja)
you don't have to put yur AS grades on your UCAS aplication if you don't want to....I didn't........but just ask yourself, do u seriously think you can achieve these grades...if the answer is yes, go for it.....but if you kid yourself your only gonna hurt yourself in the end!!
I really know I can do it! But I'm really confused. If I dont put up my AS grades what will they base their decision on? Just my personal statement?
9MmBulletz
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
get the B up to an A, get the C up to a B/A. And ask your teachers to give you better predictions.
Rucklo
Badges: 13
Report 9 years ago
Might as welll go for it, if you don't get offers. Get the grades, take a gap year and travel or whatever you would like to do.
ArchedEdge
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I doubt LSE is still in your reach, but if your predictions are all great and your references are amazing then you've still got a chance at a good decent unis
Rosamund123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
they base it on your GCSE grades and your A2 predicted grades.

your school will probably say that they don't certificate AS exams, and that's why they don't show the AS grades on your application
hawflo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by kha-jay)
For my As I got
RS (ethics and philosophy)-A
Psychology-B
Biology-C
English Lang&Lit-D ( oh dear!)
So that is ABCD
Sice I'm planning to do International Realtions, I dropped Biology as it seemed the least relevent subject. Plus I hated it.

I know that I could have done much better last year and I am capable to get at least ABB/AAB at the end of my A2s. I'm retaking one of my psychology modules, as I wasn't very far off from an A and retaking my English cw. I did really well in my biology exams as I got B in both modules but my [bold] practical asignment earned me an E dropping my grade all the way to a C :mad:. [/bold]

But I heard universities will use my AS grade during the admission process. This sucks because I'm planning to apply for LSE(AAB) and
University of Nottingham (AAA). Do you think that I even stand a chance with such rubbish AS grades?
I got A's in both my chemistry and biology exams but the U's i received for my ISa's pushed my grades down to a B in chemistry and a C in biology. Just retake the ISA exams and work as hard as you can this year, you can do it!!!!!
Joy Division
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It will be a lot of hard work getting a D up to a B so you really have to study and revise for exams this time.

If you don't put your AS grades on they will go by your grade predictions but those will be influenced somewhat by your AS grades. But even then a lot of top candidates will have UMS marks in their references which will give them an advantage over non transparent candidates like you.
I Have No Imagination
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't give up. It's worth a shot. :yy:
maxfire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Who DOESN'T want to go to top unis?
Retake if you're SURE you can do it, and the extra work won't affect your overall grade.
But you can always settle for less...
kha-jay
(Original post by maxfire)
Who DOESN'T want to go to top unis?
Retake if you're SURE you can do it, and the extra work won't affect your overall grade.
But you can always settle for less...
Agh...settling for less. I can do it! I think I'll repeat that to the mirror. Probably help boost my confidence..wish it could do the same for my grades.

But thank you guys for your advice. Much appreciated! I'll take it all into account
FZka
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:s
kha-jay
(Original post by FZka)
:s

????
Neofytos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
kha-jay U CAN DO IT !!!!
MAKE US PROUD !
yehbabyyeh
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am not even sure LSE will accept your combination of subjects, they seem a little soft?
SouthernFreerider
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
lots of people get into "AAA/AAB" unis with AS grades like you.

an awful lot in fact.

but then again, an awful lot of that subset fail to meet any of their offers (since most people of these people overestimate their insurance).

just be realistic and ask yourself why you think you underperformed at AS
maxfire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
^ Yeah, was gunna say, you're subjects aren't exactly what a competitive Uni like LSE would go for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEAโ€ฆ Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (571)
37.71%
No - but I will (119)
7.86%
No - I don't want to (109)
7.2%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (715)
47.23%

Watched Threads