Poll shows that electorate is overwhelmingly in favour of cutting public spending Watch

usainlightning
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6832427.eceIs the electorate finally fed up of the vast stealth tax increases under labour?
Has the electorate moved further to the right since 2005?
Discuss
Aphotic Cosmos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The fact is that all three main parties and the electorate favour cuts at the moment for the same reason - to maintain or increase current spending levels would destroy the treasury and our credit rating.

It doesn't signal any sudden support for the right wing. They could vote for any party and the base level of cuts would be guaranteed out of necessity to balance the books.
usainlightning
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Come on this is an interesting debate
ForeverIsMyName
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Undoubtedly they are in favour of cutting taxes, maintaining the quality of public services and decreasing the deficit. People don't understand that these things are contradictions.
Entangled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
They could vote for any party and the base level of cuts would be guaranteed out of necessity to balance the books.
Only some, however, would own up to this fact immediately, it must be said. We'd have to accept the cuts as trying to salvage sensible financing, but at the same time, I'd personally want to vote for transparency.
Bagration
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
Undoubtedly they are in favour of cutting taxes, maintaining the quality of public services and decreasing the deficit. People don't understand that these things are contradictions.
Quality is not directly related to spending. As they said, the Americans spent $1mn trying to make a pen that could be used in space, the Russians just used a pencil...
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bagration)
Quality is not directly related to spending. As they said, the Americans spent $1mn trying to make a pen that could be used in space, the Russians just used a pencil...
To be fair, it is quite an awesome pen. I have one.

:awesome:
Bagration
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
To be fair, it is quite an awesome pen. I have one.

:awesome:
The million dollar pen :holmes:
JW92
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
I think this has hit the nail on the head.

We all want good public services and low taxes. :rolleyes:
spex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
And now i realise that democracy doesn't work.
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by spex)
And now i realise that democracy doesn't work.
Democracy is flawed, as is every political system.

Doesn't mean we should give it up.
DaveSteed24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by usainlightning)
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6832427.eceIs the electorate finally fed up of the vast stealth tax increases under labour?
Has the electorate moved further to the right since 2005?
Discuss
the electorate nowadays seems to just be in favour of the exact opposite of whatever Gordon Brown does - he could offer everyone in the country a free Greggs iced doughnut and the majority would go 'crawling, brown-nosing git'
Batteries Not Included
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Many households have to cut their costs, so why shouldn't the government? I'm sure that's the mentality of most of the electorate.
46Bit
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Bagration)
That isn't actually true you know... http://www.thespacereview.com/article/613/1
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (385)
37.23%
No - but I will (80)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (72)
6.96%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (497)
48.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise