'Bloodgate' doctor is suspended Watch

Blatant Troll
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
BBC News / Health / 'Bloodgate' doctor is suspended

I was in two minds whether to post this in Gen Discussion (and possibly get more replies), but thought we'd get more interesting posts here.

Did it warrant a suspension? Were the GMC right to intervene in what is, after all, predominantly a sporting matter - or was it for Harlequins to take disciplinary action? What was it specifically that compelled the GMC to take action in the first instance?

Personally, I initially thought a suspension was harsh, but on top of the potential moral implications she was implicit in actually cutting the guy as well. Justified methinks :yep:
Phalanges
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I can understand why she'd do it, but then it does bring the profession into disrepute, so a suspension is probably right (if, indeed, it is for this).

I wouldn't like to be put in such a position if it was a team I supported a lot.
ShinyShiny
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If she is liable to give false medical evidence for money then it degrades her medical integrity and puts into question what else she might do. for cash.
crazy_smurf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
I can understand why she'd do it, but then it does bring the profession into disrepute, so a suspension is probably right (if, indeed, it is for this).

I wouldn't like to be put in such a position if it was a team I supported a lot.
You'd jeapordise your career for a rugby match?
Onychophagia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In my oppinion it's clearly right to suspend her, anything more might be harsh.
The GMC has a duty to protect the intersets of the public and if a doctor is going to do somthing like this, which is clearly of no benefit to the players health, they obviously have to investigate.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by crazy_smurf)
You'd jeapordise your career for a rugby match?
No, I just said I wouldn't like to be put in such a position that I'd be forced to consider it, especially not by a team I had looked up to and supported since I was a child (I'm not saying this is the case with her).

I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't feel good about not doing it.
Dr. Hannibal Lecter
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
definitely warrants it
(in a short snappy way, without any balanced arguement, interview panel would wana reject me way )
EmersonDrain
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
What happened does raise doubts about the lengths she'd go to to cover up a situation and casts doubt on her professional integrity. I don't think the GMC had any choice but to get involved.

The suspension she has been given is an interim suspension which means that she is supsended from the medical register while she is being investigated. It's supposed to be a neutral act and mean that it hasn't made any finding against the doctor. Inevitably though, suspending someone while you investigate indicates that the situation is considered to be serious.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
it might not even be about the rugby incident.

so what if it comes out she was suspended for playing the lying down game?
Consilio Et Animis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why do they add -gate at the end of all scandals??
ShinyShiny
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Consilio Et Animis)
Because of Watergate with Nixon, the press just appropriated the suffix.
crazy_smurf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
No, I just said I wouldn't like to be put in such a position that I'd be forced to consider it, especially not by a team I had looked up to and supported since I was a child (I'm not saying this is the case with her).

I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't feel good about not doing it.
:thumbsup: fair point
Onychophagia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It refers to the Watergate scandal.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ShinyShiny)
When there was flooding in my village, the local paper called it Floodgate. :teeth:

(Original post by crazy_smurf)
:thumbsup: fair point
:top2:
Consilio Et Animis
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by ShinyShiny)
Oh, ok. Thanks. Didn't know. That was ages ago tho, really should think of something else now.
Blátönn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think it's an overreaction - it's just an harmless cut, performed at the behest of the patient. It's not exactly moral, but it's no great medical concern.
ShinyShiny
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Oh, ok. Thanks. Didn't know. That was ages ago tho, really should think of something else now.
Well its easier to put gate after the general name. "Big scandal involving blood" is clumsier than Bloodgate
eulerwaswrong
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
on what grounds - she wasnt exactly negligent and she was doing what the person asked. It isnt exactly publically funded healthcare was it.

She was acting as a private agent - and emplyee of an organisation, the organisation asks her to do something, everybody involved agrees with it, its not against anyones will, and the act she performed wasnt illegal.

Im not going to deny what she did was morally wrong- but i dont see why they can suspend her - she did nothing wrong in terms of her ability to be a doctor
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah! Bloody history, always being used as inspiration...
Onychophagia
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Blátönn)
I think it's an overreaction - it's just an harmless cut, performed at the behest of the patient. It's not exactly moral, but it's no great medical concern.
That may be, but the point is; how far would she go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.87%
No - but I will (98)
7.72%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.93%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (603)
47.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise