A degree in a non-related subject Watch

vn2009
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello

I was wondering if anyone knew whether it is possible to do a degree in an area related to business management for example, and then do a PGCE in Maths at a later date? Or would taking a degree in business prevent me from becoming a maths teacher?

Thanks for any help
vinylate
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
At least 50% of your degree choice must be in the subject you want to teach at secondary level
Mr M
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hannah's response is quite commonly stated but is not necessarily correct. One of my best friends in teaching did a Business Studies degree and got onto a PGCE in Secondary Mathematics without difficulty despite not even having A Level Mathematics (he did have A Level Statistics).

Some institutions might prefer you to take an MEC (Mathematics Enhancement Course) before the PGCE but you would probably be OK without. We are desperate for new mathematics teachers.
emma t
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
hey i was also confused whether my degree was appropriate but after many mixed answers on tsr ive found the best thing to do is contact the uni you are interested in directly and ask, as different unis require different things
timetokill
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As with the reply given by Mr M, its often stated that you need 50%, but thats not always true.

I am currently studying Psychology at degree level and do not hav A-level maths, but after contacting a number of institutes, many stated that they would consider my application on the basis of successful completion of an enhancement course.
lauh88
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As maths is a shortage subject atm I'd say most unis would consider someone with a bit less maths than usual, best to contact them as other people have said though. You could always do a 2 year course, with the first year being a maths subject knowledge enhancement year (with a bursary and no tuition fees!)
Mr M
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be honest, there are plenty of schools that would employ a Business and Management graduate to teach maths without you even needing to take a PGCE. You would eventually need to attain QTS however.
vn2009
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Okay. Thanks for all your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads