The Student Room Group

Who buys stuff from and donates stuff to charity shops?

Poll

Do you buy and/or donate to charity shops?

Do you buy stuff from charity shops? What sort of stuff do you go for?

Do you donate stuff to charity shops?

I used to buy lots of stuff when I was in Brighton as the alternative culture down there is very pro rethink, reuse, recycle, and the quality of clothes, music and books donated was good.

These days, I tend to get books from there (such as Oxfam or Amnesty). Whenever I have a wardrobe clearout the bags tend to go to charity shops rather than the bin.

What say you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I donate stuff to charities...especially if we're moving house but that happens like once every 5 years or something stupid like that!

But yeah clothes which are too small for me go to Oxfam...better than binning them I guess.
Reply 2
I buy books from charity shops.

Any old clothes and shoes that are in good condition are donated when I don't want them anymore. In fact, I've donated a huge bag of clothes and shoes ( :frown: ) because I'm leaving for uni and everything needs to go.
I give things to charity shops, but rarely get anything from there.

I know its a horrible stereotype but the ones around where I live are all just a bit dingy and smell like old people/wee, and ive never really seen anything good in there so ive stopped bothering even trying. Although I saw a gorgeous silk dress in the window of one before, it was cheap too, but it was a size 14. I couldnt be bothered with the hassle of alterations etc.

Ive bought stuff from them in the past, but not much. Got a couple of books.
I buy tonnes of books from Oxfam and loads of clothes from charity shops. I donate all my stuff to Oxfam or the BHF (I used to volunteer in one of their shops)
yeah i always pop into charity shops, its a bit touch and go because sometimes theres nothing in and sometimes you can find really nice stuff, but its always worth the look.
I unfortunately don't do either particularly often, but I had a wardrobe clearance recently, so I shall be taking them all to the local charity shops next time I go into town.
Reply 7
I don't buy from or donate to charity shops. I buy everything brand new, and when giving things away use Freegle.
people on 10 years younger.
Moi. I buy some things from charity shops and donate everything, save things that should be thrown away.
Reply 10
Donate clothes, buy books. Generally.
I buy books mostly. Sometimes I buy DVDs too. I actually volunteer in one now; it's awesome. I'd recommend it to anyone. :biggrin:
Reply 12
donate clothes and the odd c.d.

I buy lots of clothes from oxfam originals. got a see by chloe cardigan from there a week or so ago.
i buy lots from charity shops, i love them..if you know how to look you can find great stuff.
Reply 14
i donate everything that its in good condition, buy heaps of books. occasionaly i buy videos in there too and convert them to DVD. or i sometimes just buy the dvds, but thats kinda not as fun as having a video! i got 4 disney videos for £1 not too long ago. :biggrin: that was a happy day.
Reply 15
Prince Rhyus
Do you buy stuff from charity shops? What sort of stuff do you go for?

Do you donate stuff to charity shops?

I used to buy lots of stuff when I was in Brighton as the alternative culture down there is very pro rethink, reuse, recycle, and the quality of clothes, music and books donated was good.

These days, I tend to get books from there (such as Oxfam or Amnesty). Whenever I have a wardrobe clearout the bags tend to go to charity shops rather than the bin.

What say you?

I donate my TIME to a charity shop. Does that count? I also buy books from the Oxfam bookshop where I volunteer :smile:
Reply 16
Have done both, but I'm too disorganised to donate regularly and too impatient to shop regularly.
Reply 17
for people who volunteer, do you have regular jobs too?? i really want to volunteer but i can't afford to not have any income. do you have to do a set amount of hours orrr? i guess i should just ask in some places really. :/
I buy stuff from charity shops (DVDs, handbags, homeware etc) and donate to charity whatever I have at home that won't sell on ebay :cool:
Reply 19
I buy, and have bought the majority of my books from charity shops. It is surprising how cheap they can be. Not to mention the odd rare find. But, no i don't directly donate to charity. I give enough to the poor through my taxes and NI. :colonhash:

Latest

Trending

Trending