Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In the nxt/2 yrs exam boards are splitting the existing p1, p2 and p3 into 4 seperate modules - which will be called p1, p2, p3, p4 and so this means in effect people in the future will be doing 1 less module in A - level maths as the 6 module structure will still stand where by p1-4 is compulsary. Personally i'm annoyed as we are the last year to the the 'harder' A - level and that the contents of p1-3 will be split into 4 modules which in my opinion makes it easier to learn. My maths teacher just says u have to say 'when' u took the A-level and state u did it when it was harder. What do u think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alweb)
    In the nxt/2 yrs exam boards are splitting the existing p1, p2 and p3 into 4 seperate modules - which will be called p1, p2, p3, p4 and so this means in effect people in the future will be doing 1 less module in A - level maths as the 6 module structure will still stand where by p1-4 is compulsary. Personally i'm annoyed as we are the last year to the the 'harder' A - level and that the contents of p1-3 will be split into 4 modules which in my opinion makes it easier to learn. My maths teacher just says u have to say 'when' u took the A-level and state u did it when it was harder. What do u think?
    don't be annoyed, be grateful. you will have more experience than those younger than thou.

Your a-level is worth more.

EDIT: spelling .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    You're a-level is worth more.
    Your.

(Original post by Nylex)
    Your.
    Damn. I don't usually do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alweb)
    Hard luck. I was the last year group that was allowed to use boooks in the english exams, which was so useful in doing quotes. But the year before me was the last year to use files for doing foreign languages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alweb)
    I think it is a bloody outrage...

just because so many people drop out of maths doesn't mean you should make it easier

That means that people will get an a-level for the equivalent of 5 modules rather than 6

ReputationRep:
    yes i do agree

currently i am doing Mathematics at AS Level.

It is exam board AQA, Mathematics Pure and Statistics

this year i do P1, P2, S1

What modules will i do next year? i ehard somethin that i wont do P3, coz thats part of the further maths AS Pure module.

i originally thought, P3, P4, S2 nxt eyar, but now i am thinkin it isnt.

some info appreciated, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, this isn't really much to do with the original post, but does anyone know what will happen if I sit 7 modules? I took P1 S1 M1 last year (OCR), but due to a really weird situation at school (v. long story) I'm studying P2 P3 S2 M2 this year. Is it possible to sit all 7? Someone told me if I did, the best mark from S2 and M2 will count. Is that true? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ehhh?

1 full a-level and an extra module?

well, wouldnt u just get a full a-level and a module?

i.e.) 1 full a-level in maths, and another certificate saying you got a so and so in a particular module?

i dunno. beats me

why dont u just drop one of the modules then?

then u get a normal a-level.

i dont understand

drop a stats or emchanics module and do 6 like evry1 else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    I think it is a bloody outrage...

just because so many people drop out of maths doesn't mean you should make it easier

That means that people will get an a-level for the equivalent of 5 modules rather than 6
    Being in the same boat, I know how you feel, but the UK is desperately short of maths teachers. Besides, many maths applicants are offered alternative jobs which are a better offer (higher salary, better prospects for promotion...etc). The ones who do do AS level maths are sometimes detered by the step up from GCSE.

But anyway, as elpaw said, you'll have a larger knowledge of maths than future students. Also, aren't AQA ditching the "Methods" module? Surely that will slightly increase the topics having to be covered in each of the modules?

ReputationRep:
    Maths is a killer A-Level! I need a B to get into Bristol as well! I find P3 incredibly hard, anyone got and tips on how they dealt with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemovitch)
    Maths is a killer A-Level! I need a B to get into Bristol as well! I find P3 incredibly hard, anyone got and tips on how they dealt with it?

Maths is bloody hard, i need a B in it for As but god knows if that'll happen stats was bad at the beginning cos we started with the hard stuff but its k now, Decision and discrete, is solid, others find it soo easy. Pure i absolutely love, doin pure 1 at the moment, does it get harder later on?

ReputationRep:
    P1 is a walkover, P2's not too bad either, but P3 is making me tear my hair out at the moment, i'm gonna retake all of my AS units to try and boost my grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemovitch)
    P1 is a walkover, P2's not too bad either, but P3 is making me tear my hair out at the moment, i'm gonna retake all of my AS units to try and boost my grade.
    I found P1 the hardest (stupid summation signs!), then I guess I got better. P2 and 3 were easier. Now I'm doing a maths bit at university and I deeply regret not taking (or being able to take) further maths - it would've helped enormously.
    I don't think splitting modules will really make a difference - as long as P1-4 are compulsory. AQA B already has 7 pure modules and is arranged ridiculously. People who have done that don't appear to be disadvantaged in any way.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Be thankful you didn't have to take last year's P3 exam...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    Be thankful you didn't have to take last year's P3 exam...
    I did. It wasn't as hard as everyone says (in hindsight)!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    I did. It wasn't as hard as everyone says (in hindsight)!

Ben
    Are you kidding? As far as P3 goes it was very hard, no easy questions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    Are you kidding? As far as P3 goes it was very hard, no easy questions...
    Oh yes there were! The differential equation was MUCH easier than normal - so much so that it foxed everyone! The last question was just pure algebra crunching - no real maths (unlike in previous years - the last questions are usually much harder). The only question which was a bit harder than normal was the first (as far as first questions go). The vectors one was also easy - if you could remember your GCSE ABsin(c)!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    i think the alevel i took this year was pitched at about the right difficulty. i dont think they need to change it, really.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 7, 2003
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.