Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Oh yes there were! The differential equation was MUCH easier than normal - so much so that it foxed everyone! The last question was just pure algebra crunching - no real maths (unlike in previous years - the last questions are usually much harder). The only question which was a bit harder than normal was the first (as far as first questions go). The vectors one was also easy - if you could remember your GCSE ABsin(c)!

Ben
    But all the number crunching took valuable time... And there was an even easier way to do the vectors one i think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    But all the number crunching took valuable time... And there was an even easier way to do the vectors one i think...
    Well - you could've done a vector product, I suppose. That's easier - but not P3! They replaced 'thinking time' with 'doing time' - so what!?!Time is never really a big issue for me in the maths exams, especially in the P2 - my God, they let their standards slip for that one!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemovitch)
    Maths is a killer A-Level! I need a B to get into Bristol as well! I find P3 incredibly hard, anyone got and tips on how they dealt with it?
    I failed it (borderline D/E - after the retake...), and just did better in my other modules.

Possibly that's not what you were looking for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Well - you could've done a vector product, I suppose. That's easier - but not P3! They replaced 'thinking time' with 'doing time' - so what!?!Time is never really a big issue for me in the maths exams, especially in the P2 - my God, they let their standards slip for that one!

Ben
    I still think it was very difficult for the time given and I know nearly everyone in my school struggled with it. Yeah, the P2 was fairly easy

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the methods were all that hard, it was just the paper writers tended to cloud the issue with lots of square roots, etc. in unfamiliar places. Thus if you were confident to begin with it was pretty doable, however if you weren't I can see how you might have been put off.

ReputationRep:
    I have found P3 ok, but I haven't done the exam yet lol.

But, what if maths is just a hard subject? I don't think they should make it easier, that is blatantly 'dumbing down' the subject.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 7, 2003

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.