Undergraduate ABS students Watch

tomtom:)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello, incase you didn't know or haven't yet checked your uni email account, we have a maths diagnostics test to be completed by the 29th.

Also if you check MAP you can not only see your freshers (day) timetable but on your modules it tells you what tutorial groups you're in (For financial accounting anyways). I'm in 9 :woo:
Smtn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
make that ABS undergrad freshers I'd cry if I had to go through first year BAM maths again!
FM08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how do we get to map again? is it always through the aston site?
Gamer99
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just checked and the email was in the junk mail folder, but I can't mark it as a safe sender. Very nice.

I'm in group 8 for financial accounting. Will have to do the test tomorrow or sometime.
Rep:
?
OH god, expand a little, tedious or hard?

And i just use www.aston.ac.uk/map
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gamer99)
Just checked and the email was in the junk mail folder, but I can't mark it as a safe sender. Very nice.

I'm in group 8 for financial accounting. Will have to do the test tomorrow or sometime.
Was going to mention that but most people won't have received anything in there inbox anyways and would therefore notice it.

Wonder how they structure the groups? Your last name stars with M right? Mines W lol
Smtn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
A word of warning - don't try to give yourself any illegal help with this. It's a test to make sure you get all the maths extra help you might need, I needed a lot of it
Gamer99
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by tomtom:))
Wonder how they structure the groups? Your last name stars with M right? Mines W lol
That's exactly what I was thinking but there's a big difference between the letters M and W, unless there's a conspiracy going on, so I think you can throw that method out the window.
FM08
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i'm 4
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smtn)
A word of warning - don't try to give yourself any illegal help with this. It's a test to make sure you get all the maths extra help you might need, I needed a lot of it
I figured that one out this time last year :o: (I got excited about uni lol)

But yeah, I'll probably get no questions right. Will be needing the additional tutorials! Extra help = more for your money and of course a better placement
Gamer99
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I figured that one out this time last year :o: (I got excited about uni lol)

But yeah, I'll probably get no questions right. Will be needing the additional tutorials! Extra help = more for your money and of course a better placement
Even the title scares me...

Quanatitititantiaittitititititiv e Techniques.
Smtn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Quantitative is a fairly common word !
Rep:
?
That's exactly what I was thinking but there's a big difference between the letters M and W, unless there's a conspiracy going on, so I think you can throw that method out the window.
Conspiracy indeed!

I reckon it's all completely random! Or (doubt Aston would put this much into it) they could base it on whether someone has studied any form of accounts prior. I.e. I took OCR Business and one of my modules was Further Accounting and Finance, if anyone gets my drift?

I'm curios now, lets find out how many groups there are, to be shortly dissapointed that there are 30+ people in our tutorials, making them everso personal
Gamer99
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I reckon the groups are just based on the course, BAM always seems to be the last (look at the induction week timetable on enrolment bit) so maybe they carried that through.
Smtn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Nothing in your first year will be 'personal'. Tutorials kinda reminded me of a-level classes. Once you get into the second year, you begin to get to know your classmates/lecturers better because you're on the same streams. Groups in ABS are selected at random. When it involves assessments, they deliberately form ethnically diverse groups
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smtn)
Nothing in your first year will be 'personal'. Tutorials kinda reminded me of a-level classes. Once you get into the second year, you begin to get to know your classmates/lecturers better because you're on the same streams. Groups in ABS are selected at random. When it involves assessments, they deliberately form ethnically diverse groups
Another question. I know it's the common firs tyear, but would BAM and AFM for instance share lectures, or do BAM have there own etc? If you follow. I imagine they wouldn't mix up the courses, so I'd always be with the BAMers :rolleyes:

I've heard that alot of people got a first on the QT module this year.
Smtn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Another question. I know it's the common firs tyear, but would BAM and AFM for instance share lectures, or do BAM have there own etc? If you follow. I imagine they wouldn't mix up the courses, so I'd always be with the BAMers :rolleyes:

I've heard that alot of people got a first on the QT module this year.
QT will be easy for people who did A-level maths, on the other hand it can be very tricky for those that only achieved e.g B at GCSE. All business disciplines share the same lectures in the first year, and also the combined hons business students. You'll find they split the year into two and 'switch over' modules at Christmas. Even though the year is split in two, there will still will be two lectures for some modules; meaning if you ask around, you can go to the other one if the time suits you better
Gamer99
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Smtn)
QT will be easy for people who did A-level maths, on the other hand it can be very tricky for those that only achieved e.g B at GCSE. All business disciplines share the same lectures in the first year, and also the combined hons business students. You'll find they split the year into two and 'switch over' modules at Christmas. Even though the year is split in two, there will still will be two lectures for some modules; meaning if you ask around, you can go to the other one if the time suits you better
Nooooooooooooooooooooo.
Rep:
?
Nooooooooooooooooooooo.
Looks like we're in the same boat! I better start reading my ABS QT/BDA book then
Gamer99
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Looks like we're in the same boat! I better start reading my ABS QT/BDA book then
You have books? I know they sent us a list of things to read if we wanted to before we came but nothing since?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
38.82%
No - but I will (46)
6.76%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.5%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (319)
46.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed