Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Now that the 'rod' has been out in most of the western world for some years now, I just thought it was time to find out just how successful, or unsuccessful it has been. Does anyone have an opinion on this one. Lads: not having to wear protection all the time... Did it make a difference. Ladies: Was there still that element of doubt? Did it hurt as much as people say?

ReputationRep:
    what?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, does this mean that it hasn't made it to the UK yet? Its a metal rod about the size of a pen lid, and gets implanted in a womans upper arm. Tells the body that its already pregnant, and thus provides an effective form of contraception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Hmm, does this mean that it hasn't made it to the UK yet? Its a metal rod about the size of a pen lid, and gets implanted in a womans upper arm. Tells the body that its already pregnant, and thus provides an effective form of contraception.
    I am in America and I havent heard of this thing. I have seen a more complicated version though. It was called a Norplant.

A Norplant consists of six silicone rubber capsules about the size of matchsticks that contain a synthetic progestin hormone long used in birth control pills. The flexible tubes are inserted in a fan-like arrangement and can be felt but not easily seen.

However when you look directly at women's the inner arm (near the bicep), the Norplant looks like a spiderweb of veins or something. It looks a little freakish. The woman I knew that had it though, was fairly thin. Maybe it is less obvious on larger women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwteal)
    I am in America and I havent heard of this thing. I have seen a more complicated version though. It was called a Norplant.

A Norplant consists of six silicone rubber capsules about the size of matchsticks that contain a synthetic progestin hormone long used in birth control pills. The flexible tubes are inserted in a fan-like arrangement and can be felt but not easily seen.

However when you look directly at women's the inner arm (near the bicep), the Norplant looks like a spiderweb of veins or something. It looks a little freakish. The woman I knew that had it though, was fairly thin. Maybe it is less obvious on larger women.

Urrrgh...

ReputationRep:
    That sounds horrible. However, if it works...!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwteal)

Hmm... certainly sounds complicated. Does sound as though it does the same thing though. I was told that this 'rod' had been trialled in America for 6 years before anyone here in Australia would be allowed to touch it. So now we have women left right and centre being 'rodded'. This is intriguing though. It does seem to be very effective, and for only $80 Australian (aboud $45yank or 30pounds pom style) rather cost effective. It has to be taken out after three years, and requires an x-ray to properly locate the thing. Yet I'm really curious now. Just what are the alternative forms of contraception available to women in other countries? Obviously there is the not so trusty rubber, and the pill, but what else???

ReputationRep:
    never heard of ANYTHING like this - sounds damn complicated to me, and wouldn't do anything to stop STI's anyway, so probs best to keep the conoms handy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    Now that the 'rod' has been out in most of the western world for some years now, I just thought it was time to find out just how successful, or unsuccessful it has been. Does anyone have an opinion on this one. Lads: not having to wear protection all the time... Did it make a difference. Ladies: Was there still that element of doubt? Did it hurt as much as people say?
    should only b used when in a long term secure relationship....ie when married, and dont want kids yet.

doctors here wont give it to most random people as it doesnt protect against std's....which are much more serious than pregnancy.

GET IT INTO YOUR HEADS PEOPLE, CHILDREN HAVE PLUS AS WELL AS NEGATIVE SIDES, STD'S ARE JUST NASTY.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i've heard of that...

that is all

(Original post by Sire)
    Hmm... certainly sounds complicated. Does sound as though it does the same thing though. I was told that this 'rod' had been trialled in America for 6 years before anyone here in Australia would be allowed to touch it. So now we have women left right and centre being 'rodded'. This is intriguing though. It does seem to be very effective, and for only $80 Australian (aboud $45yank or 30pounds pom style) rather cost effective. It has to be taken out after three years, and requires an x-ray to properly locate the thing. Yet I'm really curious now. Just what are the alternative forms of contraception available to women in other countries? Obviously there is the not so trusty rubber, and the pill, but what else???
    This rod sounds a lot like the Norplants, but as with the norplant there can be problems. For example the rod can be dislodged and migrate in the body, sometimes ending up in very bizare, or worse, nasty areas. Then theres the fact that maintaining high levels of hormones for so long is very bad for the body (even on the pill you should take 'breaks' every few months) and reiterating the STD point, you have to remember that when you aren't on any other contraception that you are automatically protecting yourself by using condoms.
    And to be honest, its women who suffer STDs more than men anyway...
    J

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.