need some advice regarding final year... Watch

friendlyguy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,

I am in a bit of a situation at the moment and would appreciate some advice from people who can't be influence by knowing me.

Basically, I have worked since I was 16, without taking a gap year in between college and Uni. I will be starting my final year at Uni next week.

The situation I'm in is that at the moment I do not have a job. I have just finished a summer placement with a company, and will be going back to join their grad scheme next Sept provided I get a 2:2. Right now, all my friends are working and some who finished Uni recently have started up their own businesses. I have some money saved up from my summer placement but not much.

The advice I would like is do I:

a) look for a part-time job (been offered 3hrs x 4 weekday evenings)
b) try and start up a small side business, or invest in something.
c) forget about a job or investment and concentrate on final year (looking good at the mo for a 2:1)

thanks in advance for advice,
FG
ma2k5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
c).

I don't see why you need to do b), just seems a headache - and also not the best of times to do it (recession).

a) seems manageable, but then, if you don't need to do it, better not to - just to make sure you get a good degree.
friendlyguy
Rep:
?
(Original post by ma2k5)
c).

I don't see why you need to do b), just seems a headache - and also not the best of times to do it (recession).

a) seems manageable, but then, if you don't need to do it, better not to - just to make sure you get a good degree.
Thanks for your response.

With b), market seems to be recovering so could be ideal to start something small as a hobby which could then be a source of income in a few years time when market is back to normal.

I've been doing a) for the last 6 years, so would be good to have a years break but at the same time seeing everyone else with a job would make me feel like i'm not doing much with my life.
ma2k5
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doing 3 hours 4 times a week isn't exactly doing something great with your life. You worked for years - 1 year off for final year of university is hardly something to knock at.

I would just concentrate on your studies. Starting up a business while in study seems silly - I would wait till after graduation - having started the graduate contract - to see how the workload is, before embarking on a business. Even small businesses, can end up taking more time then you expect.
friendlyguy
Rep:
?
I understand where you're coming from and appreciate your honest perspective.

I guess I will just have to constrain myself in terms of spending, as I wont have a regular income every month as I'm used to.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Just concentrate on getting a 2:1 or better. Believe me, anything less than a 2:1 won't be worth the paper it is printed on soon.
noodles!
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
If your student finance/parents can cover enough for some food and a bit of leisure then you'll do better working on your degree. I suppose a little bit of buying and selling can't hurt (I'm going to try in my final year) but I plan to work hard as I haven't really in my first 2 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.51%
No - but I will (19)
5.67%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.46%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (162)
48.36%

Watched Threads