A2 Biology question - Krebs cycle Watch

Mythical Sunrise
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
In my Biology class, as we were learning about the Krebs cycle, the teacher taught us all that the cycle moves like this:

oxaloacetate -> citrate -> succinate -> alphaketoglutarate -> fumarate -> malate

then rinse and repeat...

However, while revising, a few different sites have shown a Krebs sycle diagram where succinate and alphaketoglutarate are switched around.

Now, I'm confused. Which one is right? :confused:
LadySmythe
Badges: 19
Report 9 years ago
Do you really need to know all the intermediates?

When I did it all we needed to know by name was Oxaloacetate and citrate, how many carbons there were on each one and know that decarboxylation occurs twice between citrate and oxaloacetate. Then the acetyl CoA (2C) joins from link reaction to oxaloacetate to form citrate?

I'd just stick to what your book says tbh, at the end of the day its information from that you will be tested on.
Mythical Sunrise
We were told we needed to know all intermediates.

The names don't confuse me though, it's the number of carbons. Whichever one comes first is always said to have five carbons, and the other one has four. So, now I have no idea whether succinate has five or four carbons in it.
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Mythical Sunrise)
In my Biology class, as we were learning about the Krebs cycle, the teacher taught us all that the cycle moves like this:

oxaloacetate -> citrate -> succinate -> alphaketoglutarate -> fumarate -> malate

then rinse and repeat...

However, while revising, a few different sites have shown a Krebs sycle diagram where succinate and alphaketoglutarate are switched around.

Now, I'm confused. Which one is right? :confused:
α-ketogluarate is first.

(Original post by Loz17)
Do you really need to know all the intermediates?
I doubt it - even we don't.
LadySmythe
Badges: 19
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)

I doubt it - even we don't.
Thats what I thought. I did this module twice as well and nothing like that came up

OP succinate has chemical formula C4H6O4 therefore is after the 5C intermediate.
Mythical Sunrise
Okay, got it now. I think my teacher doesn't know what he's talking about. *sigh*

Thank you for the help.
XFire36
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Wow, you have it bad :eek3: We are doing the OCR course, we just need to know it goes:

oxaloacetate -> citrate -> 5C Compound -> 4C Compound -> 4C Compound -> 4C Compound

You really have it bad :woo:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (557)
37.84%
No - but I will (115)
7.81%
No - I don't want to (103)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (697)
47.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise