Can i get help to get a laptop if im mentaly disbaled? and cant sit class please help Watch

mfitzpatrick
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I suffer from anxiety and social phobia and cant sit in some classes and also on a income of less than £3000, im doin a PT National Certificate in Music Tech and a lot of the work is done in class on computers I need to remove myself from these situations a lot of the time and need to get hold of a mac book. Was speaking too someone in a very similar position who has OCD and said they received a mac book to help them cope. thanks a lot for any help
icedsarcasm
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey, if it's a higher national certificate then you may be eligible for Disabled Students Allowance which could definitely provide a laptop to help you with your studies. Have a look here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...on/DG_10034898 or in the Disabled Students forum.
mfitzpatrick
(Original post by icedsarcasm)
Hey, if it's a higher national certificate then you may be eligible for Disabled Students Allowance which could definitely provide a laptop to help you with your studies. Have a look here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Disabled...on/DG_10034898 or in the Disabled Students forum.
thanks alot read all that it says you either have to be in and higher ed course or a part-time so i think im eligable
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The default help is a desktop. You have to make a very strong case for it to be upped to a laptop. You'll also need loads of medical evidence, assessments etc..
impervious
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by mfitzpatrick)
I suffer from anxiety and social phobia and cant sit in some classes and also on a income of less than £3000, im doin a PT National Certificate in Music Tech and a lot of the work is done in class on computers I need to remove myself from these situations a lot of the time and need to get hold of a mac book. Was speaking too someone in a very similar position who has OCD and said they received a mac book to help them cope. thanks a lot for any help
Why specifically a mac book?
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
You can forget a Mac from DSA!
Teao the Cat
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by impervious)
Why specifically a mac book?
I was curious about this as well, but didn't want to ask incase I was missing something obvious!
impervious
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Teao the Cat)
I was curious about this as well, but didn't want to ask incase I was missing something obvious!
Seems like a bit of an unnecessary expense.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The DSA assesseors are very astute. They will give what people need not what they want!
Theo Townsend
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mac Books - don't see the utility in dealing with disabilities, but they're superior to Windows powered laptops for the course OP is on.
ukmaxi
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think he requires a Mac, due to the fact the software they'll use will be mac based. Logic pro ( a music editing suite) for example is a brilliant piece of software for doing music. However the software itself is expensve (£399). But anyway, for creative courses macs are preferred.
Taiko
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not eligible for DSA, as it's a further education course.
Peejay101
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
The DSA assesseors are very astute. They will give what people need not what they want!

Are they a special brand of civil servant? Like a super servant or something like that?

Most other governmental departments are anything but astute.

Disclaimer - some civil servants are the exception that proves the rule

Paul.
NobodyElseWill
Badges: 2
Report 9 years ago
it's only a further education course if its for school levers, access students etc
mfitzpatrick
I specifically need a mac book as i need to run logic pro 8 and not a desktop as it defeats the purpose of why i need it having social phobia and need to do work in my own space
MissOki
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It may be worth chatting to someone in your Student Support Team, or going to the local Citizens Advice Bureau (they should have a list of grant providing charities).
Taiko
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As mentioned though, you will not get DSA for this. Your course isn't eligible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads