Did your parents help you move into halls? Watch

Jaz8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ok so I move into halls next week and was just wondering whether anyone's parents actually went in there with them?

My parents arent "clingy" parents at all, but want to come up to my room with me, which will be nice, as it'd be good for them to actually see where I'll be living for the next year (they didnt go to the open day with me) and to be honest, I'd love for them to come.

But Im just a bit worried that I'll be the only one whose parents are there & the people I live with might think Im, I dont know, immature?

I know Im probably being stupid, but I'd just like to know what everyone else did/does?
orionmoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I thought it was the norm for parents to come? I mean what are they meant to do, just sit in the car whilst you unload your stuff from the boot and trapse back and forward on your own carrying your stuff, or actually get out and help you move your stuff in?
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Pretty much everybodys parents help them move in, it's just the ones that set up camp beds and stay the week that are weird.
fallen angel9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My parents are coming. I don't think it's unusual.
Renal
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I moved myself in (bit by bit with a bergen load every weekend) but I was most definitely the exception - even most of the mature students I've helped move in have had mum or dad with them.

Although, if it requires two parents, three siblings, at least one grandparent and various aunties and uncles, you're almost certainly indian and they're almost certainly overdoing it.
PirateFlag
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My mum is taking me, it's just going to be a bit embarassing because i know she is going to cry haha.
Dionysus
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Renal)
I moved myself in (bit by bit with a bergen load every weekend) but I was most definitely the exception - even most of the mature students I've helped move in have had mum or dad with them.

Although, if it requires two parents, three siblings, at least one grandparent and various aunties and uncles, you're almost certainly indian and they're almost certainly overdoing it.
haha there was a Chinese guy that lived in halls when I moved in who literally brought his extended family, and I'm talking cousins, second cousins, the works, over on the plane and had them living in his flat for almost a fortnight. There were so many that some were sleeping in the corridor. His flatmates loved him...
PlanetTea
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Don't be daft. If you want your parents there and they want to be there then of course they should come. It's completely normal. Loads of parents will be there. The only reason mine aren't is because they have to work.
rosie9391
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I'm got my mum to help me move in, all the people I've spoken to have got their parent's coming for the first day.
Jaz8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Ah thanks guys!!

Like I said, I know I was being stupid

Thanks again!! :awesome:
Ribbits
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am not at all embarassed of my family and never have been. At A level results day I was the only person at the time with my parents there (they just wanted to come and I didn't mind).
When it comes to moving in next week though, I am feeling apprehensive. I don't entirely know why, but I don't particularly want them to see where I'll be living or for the people I'll be living with to see them. I'm thinking of asking my little sister (14) along just to help me carry things in instead or as well to at least make it faster (although most people would probably consider that even weirder, I feel more comfortable for reasons I can't explain or understand).

(Original post by PirateFlag)
My mum is taking me, it's just going to be a bit embarassing because i know she is going to cry haha.
I didn't even think of that. My mum will definitely break down into tears, and then into a hysterical coughing fit, then perhaps into a fit of thanking the landlord for having me (private accommodation). Hmm...

Still, don't worry about what other people will think. It is normal for parents to be there. Reason and logic say I should feel fine about it too.
EGjeff
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Also look at it from their point of view, you've been around them constantly for 19 odd years now, I imagine it's a pretty big deal for them that your moving away!
eulerwaswrong
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
how else are you going to move in?

Im going to have a car full of **** that needs moving in - im not allowed to take a car - therefore my only other option would be train - and thats not going to happen at all.

And to be honest ive always lived with my parents - im not going to see them for 8 weeks - i think spending a few hours going to lunch with them or something is nothing
DMed
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
The crying mum is a normal thing. The way I did it was I got them to help me move in, then I went home for dinner, and then came back on my own (it's only Warrington to Liverpool), so avoid the crying part.
steelmole
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yep, Fetch and Carry were most helpful.
melhunt
Report 9 years ago
My parents helped me move in at about 1pm and didn't leave til 9pm haha. And then my mum cried, which made me cry. ha. But yeah, I haven't seen anyone move in alone
rhea2425
Report 9 years ago
you've got to have the folks with you. if not, who is going to help you move your things into your room? Also think about the extra cash they might pass your way when they realise how expensive things are on campus (take them to the union shop ) lol

To avoid the crying part just make sure you have another sibling come along with you, that way their attention is a tad diverted or if you can, go home and come back on your own (if that is not a mission in it self)
nikkila
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Dionysus)
Pretty much everybodys parents help them move in, it's just the ones that set up camp beds and stay the week that are weird.
Hahaha. I just read that one to my mum and her response was "I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner."

My whole clan are coming I think They will undoubtedly introduce themselves to every single one of my flat mates in the most atrociously embarassing way, and then my mum will cry. A LOT.

My brother will no doubt find the nearest flat mate with an xbox and stay there for the day.
Laurah5498
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
My mom is helping me and then my dad is picking the sister up from school at lunch time to come and do the rest.

My sister wanted the whole day but I put my foot down and said no so that Mom could get crying out of her system. It was my birthday last saturday and she didn't stop crying that her baby was growing up and leaving her

I'm an hour up the motorway!
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
its normal. my whole family is coming up! (well minus my older bro whos in america atm)
some of my friends parents are staying the night in a hotel... thats a bit weird...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
38.13%
No - but I will (5)
3.13%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.25%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (84)
52.5%

Watched Threads