Math Diagnostic Test for all undergrads? Watch

Kabeer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Just got a induction schedule, and it says we have a 'Math Diagnostic Test' on Thursday, which all new First year undergrads are supposed to sit

Does anybody know what specifically to expect from it? I cannot find anything on the QM website.

Thanks
Ozzy91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got that too! And also on the back it says about engineering applications week.. No idea what that is either.
T.P.D-L
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It shouldn't be anything too hard... just basic maths i would have thought
ChemEng90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I got this as well, and was really shocked lol! Are there any students on here (e.g. second years) who have done this Maths test? What should we expect?
Kevlar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I ain't touched a maths book since july literally forgot everything , and @ozzy i wonder wat that engineering applications week is aswell lol
Topmanfaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Haha, owned.
Darkhadou
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Aw man, just got my letter. Doing Physics and have a Maths Diagnostic Test too ;_; This is gonna kill me. Aint touched a book in over a year now.
Kabeer
Rep:
?
Can any existing students please tell us what to expect?
Thanks
fleur_de_haine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's very easy, I don't know of anyone failing it, including myself and my maths is terrible! It's pretty basic, it's jsut makign sure that your mathematicsis up to scratch enough to deal with the course. I'm not sure about for engineers, but for physics the bar really isn't set that high.
Darkhadou
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
One of my mates who's going into his second year of Mech Eng said his diagnostic test was pretty much C1 or C2 stuff. That much accurate?
fleur_de_haine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Darkhadou)
One of my mates who's going into his second year of Mech Eng said his diagnostic test was pretty much C1 or C2 stuff. That much accurate?
As far as I remember yes (but this was two years ago that I took it so it's a little fuzzy). I wouldn't worry about it too much, if you've done A Level mathematics it'll hardly stretch you. Welcome to Physics by the way.
Kabeer
Rep:
?
Thanks for the answers so far guys. If anyone can remember what kinda questions they were asked that would be great.

Also, do the results actually mean anything? like determine your classes, or anything like that. Basically what is the outcome of the test?

Thanks
fleur_de_haine
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kabeer)
Thanks for the answers so far guys. If anyone can remember what kinda questions they were asked that would be great.

Also, do the results actually mean anything? like determine your classes, or anything like that. Basically what is the outcome of the test?

Thanks
Well, I can't remember the questions. The results just determine wether or not you take supplementary mathematics course(s). For Physicists it's called Introductory Mathematics 1 (and then 2, and so on), I'm not too sure about in engineering.
Arturo Bandini
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Kabeer)

Thanks
The letter states:

Maths and English assessment: These two assessments are designed to help us tailor affective support for any students that may need additional help with either their maths or english language skills. These results do not contribute to your degree programme nor do they affect your admission on to your chosen programme of study.

So it's not a big deal at all. Just chill!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Queen Mary University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (481)
37.84%
No - but I will (98)
7.71%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.92%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (604)
47.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed