What's the difference between an MA, MSc and Mphil? Watch

This discussion is closed.
nakki
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi are any of them more respected than another?

Thanks
chap54
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
MA = Master of the Arts (Humanities, Arts, Languages)

Msc = Master of the Sciences (Science, Mathematics)

MPhil = Master of Philosophy (Research degree... i think)

They are different classifications for different types of courses, so theres no difference in whether some are more respected than others.
Elliray
Report 9 years ago
Pretty much what chap54 said...

An MPhil is a research degree, but it's not often that people will choose to study for one; how it usually works is that people studying for their PhD will theoretically be working for an MPhil for the first year, and if you've made 'satisfactory progress' will then be allowed to go for the PhD. Also, in several unis, if you fail your PhD, they'll give you an MPhil, just so you have something!

For this reason, MPhils can be looked upon suspiciously if that's all you've got, because it might just mean you're a failed doctor! But some unis do offer them in their own right, and in that case it's defineitely as acceptable (or more) that an MA or MSc.

When it comes to a distinction between MAs and MScs, it's hard to say which is more respected, because it depends totally on what you want to do with it; obviously an MA is no use if you're applying for a sciency job, and vice versa!

E x
E x
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Get a Cambridge MA. It is an honorary degree for which no work is required and all Cambridge BAs get it after about 6 years.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/degrees/ma/
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
Get a Cambridge MA. It is an honorary degree for which no work is required and all Cambridge BAs get it after about 6 years.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/degrees/ma/
If you have to try to be funny, at least get your facts right.:rolleyes: A Cambridge MA is not an honorary degree.
Athena
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It gets more confusing when you add in MMaths, MChem, MPhys, MEng, MSt and B.Litt/M.Litt/D.Litt
Long Haired Teen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Athena)
It gets more confusing when you add in MMaths, MChem, MPhys, MEng, MSt and B.Litt/M.Litt/D.Litt
Is there any real difference between an MSci and MPhys? Or are they muhc the same?
c12andn15
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
there is also Mres
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
If you have to try to be funny, at least get your facts right.:rolleyes: A Cambridge MA is not an honorary degree.
so what do you have to do to get one? Pray tell! Or are you just being irritatingly pedantic?
Piricad
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
so what do you have to do to get one? Pray tell! Or are you just being irritatingly pedantic?
You don't have to do any more work other than have your BA, however it is more a case of upgrading your undergraduate degree once you've been a member of the university for long enough, so its like an undergraduate MA.

As for the general question, it is generally that MPhils are research degrees, (it's not true that they are mainly failed DPhil/PhD candidates, many people chose to do a 1 year research degree) and taught degrees are roughly put into Arts or Science categories in the same way as undergraduate degrees. You're very unlikely to get an MA in Chemistry or an MSc in English but in less obvious subjects like Management, Psychology etc it won't really make any difference whether you have an MA or an MSc
hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:rolleyes:
Honorary degrees are degrees which can be awarded to anyone, even people who never attended the university in question - or any other university, for that matter. That isn't true for Cambridge MAs, though, because they're not really separate degrees and are only given to people who have successfully completed an undergraduate course there. The only possible exception might be people who hold senior academic posts but aren't Cambridge graduates themselves, because I *think* you need to have an MA in order to have full voting rights on university-related issues (it definitely works that way at Oxford, and as far as I know it's the same at Cambridge). But those are special cases.
Philboy87
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Can you do a MSc with a BA?
Athena
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
All three year Oxford degrees are BA, so you could quite easily do a MSc afterwards, regardless of what you did your first degree in
Sparkling_Jules
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Long Haired Teen)
Is there any real difference between an MSci and MPhys? Or are they muhc the same?
Big difference.
MPhys, MMath, MChem, MEng and the like are undergraduate masters. Four years instead of the three for a BSc.
MSc is a postgraduate masters. I'm not sure if there are any exceptions but this seems to be the general case.
I have an MMathPhys undergrad degree and will be starting an MSc postgrad course in two weeks.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (380)
37.33%
No - but I will (78)
7.66%
No - I don't want to (71)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (489)
48.04%

Watched Threads