Comp Sci at Bath! Watch

nchada383
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hello my friend recently did his AS results and is highly considering the comp sci and maths degree at bath, he would appreciate it if someone could help him please with just a few questions he wants answers to regarding the course!

firstly

1.) What are his chances of getting an Offer with predicted grades ABB

2.) Is there alot of maths in it?(which he would prefer)!

3.) How is the location like ie bath?

4.) Is it a well regarded degree at the uni

5.) If e graduated, could he do a postgrad in either maths/comp sci ?

6.) Finally is it a very competitive degree to get in and to study?

Grogs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
1) I am now going into my second year of Comp Sci at Bath, so this info is a little out of date; the typical offer when I applied was AAB-ABB.
2) I do the straight CS course, and in the first year, we did one maths module per semester, so it was worth 20% of our grade. I'd guess the with maths course is maybe double that? They don't do the same maths modules afaik. Not sure how it changes in the later years, where you modules like computer graphics, which need maths, but isn't strictly a maths module. Read the description of the course on the uni's website, or maybe email CS admissions for more info.
3) Bath is very nice place,has lots of small shops, a Morrisons and Sainsburys (no Tescos), it's a small city. It has a few clubs (like 4 or 5), few enough to get bored of after a while I guess. It's a touristy place with lots of history, so there's going to be museums etc. It's a nice small, but small for a city, and quite far from the uni campus (you'll have to get a bus once you live in town after the first year - the bus service is good though, runs regularly).
4) Bath is definitely well regarded, easy a top 20 uni both for Comp Sci and generally, trying to be top 10 I guess. In terms of employability though, the placement scheme helps a lot.
5) No idea, I would assume so, probably another thing worth emailing CS admissions or someone about.
6) Not super competitive compared to others, you'll probably need to meet your offer though.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Grogs)
3) Bath is very nice place,has lots of small shops, a Morrisons and Sainsburys (no Tescos), it's a small city.
i swear i saw a tesco in bath? it was at the very bottom of the hill on the way up to the campus.
jtanz0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
i swear i saw a tesco in bath? it was at the very bottom of the hill on the way up to the campus.
yeah there are a couple about but they are expresses and therefore expensive especially the one at the bottom of the hill as that is just about one of the most expensive areas in Bath to live so the jack up the prices a bit
lm_wfc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
It's like korean meatballs.

The dogs bollox.
cpearson
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
With regards to CS w/ Maths.
First year you only do one CS module, that being Programming, but it is a hefty module. The rest of the modules are Maths.
Second year it lightens up a bit, think you do Graphics and Foundations of Computation as well as Programming so it becomes a 50/50 split.
Final year you choose modules so that's up to him
A low down of the CS w/Maths modules can be found here :
http://www.bath.ac.uk/comp-sci/under...ths/index.html

Think the others answered your questions. CS at Bath is good though, hard work, but good!
jtanz0
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by cpearson)
With regards to CS w/ Maths.
First year you only do one CS module, that being Programming, but it is a hefty module. The rest of the modules are Maths.
Second year it lightens up a bit, think you do Graphics and Foundations of Computation as well as Programming so it becomes a 50/50 split.
Final year you choose modules so that's up to him
A low down of the CS w/Maths modules can be found here :
http://www.bath.ac.uk/comp-sci/under...ths/index.html

Think the others answered your questions. CS at Bath is good though, hard work, but good!

graphics and foundations of computation are both very maths based so it's not that much of a lightening up
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open day Postgraduate
    Wed, 12 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Engineering & Design, Humanities & Social Sciences, Management, Science Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (122)
39.74%
No - but I will (16)
5.21%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.51%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.53%

Watched Threads