Manchester gyms Watch

teriaki
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am looking for a good gym in Manchester. I am going to be living near Victoria Park so I'd like the gym to either be close to that or somewhere that I can go by bus from there so lets say between Victoria Park and Arndale, roughly. The closer the better of course.

I went to the Armitage center last year which was a huge mistake since that place was nothing short of a joke. I tried Fitness First as well but that had no squat rack. I took a look at the Aquatics center gym which also sucked and I was warned not to go to the Sugden center by a friend who trained there since it was supposed to be hopelessly crowded.

So aside from those, what other decent (by this I mean plentiful freeweights) gyms are there in the locations I described?

How is Bannatyne's? Does it have a good freeweights section and how much are student memberships?
Same for GL-14- how are the free weights and how much do you pay as a student?
And are there any non big chain gyms in this area, like some place in a basement where big scary guys lift big scary weights?

Thanks for any and all help.
spikeeleon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
virign active in printworks
teriaki
Rep:
?
(Original post by spikeeleon)
virign active in printworks
Thats a bit far for me.
Friendly_cow
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
theres also a virgin on deansgate, the y club in castlefield, theres a cheap one opening in spinningfields for £10 a month or something like that but they are all quite a distance from you

theres the gym above wilmslow park but thats quite expensive i believe
Quoz
Report 9 years ago
virgin active in east didsbury... or galleon (5 min walk from pars woods)... I joined galleon this week after using sugden last year. Has all the equipment you need and isnt any where near as crowded. Got squat rack, and a nice mill press rack too ;o All been refurbed over the summer, so equipment and weight is brand new.
spikeeleon
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by teriaki)
Thats a bit far for me.
there's this new gym opening in manchester soon ... its called the gym
The Gym
Level 4
City Tower
2 New York Street
Manchester
M1 4HJ
Tel: 0844 873 2142
http://www.thegymgroup.com/index.asp

9.99 per month
teriaki
Rep:
?
Thanks for all these suggestions but all these places are a bit too far for me.

Has nobody really tried GL-14 or Bannatyne's?
Jim-ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
theres a gym in wilmslow park at the bottom of hathersage road
teriaki
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jim-ie)
theres a gym in wilmslow park at the bottom of hathersage road
I know but from the looks of it, its very small and mostly machine based, not much freeweights (though I base this on nothing other than what I have seen from their windows). And its supposed to be rather expensive.
teriaki
Rep:
?
Just had a look at GL-14 and Bannatynes.

Bannatynes: The main word that jumped into my mind when I saw this place was "gay". It was nice looking, had a bunch of machines spread out over so many rooms and floors that I lost count. The free weights section was rather small but it had the basics (squat rack, benches, barbells, dumbbells). And it had a rather nice 20m pool which is heated to a little too high 30 degrees. All in all not a bad place but it just didn't seem right for me.
Price: a little too much.

GL-14. Very stylish looking and extremely nice. Not a big gym but had some of the essentials. Lots of fancy equipment with some kind of Techno Gym key system to track your progress. Also had a very nice though not big pool. Free weights section was not that impressive- small and lacking a squat rack. Conclusion: really nice place but not quite it for me (though others might find it very nice).
Price: Surprisingly cheap.
n0c0ntr0l
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Platt lane complex.
_harrison_
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by spikeeleon)
there's this new gym opening in manchester soon ... its called the gym
The Gym
Level 4
City Tower
2 New York Street
Manchester
M1 4HJ
Tel: 0844 873 2142
http://www.thegymgroup.com/index.asp

9.99 per month
any reports on this? looks too good to be true!
ste0731
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by _harrison_)
any reports on this? looks too good to be true!
Seems to be the same as puregym that has just opened?
id wait for a few reviews form that first
LondonMinx
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Puregym opened last week. I went on Friday afternoon and it was not busy at all. The equipment is pretty good. I like that fact that there is CV machines with weight machines rather than them being in seperate areas.

They are going to introduce an online 'gym usage' option where you log on and it will tell you how busy it is.

For £10 you cant really complain!
sebas_back
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by teriaki)
Just had a look at GL-14 and Bannatynes.

Bannatynes: The main word that jumped into my mind when I saw this place was "gay". It was nice looking, had a bunch of machines spread out over so many rooms and floors that I lost count. The free weights section was rather small but it had the basics (squat rack, benches, barbells, dumbbells). And it had a rather nice 20m pool which is heated to a little too high 30 degrees. All in all not a bad place but it just didn't seem right for me.
Price: a little too much.

GL-14. Very stylish looking and extremely nice. Not a big gym but had some of the essentials. Lots of fancy equipment with some kind of Techno Gym key system to track your progress. Also had a very nice though not big pool. Free weights section was not that impressive- small and lacking a squat rack. Conclusion: really nice place but not quite it for me (though others might find it very nice).
Price: Surprisingly cheap.
Being on the corner of Canal Street bears no influence here of course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads