Muslim Girls- Your periods and views on contraception needed! Watch

Subcutaneous
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi,
I'm currently doing an assignment of cultural differences in womens health as part of my degree, and am doing a section on the views of menstruation, and also contraception within the islamic faith

Any girls share their feelings, what does your religion say, any rituals, how does this affect you as a woman in western society? Regarding contraception, would you ever take it?
Mask Of Sanity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Contraceptives within marriage are more often than not permitted, however some more conservative Islamic leaders have argued against the use.

Personally, yes, yes I would use it if need be.
LykkeS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I heard that if you have your period you are not suppose to fast during ramadan but then of course re-pay it later.
zillyitem90
Report 9 years ago
yes right lykke
we are forbid to fast during ramadhan when period
same as after giving birth till the blood really clean
the we have to re-pay the fast within a year by fasting on usual days.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
(Original post by zillyitem90)
yes right lykke
we are forbid to fast during ramadhan when period
same as after giving birth till the blood really clean
the we have to re-pay the fast within a year by fasting on usual days.

why are you forbid to fast? and how would this affect childbirth?!
blahbloo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by LykkeS)
I heard that if you have your period you are not suppose to fast during ramadan but then of course re-pay it later.
That is true. My friend had to fast at a different time than her muslim friends. I felt sorry for her! :p:
zillyitem90
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
why are you forbid to fast? and how would this affect childbirth?!
first because its a Islam rule. we as Muslim cannot argue it even we have to pay the fast.
however, after some opinions, maybe because during period, girls lost a lot of blood. so its will affect the girl if she fast. we know how anemia patients look like. just amagine if we ask them to fast for a day? it will burdon the individual. it just same as women after labour. this women need enough nutrients to cure the inner part of her body after giving birth and need to induce more red blood cell production to replace the blood lost
Ala'a
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
our religion talks quite openly about mensturation.
during periods women are not allowed to have sex with their husbands.
obviously because she is not clean and her vagina is bleeding :o: alot of men would find it disgusting anyways

we do not pray when having our periods
but we don't have to repay it or anything.
this is because prayer is way of connecting with god almighty, and for such a great sacred act we have to do it when we are phisically clean, that is why we perform "wudoo".

we dont fast in RAmadan while on periods
but w ehave to repay it before the next ramdan, and as mentioned above, this is because a woman looses blood and it would be hard for her to fast and stay without any intake of food, while bleeding.

But they can attend Eid prayers
this is because eid is a religious celebration, and women with periods should not be left out. they can go there meet people, but they cant pray.

you can't touch qura'an while on your periods
because this is a sacred book,its a book from god almighty , and u have to be phisically clean while touching it.

and all of this is the same for women after birth because they bleed for 40 days and all, so its almost like periods.

So im only 16 and im not really good at this, but these are general things i know i didnt really go deep into details, and i listed my own opinion too.i hope it helped
plus. i do not think it's sexists, in any means. because most women are too tired to perform any of these acts anywyas, and this is just a way to make it easier for us,women, to worship god almighty.and yeh abt contraception, people have views i personally agrre on it, and YEs i would use contraception .Pm me if u need to ask anything else. =D
good luck
Plute
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ala'a)
our religion talks quite openly about mensturation.
during periods women are not allowed to have sex with their husbands.
obviously because she is not clean and her vagina is bleeding :o: alot of men would find it disgusting anyways

we do not pray when having our periods
but we don't have to repay it or anything.
this is because prayer is way of connecting with god almighty, and for such a great sacred act we have to do it when we are phisically clean, that is why we perform "wudoo".

we dont fast in RAmadan while on periods
but w ehave to repay it before the next ramdan, and as mentioned above, this is because a woman looses blood and it would be hard for her to fast and stay without any intake of food, while bleeding.

But they can attend Eid prayers
this is because eid is a religious celebration, and women with periods should not be left out. they can go there meet people, but they cant pray.

you can't touch qura'an while on your periods
because this is a sacred book,its a book from god almighty , and u have to be phisically clean while touching it.

and all of this is the same for women after birth because they bleed for 40 days and all, so its almost like periods.

So im only 16 and im not really good at this, but these are general things i know i didnt really go deep into details, and i listed my own opinion too.i hope it helped
plus. i do not think it's sexists, in any means. because most women are too tired to perform any of these acts anywyas, and this is just a way to make it easier for us,women, to worship god almighty.and yeh abt contraception, people have views i personally agrre on it, and YEs i would use contraception .Pm me if u need to ask anything else. =D
good luck
I apologise for dragging this thread up but I was randomly flicking through H&R threads and noticed this. I'm sorry but some of those 'rules', if correct are actually absurd! You cannot touch a book when on your period because its 'unclean'? Menstruation is one of the most, if not THE most natural things in existance. Whilst I am not religious in the slightest and therefore disagree with the notion of fasting anyway, I agree that the women who do hold these beliefs should not fast while on their period. But, the idea that they cannot pray or communicate with their god during this period is actually ridiculous.

Sometimes I just can't get my head around religion.
Plute
Report 9 years ago
And also, since when does being on your period make you 'too tired' to carry out simple tasks?
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plute)
And also, since when does being on your period make you 'too tired' to carry out simple tasks?

Some women can get slightly anaemic on their periods, plus the pain- it can really tire people out, plus some research has shown that asian women are more prevelent to endometriosis, and heavy periods
Plute
Report 9 years ago
I am anaemic. And obviously get periods also. But I would never consider myself too 'frail' to carry out any activities that are usually part of my day to day life. Praying hardly asks for any strenuous activity unless there are some sort of muslim extreme religious sports that I am unaware of.
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plute)
I am anaemic. And obviously get periods also. But I would never consider myself too 'frail' to carry out any activities that are usually part of my day to day life. Praying hardly asks for any strenuous activity unless there are some sort of muslim extreme religious sports that I am unaware of.

Try and be more open minded, not all women experience the same during their period as you do. The muslim faith, has a tradition and culture surrounding menstruation, and it should be respected- in a sense its promoting the sanctity of women, depending on the way you approach it.
angel_with_horns
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I find the notion that women are unclean during their period absurd. Women are inferior to men in Islam (well they are in every religion I suppose), and where is the logic in a woman being unclean? God designed her to have periods! If God Almighty didn't want her to pray to him when 'unclean' he shouldn't have thought of the concept of a period. :rolleyes:
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
I've just written this paragraph, taken from a research by an arab american nurse, on arab american women in the USA, but with islamic faith..is it correct, anythign I may need to add?

Spoiler:
Show

Kridli (2002) discussed the impact of menstruation with Arab American women, those born in America however trace their family history back to arab countries such as Egypt, Lebanon and morocco with the majority of women belonging to the Islamic religion. (Kridli 2002).

She discussed that menarche within the muslim faith is regarded as a celebration and the change from a girl into a young woman, and is therefore expected to behave like one. This can mean starting to be aware and cover up her physical attractiveness through perhaps modest dress or even using the hijab to cover the head. (Braswell 1996, cited by Kridli 2002) Socially this can also mean an exclusion from mingling with the opposite sex, and parents controlling her social life.

Kridli (2002) discussed the methods of pain relief women may use during their menstruation such as natural herbs alongside western medicine and also the cultural belief that cold foods relate to pain, and the avoidance of them.

When considering hygiene during a womans period, the Islamic faith means many women may not shower until their period is over as they are not believed to be clean (or tahra). This can also affect her religious practices such as praying, fasting and pilgrimage, to be able to continue these practices once menstruation is over, she is required to shower. When considering feminine hygiene, due to the Islamic beliefs over the sanctity of a womans virginity tampon use is umcommon.
Plute
Report 9 years ago
Cold food relates to pain?
Subcutaneous
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plute)
Cold food relates to pain?

yes its a traditional view

open mindedness..try and get some
Ala'a
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Plute)
I apologise for dragging this thread up but I was randomly flicking through H&R threads and noticed this. I'm sorry but some of those 'rules', if correct are actually absurd! You cannot touch a book when on your period because its 'unclean'? Menstruation is one of the most, if not THE most natural things in existance. Whilst I am not religious in the slightest and therefore disagree with the notion of fasting anyway, I agree that the women who do hold these beliefs should not fast while on their period. But, the idea that they cannot pray or communicate with their god during this period is actually ridiculous.

Sometimes I just can't get my head around religion.
Hi,
Qura'an is a holy book,it is forbidden to touch the mus-haf when one is in any kind of state of impurity, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): "… which none can touch except the purified." [al-Waaqi’ah 56:79].and by unclean i mean not pure.
and this is not being sexist and does not make any difference between men and women.
After sex men cannot pray or touch qura'an too until they clean up .
And anyways any person who touches the qura'an is supposed to pure and clean , this is why we perform "wudoo", both men and women.

So as a rule, a person should not touch the qura'an when they are unpure, one of the stateS of impurity are women on menses and natal birth.
But women can recite Qura'an and perform dua' (ask god for forgiveness) during their periods, it is also permissible to move the Qur'an using a seperate piece of cloth, not attached to the Qur'an- therefore creating a barrier.

And if Islam has excused women from some compulsory worship acts (such as praying or fasting which are pillars of the Islam) this is only because islam is an easy reliegion and it does not want to overburden the beleivers.

and maybe you find it easy to do your everyday stuff while on your period , but some other women really suffer, i mean sometimes i can't go to school,i faint and i throw up.

anyways, your free to ask anything, i would be glad to discuss it with you.
humz2
Badges: 15
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by angel_with_horns)
I find the notion that women are unclean during their period absurd. Women are inferior to men in Islam (well they are in every religion I suppose), and where is the logic in a woman being unclean? God designed her to have periods! If God Almighty didn't want her to pray to him when 'unclean' he shouldn't have thought of the concept of a period. :rolleyes:
I've seen that you've done a lot of Biology homework
angel_with_horns
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by humz2)
I've seen that you've done a lot of Biology homework
This has nothing to do with biology, and everything to do with how in Islam a woman is seen as unclean when she's on her period. End of.

EDIT: if you mean the biological concept of getting rid of lining of the womb to form a new one etc etc then surely "Allah" should have thought of a better way of going about this, one which would not make women "unclean".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.71%
No - but I will (55)
7.08%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.01%

Watched Threads