Oh my god... I'M A TOTAL LONER Watch

Stank_Wain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I only atteneded a couple of my freshers events and didn't have the courage to meet anyone and now that it's done I feel like I cannot meet anybody.

What should I do? I really want to make a large circle of friends like I had back in high school but it's really difficult, like, starting all over again. It's like I've forgotten to walk. What are some of the best ways?
Waterjames
Report 9 years ago
Sometimes you gotta just be friendly and play the waiting game.. you started your lectures yet?? theres big chances there..
RamocitoMorales
Badges: 21
Report 9 years ago
It is difficult. I really wish I could help.
hannahhi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
When you start your lectures etc I'm sure you'll make new friends there, and then if you ever go out anywhere with them you'll probably meet their friends and then it's up to you and make an effort, introduce yourself and get involved.
flowermaster91
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
:hugs: I would've been your friend :emo:

This makes me even more nervous now, before I didn't care but now :erm:. But just go up to anyone really, you do have the courage!! Just be confident in yourself, was there anyone you talked to just at least a tiny bit? you could go up to them or anyone and just talk to them. I doubt you'll get ridiculed (is that how you spell it?)
Smtn
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Move fast, soon cliques will exist and it'll be harder to make new friends. People are very welcoming in freshers week, but not necessarily after
Kanye West
Report 9 years ago
Be yourself and give it time.

If you're still stuck a couple of weeks in then join some societies where you're forced to chat to other people. :smile:
TheBlindestPilot
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Freshers sucks donkey c*ck. You just have to look at any of the acts playing.. anywhere. Certainly not my cup of tea. I made all of my friends progressively throughout the year, now I have an amazing bunch whom I'm moving in with on Saturday. Hooray!
riotgrrrl
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Stank_Wain)
I only atteneded a couple of my freshers events and didn't have the courage to meet anyone and now that it's done I feel like I cannot meet anybody.

What should I do? I really want to make a large circle of friends like I had back in high school but it's really difficult, like, starting all over again. It's like I've forgotten to walk. What are some of the best ways?
join a club, its the best best way. join now. DO IT

I joined taekwondo, not because I wanted to make more friends but for loads of reasons and mostly cos a friend said come and I wasn't doing anything at the time, but some of my closest friends are now from it. ITs fun and everyones learning and its not that daunting
wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by TheBlindestPilot)
Freshers sucks donkey c*ck. You just have to look at any of the acts playing.. anywhere. Certainly not my cup of tea. I made all of my friends progressively throughout the year, now I have an amazing bunch whom I'm moving in with on Saturday. Hooray!
I hope you're not saying this to make the OP feel better, because I genuinely can't be arsed with Freshers and I don't want to do it just because I think that if I don't, I'll end up with hardly any mates.
Phugoid
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I met loadssss of people at Freshers week.

But guess what. None of them are in my close circle of uni friends.

The people you meet at freshers week tend to be on different courses, have different timetables, different lifestyles, etc. So even if you did meet loads of people at freshers week, it would be highly unlikely that you'd have made any ground for lasting friendship.

I still see people I met at fresher's week around uni, and know their names, and nod and acknowledge them as they walk past, but I certainly don't hang out with them, or go nights out with them.

The people I do hang out with are people I met on my course. That's were most people meet their long-lasting friends (and in halls). You still have that ahead of you, I trust?

Remember, too, that you can join university societies at any point during the year. You don't have to join at fresher's week and these open many, many doors for meeting new people. If there aren't any societies that interest you... then create one! Usually a university will let you create one if you can find a certain number of people to kick it off initially, and you can acquire interest by sending emails to the entire uni, or putting leaflets up around campus.

And remember, finally, that it is entirely up to you whether or not there are opportunities to meet new people and make friends. A lot of people will open up for freshers' week, and then as soon as it is finished, close up again. There is NO deadline for making friends and introducing yourself to new people, and there are no limits to the number of different ways and different places that you can create and exploit opportunities to meet people.

We are a social species, and from the beginning of our lives until the end of our lives, we're mostly willing to meet new people and accept them into our lives - the people are out there, you just have to introduce yourself to them, regardless of what week it is.
flowermaster91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
I hope you're not saying this to make the OP feel better, because I genuinely can't be arsed with Freshers and I don't want to do it just because I think that if I don't, I'll end up with hardly any mates.
Is that Ando from Heroes as your avatar? sorry i know random question lol
noodles!
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I met my friends through my course, I didn't really go to many freshers events and didn't have the guts to join any societies.

And if I can still find friends anyone can, so you'll be fine
Maxien78
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Stank_Wain)

Know how you feel, i only know a few people who went to the same uni but they're doing different degrees so i will bearly see them. Most of freshers was spent on my own but i didn't mind.

Wait until the teaching starts because then you can get to know people in the same groups as you, you can study together and will be able to relate in some way or other.

If you still feel you can't interact with people then join a society, films. medics, fashion, gaming, anything really. There will always be someone about who enjoys the same things as you, before you know it you will be part of a large or small group of friends

Good luck!
Maxien78
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by flowermaster91)

Hahaha noooo, thats some guy from Gossip girl.
flowermaster91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Maxien78)
Hahaha noooo, thats some guy from Gossip girl.
:indiff:
yas_22
Report 9 years ago
join societies etc. you'll meet people once lectures start. it can be very daunting at first but freshers isn't the only way to make (if any) friends!
Kerbiggaboo
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, basically just reiterating what was said above.

Join clubs/societies, be active.
Be very friendly and talk to just about everybody you see. If you do this, you'll be the person who knows everyone!
If you feel a little nervous about it, do the following:
1) Ignore it and just go for it.
Or
2) Imagine the worst case scenarios and realise that they will NEVER happen. Then look at point 1.

wanderlust.xx
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by flowermaster91)
Yes, yes it is. :woo:
flowermaster91
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by wanderlust.xx)
Yes, yes it is. :woo:
Woop! everyone watch out for sylar
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads