Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im just wondering has anybody ever took a NPLQ (national Pool Life Guard Qualification), im thinking of doing the course my self.

Im not the classic life guard, im not very thin, but im not FAT! Im in the gym every other day doin wieghts and do stupid things like 40 mins on the X Trainer. Im not an athlete tho, defo not an olympic swimmer, does this matter?

Whats the exam like etc?

Tell me!

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    no one then?!

ReputationRep:
    i don't know what the exams like but i think it'll be important how alert you are, probably need good eyesight, i'd recommend being a strong swimmer as if you need to you will be swiiming with another persons weight added to yours so it will be useful

other than that, good luck

ReputationRep:
    you may find THIS useful. Good luck.

http://www.lifeguardtraining.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    yeh ive seen that site, just looking for others experience's of it really.

Ta.

ReputationRep:
    I've done it.

Piece of piss. It runs for 15 weeks practical training (which any competent swimmer can acheive) which I think is pretty lame considering its saving lives.
    The exam is all about health and safety and a short revision is needed beforehand. Although you can be proud once you have finished, your papers only last for 2 years I think.

I swam for Copthall in Barnet for 12 years 3 dats a week and then quite due to wanting a social life.

ReputationRep:
    Most importantly can you oggle girls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jax_)
    Most importantly can you oggle girls?
    I know its a bad thing to do, but you get some girls with gorgeous figures in a swimming costume that can only be described as 'your deepest fantasy'.
    The worst thing is though - 'your in swimming trunks' :eek:
    Just make sure those swimming trunks are like simon cowells trousers and hit your belly button.

ReputationRep:
    so u think any one who can swim from a to b? i thought the NPLQ was a week course foloowed by an Exam? I used to work in a leisure centre in there cafe and i swore it was that, i went back last week and this really built life guard (used to be a bouncer) was there so if he can do it just cos ive got a little bit of flab on me dunt mean i cant, does it!?

ReputationRep:
    i live in northern ireland and i have a bronze medallion (lifeguarding certificate) i don't know if you have it in england. its basically first aid and swimming although the swimming is not hard as there is only one timed swim which is easy done and the rest is common sense.

ReputationRep:
    cheers james i think the timed swim is 50 meters in anystyle in less that 60 seconds thats pretty easy i guess.

ReputationRep:
    I done mine 5 years ago and counting . . . . . . .
    Can't remember the exact details, but the first aid was a right bore although I did cheekily try and do it on some hot chick which did eventually pay off but otherwise its one of those dolls.

I can't remember the exact amount of weeks it ran for but I gave up in the region of about something like 15 weeks of friday nights in Southgate N14 to achieve this. I thought it would be fun being a lifeguard, but found the job to be a coimplete bore and having to get used to the cheekiness of 13 year old girls and boys. The days were so slow and pay was diabolical. I got paid £4.50 an hour some 5 years ago.

Had a few people pass out in the steam room - and most unfortunately none of them were young and none of them were female, none had real teeth, none were basically 'doable'. Thats when I decided the job wasn't for me. Become a beech lifeguard, more enjoyment, better challenge and harder practical and your out in the sun all day lapping it up.

ReputationRep:
    but did u find the course and exam very enduring (physically) on a scale of one to ten?

ReputationRep:
    i don't know about the NPLQ but the bronze medallion is alright. btw the timed swim for it is 3 mins 15 seconds to swim 50 metres then another 50 metres towing a casulty (Bronze medallion). i think it's more theory than physical. btw do you have the bronze medallion in England?

ReputationRep:
    i have a ex-mate who is quite big, fat even and shes a lifegard and not an olympic swimmer.

just go for it

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.