Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Went to the orthdontist today to get my brace tightened and i thought id post something about brace's on here.

I had a series of retainer braces for a year and half and now im on to my fixed braces. Its fair to say my teeth were a mess before the braces, i went through high school feeling diffrent than the others, although i was never bullied. Now i feel great and have this sense of a new person about me because my teeth are gettin nice and straight!

Ive had a retainer brace (twin block appliance) that i couldnt speak with but stuck it out and now the benifits are definatly showing, ive still got another 2 years left of treatment but i kno it will be worth it.

Have any of you lot had braces (im sure you have!), and what is your oppinion on them?

Cheers! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    yea ive had them. they were terrible at the time. had to get 4 teeth out and the tightening was agony for days afterwards as it was like having every tooth sensitive to the slightest pressure. yoghurt was about the most i could eat.

i guess at the moment i dont appreciate the difference. my teeth werent bad to begin, but they are just about perfect now. i suppose i'll notice it more when im older and have nice teeth.

ReputationRep:
    i have braces at the mo, do you know how long we have to have them for?

ReputationRep:
    I've had them for over a year now, I've got another year to go. I'll be dissapointed when I have them out because it will stop me finding pieces of food stuck in my brace to put me on in between meals. :p:

Seriously though, I don't reallyt think they make a difference to me.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have braces - I didn't mind so much having the big hunk of metal in my face, it's once the brace is removed and you have to wear a retainer. Those retainers are just the most brilliant anti-friend device: you can't help but spit all over people, nobody can understand a word you're saying, and you waste a good 10 seconds of your life everytime you try and swallow becuse it takes so much effort!

I actually refused to wear my retainer, and now my teeth have slipped back to the way they were. So the moral of the story is, wear the retainer!

ReputationRep:
    Can you get braces which you can take out. Coz I wana straighten out my bottom teeth, but I don't want the proper ones that are attached. Is this what a retainer is?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O_Ren)
    Can you get braces which you can take out. Coz I wana straighten out my bottom teeth, but I don't want the proper ones that are attached. Is this what a retainer is?!
    yeah thats what exactly a retainer is...it is a removable appliance yeah i am wearin braces at the minute and they will soon be off hopefully in august-september xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kinza75)
    i have braces at the mo, do you know how long we have to have them for?
    usually you have braces for at least 2 years or depending on how mild to severe your case is xoxo

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I had braces too for a rather long time actually (but that waas because my teeth started falling back into their original position, I have a fixed retainer like Dave ^). But yeah, the difference is aastounding, love it. Also quite enjoyed co-ordinating my teeth with my clothes too

ReputationRep:
    Usually you have the fixed metal braces for a period of time, then once that's taken off they make you wear the retainer just to make sure the teeth don't go back.

ReputationRep:
    I actually missed my braces when i had them taken off!!! it felt really wierd and your teeth feel all slippery!!! braces are definately worth the agony though, my teeth were a mess to start off with and now are nice and straight although i think they have moved bit since
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I had them for roughly 4 years (fixed and retainer). They hurt like hell at first, but I got used to them, and eventually got round to liking them. I had them off early last year, and my teeth have moved a little, but they're miles better than they were before. I think they're a good idea, and I definitely wouldn't object to, say, my kids having them. They're worth the pain, and teach you how to look after your teeth.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh they actaully rule! Ive had a years worth of Retainer Treatment, And i suspect 18 - 24 months is the normal time ppl wear a fixed appliance, i was talking about it at work the other day and we were sayin that in USA lots of kids wear them and we were wondering wether they are compulsary? IMHO I think that we should all wear them if we have bad teeth, your smile should be the most important feature of you.

Before i had mine i never used to like smiling and i do it all the time now, even tho ive got this big lump f metal in my mouth but hey! who cares.

ReputationRep:
    I have had my fixed braces(traintracks) in for so long now(must be over a year i recon) I don't notice them, at first they hurt a bit for a couple of weeks but i easily got over that. The worse thing are the functional appliances, big chunks of plastic that fill your mouth to force your jaw into a better shape, it was awful but really worth it I no long have a noticible overbite my teeth are well spaced, I saw an old photo of me today and coudnt believe how horrible they used to be. I have no idea how much longer I will have to wear this fixed brace for, I hope not too long cause I may have to start paying, especially when i break it (ouch now THAT is painful).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave_G03)
    Yeh they actaully rule! Ive had a years worth of Retainer Treatment, And i suspect 18 - 24 months is the normal time ppl wear a fixed appliance, i was talking about it at work the other day and we were sayin that in USA lots of kids wear them and we were wondering wether they are compulsary? IMHO I think that we should all wear them if we have bad teeth, your smile should be the most important feature of you.

Before i had mine i never used to like smiling and i do it all the time now, even tho ive got this big lump f metal in my mouth but hey! who cares.
    Yeah, in the USA I think it is compulsory for most kids to have braces (My friend's mum who's American said she was given them very young), and it's a pretty popular thing in Chile too - especially for adults, which I thought was odd! I agree that anyone who has bad teeth should wear them - they make SUCH a difference, and it's kinda more natural than surgery or wearing make up in a way, don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    I had braces a few years back. Except, my jaw was so out of line I had to have one of those head braces. :eek:

You know, one of those that straps round your head with 2 metal prongs that slot into the sides of the retainer you wear in your mouth. These 'prongs' poke out and are attached by elastic to the strap.

The end result? You look like a right pratt! Luckily I only had to wear it at home. After that I went onto the more convential traintracks.

ReputationRep:
    hve got a retainer at the moment... by the time i can get rid of them, i would have had braces for 7 years :eek: my teeth were a mess

ReputationRep:
    I've got braces (metal train-tracks on top & bottom, & elastics). Before I had them, I was debating for several years whether to go ahead with treatment or not & visited several different orthodontists.

Although now I am happy with the treatment and the dentist. (i've suffered no pain at all). I regret delaying it as now i'm coming upto 17 years in August & everyone else has finished their treatment.

I think braces make people seem younger. What does everyone else think?

Does everyone have a retainer afterwards? And can you get one where you can just where at night rather than 24/7?

x

ReputationRep:
    have u pulled some one with your elastics!? Just cos im gettin elastics soon and just wondered wether it makes ne diff!?

ReputationRep:
    Is it too late to get braces at 18?!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.