Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Nope, you can have your teeth straightened at any age!
    However as you are 18, the treatment won't be free and you'll probably end up paying quite a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_xNicx_x)
    I actually missed my braces when i had them taken off!!! it felt really wierd and your teeth feel all slippery!!!
    I felt the same - I'd got braces aged nearly 27 and had them for about two years (though being a bit of a coward I went for the ceramic brackets which didn't show nearly as much as metal). They finally came off last September and I actually missed them, and my teeth definitely felt strangely smooth and slippery. I'm really glad I did it, despite the cost and inconvenience, not to mention the occasional embarrassment... The retainers I had to wear 24 hours a day after the braces came off were the worst - I used to take them out if I needed to speak to anyone at work because I sounded like an idiot until I learned to speak with them in! I've now got permanent wire retainers behind my front upper and lower teeth as well as removable retainers for night-time use. Here's hoping my teeth will stay put - I don't think I could afford to do it again!

ReputationRep:
    how likely are teeth to be moved back after braces are finnished with? just wondering....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O_Ren)
    Is it too late to get braces at 18?!
    Of course not - people get braces at all sorts of ages!

ReputationRep:
    you can get braces wenever you want but its best to start when your jaw is still growing as its much more quicker most get them 12-14 years old but i got mine @ 15/16, but you can get them whenever you want, although you prob wont get them on the NHS (Dental Care on the NHS stops @ 18 (19 if in Uni) or unless your on benifits), and ive seen the prices and there HUGE!

www.oasisdentalcare.com is my orthodontist's have a butchers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Channy)
    how likely are teeth to be moved back after braces are finnished with? just wondering....
    They will inevitably move a little while the bite settles once the braces have been removed, but provided you wear the retainers the move shouldn't be noticeable (I think my orthodontist mentioned fractions of a millimetre, though I could be making that up). Having fixed retainers behind the front teeth is also supposed to help keep the teeth in place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave_G03)
    you can get braces wenever you want but its best to start when your jaw is still growing as its much more quicker most get them 12-14 years old but i got mine @ 15/16, but you can get them whenever you want, although you prob wont get them on the NHS (Dental Care on the NHS stops @ 18 (19 if in Uni) or unless your on benifits), and ive seen the prices and there HUGE!
    My dentist initially referred me to an NHS orthodontist who would have charged me about £300 for metal braces, or about £1,000 for clear. I didn't like the look of him and went private, which meant paying a lot more. My point is that it may be possible to get them on the NHS relatively cheaply even if you're 18, although it may depend on where you live...

ReputationRep:
    Is it too late to get braces at 18?!
    I think Tom Cruise had braces a couple of years back, so I guess not.

ReputationRep:
    i had the removable appliance things for my overbite, i didn't wear them at school because it was just impossible, not only could i not speak, i looked awful. i've had 3 teeth out (milk teeth which wanted to stay put) and have had traintracks for over 2 years. One of my teeth didn't want to come down so my orthodontist cut the gum around it and attached a bracket to it to pull it into line (it was almost in the middle of my palette), that's now in line but that really halted the main tightening so i'm back to that now, it doesn't hurt when it's tightened anymore. My orthod's not very helpful but i think i'm going to be wearing them another year at least.
    I actually think my teeth were better before!! But once they did the jaw reallignment (was totally undone when i got traintracks, but now i'm practically in line as my top teeth have been tightened) it messed them all up.. And i had 2 adult teeth that were never going to come down without removing the milk teeth, which couldn't have been good..
    It's now really annoying because trying to get into pubs/clubs, without ID is really putting me off as i think they think i must be 14, when in less than a year i will be 18 (still with braces i guess).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave_G03)
    have u pulled some one with your elastics!? Just cos im gettin elastics soon and just wondered wether it makes ne diff!?
    Take da elastics out it you're going to (but obviously plan in ahead)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 12, 2005
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.